[RELEASED] 1953 BRM V16 MkII 1.5l twin supercharged sounds by Spitfire1 with O.R.M. 3ds and partly p

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Spitfire1, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Spitfire1 I feel like you've done some modding in another game, or even did something early in rF2 and are confusing its physical model with the purely empirical .tbc model from rF1.

I fell into old habits about a year ago and made the .tgm grip proportional to the tyre size, something you'd do in rF1 because there the lat/long grip coefficients represent the tyre as a whole (in rF2 you give the rubber coefficients, and it applies that to the contact patch size), so I understand the confusion. By the same token, .tbc width has never affected grip.

I still don't understand why I wasn't able to change the width in rF1 earlier, but that's definitely how it was done. There's no underlying physical model for the game to use - the .tbc is all there is, and slip curves don't define tyre shape in any way.

Emery likes this.
  2. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

I tested the width number again. I tried putting 0.100 as well as 1.000 and the skidmark remained the same width of i am guessing 0.250. I don't know where the game is creating this 250 mm skidmarks from. Must be the slip curve and other parameters. Maybe it's taking it from the 3d model tire width or maybe the skidmark never changes size. Maybe it is set at default and never changes.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm with you as far as not knowing. rF1 modding was so long ago for me that I can't even trust myself to have adjusted the width using that parameter.

Slip curve definitely won't be involved. It literally says nothing about the dimensions of a tyre.

4. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

I fear it was always a default. We just made it up in our heads that it was possible to change since the developers never mentioned it. 250 mm(had another look and might be 220 mm) there about may just be the fixed and default skidmark width and impossible to edit.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  5. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Sorry, I'm just getting into this thread a bit late. So hopefully I do not go over too much that has already been covered.

I have been wanting to convert the F1 1958 mod for a long time. It's been a back burner project of mine. But I was thinking the same thing, of using the Indy 1960 as the base for the tires, and the rF2 tools site as the physics base.

Any ways, @Spitfire1, if you can get a car into rF1, you can get a car into rF2. The structure is pretty much the same. There are some minor changes, but shouldn't be to difficult. I used Strawman Andy's tutorial series to create my first conversions

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRNi1LjESZGhOgPNBvIsXug

A lot has changed in 3-4 years, but this will get the model in game. From there, using the modding documentation should work with getting the materials adjusted.

I'm looking forward into seeing how it turns out.

6. Emery

Emery Registered

After some experimenting, I'm beginning to believe the player's rF2 skidmarks are tied into the TGM footprint now. Take the Brabham BT44, with its huge rear tires, and you'll see that front and rear tires leave slightly different width skidmarks. The marks do not go out to the edge of the tire, but appear to widen if you drop the pressure to minimum.

atomed and PatientRF2fan like this.
  7. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Emery i have confirmed this down to 100% for rfactor 1. The "Width=" under "[COMPOUND]" inside the ".tbc" file has no effect on skidmark width and no effect on grip either. To make it simple this parameter in rfactor 1 is UNIMPLEMENTED. I tried putting 1 millimeter wide tires(0.001) both front and rear and car still had racing car grip and the skidmark was still around 200 mm wide(0.200). For rfactor 2 i have no idea if it does or does not do something but as far as rfactor 1 this parameter is obsolete. So there you have it 100% confirmed for rf1 and unsure for rf2. Tested by me today because it seems people do not know what to believe on this matter so i hope i cleared it up. Again RF2 is still uncertain as far as this parameter goes wether it does do something or not.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Shameless bump.... do love a classic car :)

atomed likes this.