[RELEASED] 1953 BRM V16 MkII 1.5l twin supercharged sounds by Spitfire1 with O.R.M. 3ds and partly p

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Spitfire1, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Ok i see.

How do i generate a tgm from a .tbc?

2. Emery

Emery Registered

I'm going to nitpick and point out that '50s race tires predominantly had cotton carcasses into the '58 season when Dunlop R5 was introduced. Michelin X radials switched to nylon in '56. Avon tires used rayon carcass in '55, possibly earlier, but limited to Aston Martin (plus one other exception at Le Mans). I don't find any evidence that Englebert switched from cotton before they were bought out in '58. Firestone remained cotton until at least '58. Still researching Continental. Pirelli switched from cotton some time after Dunlop, but before ~1960-61.

So in the process of making the Cobra tires work, make sure you at least add extra weight per tire even if you don't change the cord material/strength.

Spitfire1 likes this.
  3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thanks, that is great stuff to know. I think it is a bit too much of a subtle detail to really account for the level of physics that I am doing at this time. Of course different chord material for the physical properties of tires is not a small detail, but ttool is not a thing for me yet. maybe someday, if I will have what it takes to work with it, including 24hours to proceed a tire lol

Spitfire1 likes this.
  4. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Guys i used this online tool to resize tire width and diameter by relocating geometry nodes. It works perfectly. I just have to make sure to use a street car tire so the grip matches the car i am modding.

Mauro likes this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You either use a .pm or a chassis.ini file. The AI will use whatever you use, same as the player. Generally it's best to use a chassis for extra accuracy and physics goodness, plus features like flexible chassis.

The TBC is for AI only except the tyre radius which needs to be a close match to your final tyre size (TGM nodes and size mults) otherwise there will be weird effects, and up to this point I thought tyre width as well. But having just done some testing I couldn't get any reliable results with either x-resizing in the .tgm or different widths in the .tbc. So not sure what's going on there.

6. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

What i found out so far is that tire width,rim diameter, rim width and cross section of tire are all now done in tgm file.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Been a while since I played around in devmode, I was thinking SizeMultiplier changed the graphical size of the tyre in both X and Y directions. Turns out it only does Y, so changing the width of the tyre that way won't be reflected graphically (but is shown in the TGM display [Alt+=]).

I did think the skidmark size at least depended on the .tbc width parameter, but testing shows that's not so. Not sure what that's based on, the TGM size mults didn't affect it either.

All player tyre physics are in the TGM as I said, except the .tbc radius needs to match. Ctrl-T in devmode to switch between TGM and .tbc tyres should show no vehicle movement. This isn't just about matching AI top speeds due to wheel radius - having the radius drastically wrong will affect the player physics.

8. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Well the tire graph based on the online tool shows my skidmark should only be 180 mm in the rear of a 275 mm tire so that is indeed true based on that picture i uploaded.... the front tire only had 140 mm skidmark i believe. The contact patch isn't bigger than that which is weird.... Is all this accurate? i don't know.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, the static shape of the tyre doesn't reflect the actual contact patch, as it has no load. It's almost like the skidmark width is hardcoded right now, I didn't go to the trouble of trying different cars with much wider tyres and try some substitution to work out what it's based on.

Doubling the TGM width via the multiplier does show in the TGM display in game, but the skidmark doesn't change. Handling certainly does. (I tested, because I was in a panic thinking something had broken and my modding work was invalidated! :confused:)

Spitfire1 and Emery like this.
  10. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Ok so if the online tools shows my tire is 275 mm wide then the tire in game is 275 mm wide despite the skidmark width?

Studio397 really needs to make skidmark attached to tgm model or activate the skidmark width in the tbc. Just have a way for us to choose how wide skidmark we want.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Absolutely. Last time I checked that's exactly what the .TBC setting did. Not sure when that stopped working.

12. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

In Rfactor 1 there was no way to edit the skidmark width. You had to make a fully working tire physics to be able to see how wide the tire was. If the tire physic were bad the skidmark was never correct. If the tire physics were working the game showed a fully wide(same width as tire) skidmark. This is how it should be. This is classic ISI tradition. Seems Studio397 no longer does things the old way maybe out of spite of its forebearers.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Huh?

In rF1 the tyre was a slipcurve with lat/long friction coefficients and other parameters - including the width, which determined the skidmark width. I'm not sure what you're thinking of.

14. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Go into rF1 and edit the tire width and see that it has no effect on skidmark width but only the physics.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think I'll have to, I'm obviously remembering it wrong.

Anyway, just loaded the LolaT290 mod and the ISI Howston and they both had skinny skidmarks relative to their fat rear tyres. So something's gone wrong somewhere, unless it's just my side.

16. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Let me guess the skidmark is about 180 mm wide?

Seems to be some kind of default set.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well, I don't know anymore. Just loaded up the FBMW in rF1 and changed all the widths to 0.0xx (instead of 0.3xx) and neither the physics nor skidmarks were affected.

I don't know how the skidmarks can be sized "from the physics" in rF1, because the .tbc IS the physics - and that width is the only width mentioned. Been too long to remember how the custom skidmark graphics (grooved etc) were installed in rF1 and whether they determined their own size or were somehow resized by the physics - though judging by my test just now the latter seems unlikely.

@Spitfire1 I don't know what you're hoping to achieve with the jabs at S397.

18. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

The skidmark is made from the slip curve tables.

19. Emery

Emery Registered

NO, NEVER for rF1.

Here's the relevant section from Bristow's "bible" on the TBC:
    upload_2020-10-10_20-21-3.png

20. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

That is wrong info.