Returning lifetime license, how to use now?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Aus_James, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Aus_James

Aus_James Registered

Hi there,

I am returning to rFactor 2, I bought a lifetime license when it was released but didn't seem to "upgrade" or convert it to Steam.
    How do I go about doing this now?
    cheers,
    James

2. bwana

bwana Registered

You have to buy it again , wait for a sale to get it at a bargain price..

3. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

You were sent an email with plenty of time given to act on it.to transfer over to steam,you obviously missed that opportunity so like the above post states,you will have to buy again

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Please see this recent thread for the relevant dev response:

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/activating-rf2-now.57722/

To use a modern cliché - it is what it is.

You can still find the last non-steam version on I think the ISI site (I linked someone to it somewhere on here... don't search my posts, that'll take aaaaaages) and enjoy most of the updates and content without needing to buy anything more.

Here it is, think they still work (they aren't live links, just need to copy paste)
    http://web.archive.org/web/20170707122953/http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/legacydl/

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

This is not true.
    I never got any email before transferring to Steam. I haven't seen anybody confirming that email except for an affected guy confirming he received it only one week before the free transfer period ended (and got into spam folder). I knew about the deadline because I read the forum daily.

Guimengo likes this.
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This is why we shouldn't re enter the whole argument. We know what the deal is, we only need to let people know what that deal is. No point justifying it one way or the other, it won't lead to anything. Just take 1098 as is or pay for the steam version.

vegaguy5555 and bwana like this.
  7. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

Can also wait for a sale - add it to Steam Wishlist and then wait.

I love it so much I paid full price again for the Steam release, but I recognise not everyone can afford to do that

vegaguy5555 and bwana like this.
  8. stonec

stonec Registered

Yeah the e-mail does not matter. You can still use ISI rF2 1098 non-Steam, the product still works just as it did a year ago. You should even be able to host online races with it. If you want to use S397 Steam rF2 version, then consider it a new product (with DX11 + upcoming UI) that you have to buy again.

9. Hellraiserau

Hellraiserau Registered

WTF if this is true thats bs as i have paid for life time licence i expect full access to game and installers if i have to buy game again i will be demanding a refund simple

10. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

11. bwana

bwana Registered

Demanding a refund from who ? ..

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Re.lifetine license

Things changed & it's only great news
    I also purchased lifetime ,
    the good news is you'll always keep the lifetime ( which ever Rfactor2 version you use) it's simply impossible to loose it & not just that but everyone also has lifetine access to multiplayer too thus more partisapation

win win & it simply couldn't be better

13. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

I think OP problem is that they now can't upgrade to Steam, so can only use multiplayer with people on the same version, which is a steadily declining number I suspect.
    I guess a good question to ask, why can't Steam transfer be available for ever?

Guimengo likes this.
  14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It is easier to deal with a few unhappy and unorganized customers rather than with a whole unhappy community.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think there are at least 2 factors in this: first, verifying that a person has a valid license requires help from ISI (which has offloaded rF2 now; perhaps the database or whatever has been transferred too, but not sure), but then 'creating' a new steam license may also require some assistance from steam (purchases go through steam, not S397, so presumably steam actually handles things). Maybe there's a limited window where they were able to do these transfers before they need to pay (or the cost increases) and it therefore made no sense to keep supporting it.

All speculation, no doubt, but the bottom line is that's how it is. And we can argue about whether it's justified all day or not, but it won't change things.

I am constantly surprised by how many people are freshly insulted by this, and being stuck on 1098, when the fact they aren't already on steam shows they haven't updated this year anyway, so you'd think it's not a major issue. And games in the past have died out at similar ages (or even younger than) rF2, either through a drop in dev support (servers etc) or even a new edition of windows actually causing issues with running the game. It's not ideal but I think it feels worse than it is from a purely monetary standpoint. If it's still not acceptable to you, just don't play it. (refunds are unrealistic - asking for a refund because something you bought 2,3,4 years ago is unsupported, when you can buy something brand new and have it completely break 2 years later and not be covered by a warranty at all; rF2 1098 you can play for 20 years, albeit with a smaller online community)

bwana likes this.