Required GPU for eyefinity.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DamianB, Jun 26, 2012.

1. DamianB

DamianB Registered

I've got a 2500K CPU so no issues there. but was wondering what GPU would be mininimum to go with if i wanted 3 24" screens in eyefinity. 7850 run it with all the eye candy on?

2. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Not sure if this helps but I just spent all weekend in an impulsive and obsessive search for monitors and cables to setup eyefinity at home. The frustration and hassle of getting everything I need and getting it all to work was only outdone by the disappointing performance. I have a AMD 5900 series so not sure how much stronger the 7xxx series is but I could not even get acceptable frame rates on many applications even with all detail, etc. at absolute lowest settings. Applications tested include rf1, rf2, netkar pro, dirt2, need for speed shift 2, iracing. iRacing was the only application that was workable and that was on lowest setting.

So all the monitors, cables and adapters are packed up and getting returned today. The reason I bought my 5900 series was to get past all the detail/framerate tweaking (there is enough tweaking after all with sim racing) and I'm not going back there. I am going to wait for the technology to mature a bit more...

For what it's worth. Best of luck in your pursuits...

3. Rich_hard1

Rich_hard1 Registered

works great with a 5 series with me. between 40 and 60 fps across 3 screens, all the bells and whistles on.

4. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Depends on what Resolution you use. If you can run 2500x with decent fps you'll be fine.

5. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Weird. My GPU is slower than yours and I can manage over 100 fps constant in rF1 using eyefinity and everything maxed in the game... =/

Also no problems whatsoever with nKP and LFS. rF2 though... That's another story.

6. OzzyNeil

OzzyNeil Registered

Hi Damian, I've got crossfired 6970's running eyefinity on 3 x 24" monitors at 5936 x 1080... I'm not getting great results at the moment with catalyst 12.4, I tried 12.6 and 12.7 betas but theyre not any better. ISI are having a chat with AMD i read somewhere to get things running better so patience is the key.

I've lowered a few settings to medium but have my car and opponents on full and it looks great. HDR is a must. I'm getting about 30-40 FPS on the starting grid with 12 AI then 50-70 once things get going.

Anyway goodluck

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

From what I have read elsewhere, XFire setups have issues with frame rates when using Eyefinity. For a single card, I have acceptable frame rates with most things on full with an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T CPU and an ATI HD 6950 with 2gig's of DDR5 ram onboard. Screen resolution is 5280 X 1050 on triple 22" screens. I have been told that for iRacing and rF2 the minimum would be the 69XX series cards, preferably with 2gig, but 1gig would do with lower res textures. This may not be the case if someone tweaks the settings in Windows as well as the graphics settings in CCC for ATI. If you are using an nVidia card though, you have to use 2 cards in order to run 3 screens.