[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Thank you for your hard work Plecair, and thanks to Tosch for the HDR profile too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

is it supposed the yellow smoke appear when tires touch the curbs? Excellent work so far I really enjoy this track!

ps: tosh's hdr profiles does not show in game to select. I put them in UserData\player\Settings\Ring_Tourist

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2013
  3. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Nord's trees will soon have a totally different appearance ;)

Turns out Tosch was right, the normal map of the trees weren't applied properly.

When I changed the tree materials, from T1 to Bump Specular Map T1, I didnt knew how to setup the channel. So I looked at another track, from ISI, for a similar bump spec map material, and see how it was set up.

That particular material was setup with spec on channel 2, and norm on channel 3. So I setup my trees this way.

I have now changed all the spec/norm channel to 1, and now it is working!

Plus I have successfully modified a tree with the normal sphere, and it works as it should!

I found out about the normal map channel not working, when I created the normal map for one tree with the sphere, I noticed no difference.

What was odd tho, when you watched the tree trunk at certain angle with the sun low, you could see bumps on their trunk... so I always thought they were working.

So I'll be going off to sleep late tonight, since I wanna get these done, I wanna see how different it will be once they all have proper normal maps!

Might have a screen or two before I go to sleep, or tomorrow at the latest :)

Enjoy 0.97d :)

4. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Yes, the yellow smoke is actually dust. In previous versions, it was pouring too much dust, I changed the dust output in this version.

Regarding the profile, try copying the .hdr files into rFactor 2 main dir. This should make the profiles selectable for all circuits. In the worst case, this should work.

5. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Nice screens! I still have a hard time doing a lap on these beasts! More specially the one you sent screens of :) I havent played much with them yet, but they are ton of fun!

I love how careful you must be with the throttle. I once driven my friend's pickup truck, a mazda b2200 with a 400hp chevy ls1 engine and you had to be really gentle with it, cause when this thing had a manual transmission, he could burn the tires in 4th from a standing start :)

ISI done a great job with those two cars! Well don't they always do? :)

6. Magzire

Magzire Registered

I can select them but i am not seeing any difference. None looks the same as the rest, any ideas whats up?

7. MapleHamwich

MapleHamwich Registered

Drove 0.97D today. Last version I drove was 0.96. Wow, what a change! Good job Pleclair! Keep at it! This will be a legendary rFactor 2 release if you keep going!

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Another huge step towards 1.0!!! It's really looking good and driving well now. You already know the refinements you need to work on, so take your time. The only niggle with this version is the yellow dust. I read your explanation above, but sorry, dust in the "Green Hell" mountains is not yellow and dust doesn't collect in curbs. Can it be eliminated by just replacing a certain file (in the track directory) with a blank? That way, you can keep it and others who like it can use it, too. But the vast majority who will not want it could get rid of it with a simple file swap.

Honestly, for me it's not just a preference thing. It detracts from the overall realism and high quality that you were shooting for (and have already achieved 95%!!).

9. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

I think the dust is fine, but it would be better if it was more transparent. Game Stock Car 2013 dust looks fantastic. Im not talking about off-road dust, but dust they added on long stretches of the tracks. It's very subtle but looks very real and it's a great addition.

Heres a screenshot of the dust effect. In motion it looks very nice.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2013
  10. baked bean

baked bean Registered

For me using B339 the dust is not a issue as the build is using the new partical effects, it looks quite good i think. :)

11. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Track is really coming together. Great work man. Took it for a spin and was not disappointed. Some polishing here and there. A little optimization ;) lol and perfect stuff. You're doing a fantastic job here.

12. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

What makes you believe every track creator doesn't know this to begin with ;)

13. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Very nice indeed. Just tried it :)

A few bugs here and there to clean up but otherwise great.

14. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

15. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Thanks pleclair, really great work :)

On a side note: is it possible to change the thread title when update is available? I missed from 0.97a to 97d due to this ;)

16. turbo-todt

turbo-todt Registered

Pleclair, new version looking very nice. Also dust is a good step forward.
    For sure the dust might help creating an immerse atmosphere for leaving / coming back onto track, but maybe those dusty areas can be restricted to non racing-line parts of the track only. The racing cars will clean the racing line very fast. Next to it dust / marbles will stay for almost all the time.
    And I would agree to make the dust more transparant as well.

Keep it up!!!!

17. Timallen

Timallen Registered

18. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I love it to test new versions and see the improvements :)

But I have the strong feeling that the tarmac is too dark now in 0.97d. Looking at videos, pictures and recalling memory from my visit last year I guess the right color is between 0.97c and 0.97d. Some darkness you see in pictures is added from rubber too (which we get in rf2 too due to RealRoad, which IMO is to dark too), so the real tarmac color is on the side of the track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think?

19. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Nice spotting. However seeking that sweetspot might be tricky almost impossible becasue of different settings used while making shots, weather. You can make photos of the same place one day after another and see that colour of the tarmac might be different a bit because of the amount of light, density of clouds etc.

Also the Ring has different tarmac colours all over the track with different amount of grip. You want to take that into account too? :)

20. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hello guys!

I love waking up like this and seeing some warm comments like those you guys just wrote!

Happy that you all seems mostly pleased with the latest changes!

Regarding the dust, like I said, it's far from set in stone. The dust texture itself, I believe it comes from rFactor 2 itself, cause the dustbrown.tga mentioned in the tdf cannot be found in the Maps directory, so even tho I would like to change it's colour, I cannot find the texture file.

As for the output itself, I will tweak it further. I wanted to get your inputs on how you thought it was now, compared to what it was.

For the tarmac color, like Ronnie said, it's hard to really find the sweetspot, since many things affect its colour, like the angle the picture is shot, the angle of the sun, clouds, etc...

If you look at how it looks during bright sunlight, I think it is not that far... its is still pretty light, however, it becomes much darker when early or late in the day, or when there is shadows.

I'll wait to hear more comments about it and take a decision.

Ok, you are all waiting for trees screenshots now... :) Unfortunately, I don't have any! :(

Turns out, I have to redo all my trees yet one more time! Because the spec/bump wasn't working properly, until I changed the spec/bump uv channel to 1 (spec was 2, bump was 3), but maybe those channels didnt existed. As you might recall from my post yesterday, I had no idea how to setup a bump specular map shader when I upgraded the tree shader from t1 to this.

So I made the texture a certain way, that appeared fine with the unproper spec/bump maps, and that was looking good then. When applying the spec/bump correctly, the trees aint looking good no more.

So back to drawing board, need to figure out how to make those trees look good, with their bump/spec properly applied (will need to redo them, the bump maps is way too agressive when applied correctly)

But, the lighting works well with the tips supplied by Tosch! That much I can say!