RF2 and SSD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul_Ceglia, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

I have a stupid question, will rf2 benefit from being on an ssd? I would assume loading would be faster but will FPS have an improvment?? thanks

2. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Only loading times will be affected. Others stuff are calculated by different components.

However 10 s track loading is so much nicer than 20-30 s (or longer depends on a track). :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2013
  3. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I don't see why the loading times would be much quicker. Software dictates speed too and rF2 isn't all optimized.

4. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I think the loading times are very slow although I have rf2 installed on my SSD. Track loading times are slow but they are nothing compared to when entering "vehicle" section in main menu to choose cars (spinner view). ~15 seconds. The more cars I have installed, the slower it is... and I don't think I have THAT many cars.

Loading Spa 1966 took me 25 seconds (it was the latest track I've loaded), with no AI's. Loading online opponents is also very slow.

AC takes 3 seconds to load 1 car 1 track. Rf2 is a sloth ;)

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I've just removed my ssd drive (just to test as I was getting a few strange things happen ),

I have a good standard 2tb wd HD drive in, I can't really notice any difference except when opening a browser or a window on the desktop -it's totally instant with the ssd but just "quick" with the standard hard drive, window 7 might be taking a tad longer to boot up too but not by much.

Think I'm just going to house my ssd drive to use as an external backup drive,
    But will go for another ssd drive when they are much larger & prices reduce ( to use as the only drive in the PC)

With rf2 load times etc don't seem any different although I tested my ram (by taking some out) & I noticed track load Times reduce a lot

Think it's a combination of things for load times not just hard drives (but includes the hard drive especially if you don't have a quick one) +I do think rf2 software tends to be a tad "clunky" eg slow menus/load times etc

6. elbo

elbo Registered

I saw no difference whatsoever when I moved my rfactor2 to ssd.

7. Miro

Miro Registered

This is something I noticed recently too but it is not like it needed longer and longer with more cars. It was just all of sudden like that. I need forever to get into the car section. Now when I think about it it was about the same time as I installed the Lola from Pixim. Will check back and report again.

8. Miro

Miro Registered

Nope, has nothing to do with the Lola, still massive loading times for the car section.

9. Minibull

Minibull Member

I always use the selection menu in list mode, the spinner takes too long to load up. When I change it to list, it always loads quicker.
    I also changed the car varient/modification menu to the one with the mock garage setup. Seems to load quicker than the default black background render.

10. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

hmmm intresting, over the christmas break I will be wiping out my hard drives and ssd and putting my new gpu and a new larger ssd (120gb) in . I currentlly have 2 10,000rpm WD veloceraptors. and a 60 gig ssd. I was going to put Rf on the new samsung ssd i bought but from what im reading it wont have any benefit. I assume many of you with an ssd are using the new sata3? I have an older system with sata2 so i will not get the full speed that my new ssd can output but when i update my MB, CPU and RAM ill have the right ssd when the time comes. thanks for all your thoughts :D

11. Scott Beck

Scott Beck Registered

Selected menu in list mode? What is that and where do you set it?

12. Minibull

Minibull Member

It's up the top right when you are in the car or track selection menus.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

no FPS improvement but loading times are quicker, did a test when I switched to SSD.

14. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

well, i was very frustrated of how long it takes to rF to load all my packages, when i select All tracks and cars it takes ages for the game to load everything it needs, than when i try to select track, again, wait ages, and yet again when it comes to selecting car, so i uninstalled my rF and installed it on my other HDD which is 5X faster in both reading and writing, sadly, it made completelly no difference, my RAMs have data bandwith of 16GB/s so they deffinatelly arnt the problem

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

it was the obvious problem of using all cars all tracks that was flagged up in early beta.....fell on deaf ears!

16. osella

osella Registered

Moving rf2 to SSD made almost no difference to loading times whatsover on my machine as well. I assume CPU matters more in rf2 loading times but overall rf2 loadings are not the fastest out there.
    Better not waste precious space of SSD.

17. johnsclander

johnsclander Registered

Same here. I not buyed just for Rfactor 2 but was one of the bigger reasons. Really desapointed.

18. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I run all my games from SSD, and RF2 is definitly one of the slowest loading. Something's a bottleneck and not the SSD...

19. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Oh I never realized the menu-loads could have something to do with the amount of content installed. And indeed it has slowly gotten worse.
    On top of that list-view always jumps back to Tiles so i'm constantly having to change it.
    Don't help much that all-cars is gone whenever a new vmod was acquired online.

Somehow there seems to be a loading issue in rf2 across the board, I can't put my finger on it as I lack the tech knowledge. or any knowledge for that matter, but whenever something needs to load it often go's fubar, whether its a vmod, a skin, menus, server lobby, laggy menu's when a server has lag, back to lobby upon server-join for no reason, sudden ctd's, etc.

If its the amount of content slowing things down then I can't wait for my league to get dedicated to rf2 so I can just run the stuff I need and skip everything else :)

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Interesting thread here. rF1 hugely benefited from fast storage. I ran my league install in a ram drive and it was dramatically faster. I haven't bothered trying a ramdrive with rF2.

I also haven't watched the CPU load while loading a track to see if that is the bottleneck. I suspect some threading could help with load times. It was suggested to me that MAS compression levels may impact load times so for the hell of it I repacked Sebring and disabled MAS compression. The track went from 95mb to 380mb but load time only dropped 2secs.