Rennsport (Game) use physic construction from rFactor2

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by haunetal1990, Sep 30, 2023.

1. vava74

vava74 Registered

[​IMG]

Nick9320 likes this.
  2. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I wasn't suggesting it was an amazing coincidence, I was just wondering where the line gets drawn when borrowing ideas from a competitor's published design. "Reusing" the data structure saves quite a lot of thinking but I'm not aware of it being defined as IP. It's some years since I was involved in patenting software though.

3. redapg

redapg Registered

That they have the same File Entry Format that rFactor 2 has, doesn't mean that they have the Code.
    File Format and Game Code are 2 different Things.

4. Jeroen Goudeseune

Jeroen Goudeseune Registered

Fileformats are protected too.

5. redapg

redapg Registered

Are you sure?
    And even if, the Code is the important Part.
    Maybe they just use the rF2 File Formatting, but have their own Code to handle it.
    I just wanted to make clear, that using the rF2 File Format, doesn't necessarily mean that they also have the rF2 Code.

6. Nick9320

Nick9320 Registered

There is a game engine files that does all the calculaions to make cars work in game - something we couldn't see - and if you took only those physics files that means you need to go all over them and build a game core based on those files which basically forces you to repeat rFactor 2 under the hood of your new game. No one does that, seriously, especially in such big projects with complicated simulation system.

7. redapg

redapg Registered

Good, that we all can have our own Opinions. :)

ling likes this.
  8. Frederick Alonso

Frederick Alonso Registered

Another path might be that both parties did get in touch with each other to help the other out.
    Maybe Rennsport was another company in early dev stage that got a license, who knows. Something we might never know.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    Rui Santos and DA like this.
  9. Jeroen Goudeseune

Jeroen Goudeseune Registered

Im absolutely sure. PDF, DOC are free, but still owned by Adobe and Microsoft.
    Database files are licensed too.
    Another example is this: https://docs.fileformat.com/database/gdb/

Anthony Lineberry likes this.
  10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I know none of the specifics, so I won't speculate...other than the statement I made asking if S397 licensed(sold) the code.
    However, when legal issues crop up, each nation often has wildly varying laws on the same subject. Concretely stating that some legal law has been violated may not always be true. Where & When & how & by who....

11. Adolfo Bisi

Adolfo Bisi Registered

Well, as Tim Wheatley wrote on his article about this subject:
    "At the time I discovered this, back in June, 2023, I asked Stephen Hood of Motorsport Games whether any ISI or Studio 397 code were licensed to any other party. He said no."

DA, Nick9320 and davehenrie like this.
  12. redapg

redapg Registered

Sorry, but i can not discuss about something, from that i don't know if it is protected, from which Company and in which Way...
    Do you know all that?
    I guess no.

13. Adolfo Bisi

Adolfo Bisi Registered

14. Andrea Frollo

Andrea Frollo Registered

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

This is <rude word> hilarious!

16. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I'm not sure what you mean. Portable Document Format is the equivalent of the rF2 model format, both are published (PDF as ISO 32000, rF2's model less formally). A PDF file is the equivalent of a car model. Nothing has stopped many different implementations of a PDF reader which is the equivalent of a physics engine.

That is extremely unlikely, the code you write belongs to the people paying your wages. Unless this person had written something independently which he licensed to S397.

17. elgagon

elgagon Registered

Yes, but the developer can rewrite the code again, because he owns the knowledge.
    There are grey zones.

Seven Smiles likes this.
  18. Anthony Lineberry

Anthony Lineberry Registered

No they aren't. It's been proven in court many times that it's perfectly legal to reverse engineer code and implement support for proprietary file formats (it's called box box reverse engineering). It's also perfectly legal to reverse engineer a particular bit of functionality in a piece of software, and re-implement it yourself in your own software. It's only crosses the line into "stealing" legally when you're directly copy/pasting lines of code from a source file into your own software.

Is it possible that Rennsport reverse engineered the physics engine/file formats from RF2? Sure. I have no idea if that's actually the case. But if they did, there's no law against it as long its it's their OWN implementation of it.

Seven Smiles likes this.
  19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Again, different countries have different laws. Is S397 still based in Denmark? Where are the Rennsport Devs headquartered?

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

That's not what happened, so this isn't the debate, but you may want to be careful as you waive a lot rights when you accept an EULA. And it's nothing to do with whether you copy lines over directly or not. You can be prosecuted for what you INTENDED TO DO if proven, not even what you did.