RF2 and SSD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul_Ceglia, Dec 18, 2013.

1. View attachment 11199

Ok I will pop up out of the sewer to explain (sorry if I was miss understood)

Movies, music, downloads, back up and general crap that everyone builds up on there hard drives over the years are best on external drives, and really away from your computer any way. (nas, usb what ever).

I was trying to say to benefit fully from ssd drives, you are best getting two and raid them as one drive and only use that for your OS and program files. for example...

2 x Corsair 240GB Force Series GS SSD

That would give you a 460GB drive (no need to create cross references to a separate drive for programs)

removing the hdd disc drives from internal sata to external storage.

This is only suggesting that windows will constantly map through all internal drives for reference and system checking where as if they are external, windows wont map them unless asked to (ie when you request)

I am not trying to say hdd raid is faster then ssd, I am just saying is it worth it?

If my missus found out I had spent £200 on some drives to give me 5 seconds faster loading times, she would chop something off !!!!
    :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2013
  2. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

And if you found out she spent £200 on a concoction of extracts from animals and plants to make her look 5 seconds younger would you want to do her some physical damage? If so you probably best not ever look too closely in her wardrobe, handbag, or bathroom cabinet.... not to mention the secret hidey hole (they all have a secret hidey hole that we don't know about) . Anyway in short there's some things that we spend too much money on that they do NOT need to know about! And they have that same right.

Raid yourself right up and when you're finished raiding; Bodnar yourself right up. Just always reduce the price by 90% if that ever comes up. I promise you they do it too for the very same reason... oh they just wouldn't understand *sigh*

3. smithaz

smithaz Registered

It depends what you want out of an SSD.
    If you want windows to boot quicker and be all round quicker, get an SSD.
    If you want rF2 to load quicker, dont bother with an SSD.
    If you want most other games to load quicker, get an SSD.
    If you don't want to spend £200 for only a substantial performance increase then unlucky, your loss.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well that's why I said I'm paranoid before I mentioned reliability... apart from some early SSDs that had issues I doubt it's actually a problem. It's like I prefer a wired mouse and keyboard because the thought of 'suddenly' having flat batteries every 3-6-12 months is irritating enough for me to just avoid it completely. Quite irrational, but there you go :)

And the 'negligible improvement on startup' was in the context of big data files (music, movies, etc) that you don't actually need to read any faster. I wasn't talking about PC startup.

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Could some explain why putting large files like videos on a slow USB or NAS is an advantage?

6. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

USB no idea, but with NAS they are accessible to all the computers,tablets,smart tv's etc on your network, I use a unRaid which makes use of your old junk to build a parity backed up array, being that it runs linux it also is my media streamer (plex, xbmc, squeezebox), torrent box, dedi server if ISI would do it etc. It is obviously not advantageous for speed and pointless if you don't have a network.

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Well yeah I understand the benefits of going NAS although I don't buy into NAS either. I have all my storage in a server that sleeps when idle and only uses 7watts when sleeping and wakes almost instantly when someone hits it over the network.

I really was wanting this guy to explain why he feels you only get full speed benefits from SSDs if you take your rotating drives out of your machine and put them on slow USB ports or slow NASs. The logic is very flawed if you ask me.

8. With all due respect....

Tic-tac-toe
    snake and ladders
    and twister are silly games I like playing :D

Repeating my self, devils advocate and mind games are pointless ;)

Most people cant afford NAS or a server, which from your point of view, then yeah! usb would sound pointless, good for you.
    :D

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Who needs an official "server" OS, Windows XP will do just fine. I'm just still confused about why you
    Think an SSD is pointless without moving your other disks outside of your machine. But this thread isn't going anywhere. So we might as well move on.

10. sigh!
    ok Noel, I will try and explain mate.

You can either let windows train you on how it wants to run or you can train windows on how you want it to run. (but you already know this, if you run a server)

In my experience over the years of working with windows since 3.1, the best advice I can give anyone is...

Keep things simple, synchronised and segregated. If you run windows with a mass of multiple different drives attached inside on the motherboard, windows maps, maintains and monitors those drives constantly.

If most people knew what windows gets up to or reports without us knowing, half of you would not even want to boot your pc's.

I personally don't understand why people want to keep movies and music stored on pc's or network. The only thing I have stored on my storage drive is back up files and artwork.

Cross referencing and extended file paths across drives just adds to additional processes and the potential to miss matches and dropped packets.

;)

11. What would I do with ssd and why.....

If I was to buy ssd I would first reset my motherboard bios, I would raid two together as one drive, set it up as I want it to work and do a fresh install of windows onto them. I would never install another slower drive into it. So the computer would only know the speed of ssd and would only run at the speed of ssd.

If you want a hdd for storage, put it into something that is not going to get constantly mapped through (ie usb)

But I guess this is just me.
    :D

12. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

You're probably not being serious at this point, but I guess that if you assume that most people use a RAID setup, your "worries" make a bit more sense. Still... wow.

13. ;)

But RAID is incorporated into every machine as standard now, why wouldn't you use it ?

We are all happy to raid our graphics cards why not the hard drive :)

I worked on an old IBM server, many moons ago. Dual cpu and it hard 24 ultra wide fast scsi 2.4GB hard drives, It was blistering fast in its time.

Raided drives are fun and if you have it use it :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  14. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Ah, I see now. Happy new year in advance!

15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yes I really don't need lessons on training windows. I've been around before Windows existed. Been in the profession sense 3.0. Been on the internet before a stack was built into windows.

I can tell you why people keep music and movies on their machines.... get this..... listen to music and watch movies. I know I know... it was a tricky one.

NTFS Junction points across drives isn't going to cause problems. Miss matches and dropped packets. What on earth are you talking about.

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

FYI, two SSDs in RAID0 is a total waste because even a single SSD is already at the limit of the SATA3.0 bus. Not only that but reliability drops when you go from a single drive to RAID0. And all for no gain. RAID0 on rotating drives makes sense if you want to get more speed out of slow drives, but it is no where near as fast as even a slow SATA2.0 SSD.

17. :)

I keep my music on my ipod and movies... once I have watched them, I am not fussed about watching them again ;)

I never said hdd's are faster then ssd's ;)

NTFS!!!! (Why would you not download Linux suse free and run that a server) but I never said there is a problem with running a server, I guess its what ever floats your boat :)

So one ssd will perform at the same speed as two raided ssd's ?

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I keep my music and videos on one place. I use Subsonic to serv the music for my iDevices and XBMC on a HTPC to watch movies and listen to music. I use OpenRemote to control everything.

So you have a problem with NTFS now too? You run Windows but don't like NTFS?!? Are you one of those that wants to hold on to the past with FAT or something.

One SSD will perform just a fraction slower than two in RAID0 because a single SSD is almost fully saturating the 6Gb bus. Have you looked at the specs on SSD in the past few years? A single SSD runs about 530MB. An SATA3.0 bus runs 6Gb (750MB/Sec). So yeah you gain a little speed but it isn't worth the reduced reliability. If you really want to get faster you have to ditch SATA and go with PCIe. An x16 slot can run 32GB/Sec.

19. I don't have a problem with NTFS, Linux, Unix or OS Mac. They are all fun to run and use ;)

Yeah PCIe is impressive ;)

Subsonic, iDevices and OpenRemote nice good for you.

I keep my movies one place too....

The cinema :D

It is all good and it nice to see a saturation of different things now a days that can be used.

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I try that sometimes but always fall asleep. Hahaha. :) Being 6'2" makes it hard too.

Speaking of music though, I recently switched to Google Music. Now that there is finally a native iOS app I made the move. So far so good. The one thing I really liked about Subsonic though is that the iOS client I used (iSub) had some nice caching options that Google Music lacks. Google Music only caches albums if you tell it to. Then when you fill up the phone you are forced to go in manually and deleted the cashed albums you don't want anymore. With iSub you simply tell it how much storage to use for cache and it cached everything you play. If the cache is full and you play something new, it automatically removes old stuff (based on last played time) to make room for new stuff. It is all seamless. So you have access to your entire music library without ever having to sync with iTunes or decide what you want to part with to make room for new stuff.

Unless I stay on top of Google Music I am going to eat through my data plan.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013