[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Quartza

Quartza Registered

Thank you so much pleclair! I just ran v.91 its looking great already. I've been waiting for this track to come to RF2 for so long. With all the sad news about the DMT version it was so great to finally run this track. I had a smile the whole time around. I hate to ask with so much on your plate already but are there any plans to add the GP section? I will gladly send you some electronic funds for RAM, its the only way I can say thank you for all this great work!

2. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Yes, I initially planned to do all the layouts included in the 2.2a release of Nords, but after a closer inspection, there are many redundant layouts, like vln and vln2005. Seems like a previous version of the tourist we now have. The 3d model in 3dsimed looks the same, but smaller (I mean less scenery around track).

So, I'd like to do the fall and winter layouts of the Tourist! I would think that only the textures change, so it will likely be easy once I got the tourist to a stage closer to final.

The 24h is also planned, yes. Again, most of the track is already done, so it wont be much work, once the base tourist is set.

Someone asked me about the short gp circuit, but its not included in the 2.2a release. I know I have everything to do it, but it will likely require the creation of a new AIW, and a lot more work to make it happens, so if I ever get to the point where I can do this, I'd like to include it as well.

Happy that it pleases you!

3. Quartza

Quartza Registered

Sounds great, looking forward to it

Why is there such a problem with rendering the headlights onto the track surface? Granted I know nothing about track creation, im new rfactor too. I can understand it happening on 3rd party tracks but yet even the ISI tracks have this problem, where the headlights on the ground will just disappear at times. Its seems like RF2 has a poor method of handling the headlight lighting. Thanks for any info for the curious mind.

4. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I really have no idea to tell the truth. Even the brake lights are flickering as well.

Usually, the headlights arent as problematic as in this track tho. Might have something to do with the steep slopes?

I didnt cared so much, since I have no night lighting done yet, and thought that once that done, it might work... but I'm not sure.

Anyone can shed some light on this matter?

Also, how do you create the lighting?

I looked at a few tracks, among them was Belgium, since its the most alike track we have currently, and there are a bunch of omnis located every few meters... so lighting up Nords will take A LOT of omnis!

I dont know how to get proper coords. I went into dev mode and took down 5 spots I wanted to light. Three near the paddock area, and I started with 2 near that part on the track. Packaged, went into normal mode to see it, and all lights werent in the position I took down the coords.

It would be so much simpler to do this straight in dev mode. You drive to a location (or move with free look) and put down the lights right there.

5. pleclair

pleclair Registered

On a side note, I'm getting better at the track! I've started to be able to complete a first lap and get timed laps in a few cars :)

My best lap so far is a 6:50 with the f2, with 0.91... could have been much better tho, I was gonna shave about 15 secs on a 6:57 or so... (had -10sec on 2nd sector), and I hit the wall two curves before the big stretch. I realized my car was lightly hit and could still finish the lap.. so I lost some precious speed for that straight...

It makes me wonder how on earth did Stefan Bellof did a 6:11 in 1983 :p

Is that the longest running record in the world of racing? Usually they get beat in a matter of few years...

6. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

pleclair you are doing a great work, but you really should look into the layout, because as someone has said, there are some thing wrong in some turns elevation and inclination, specially the last sector!
    For me GT5 is the best Nurburgring version in the sim-world and if you look in this my video from GT5 you will understand what Im speaking about!

The surface should be much more smooth and less bumpy and you have to consider that the road 'was paved recently!

7. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I dont feel confident enough to modify a layout such as this. At least at this point in time. The track is way too complex, and since I have no real life experience on it, it might only lead to further differences.

No track without laser scanning is 100% accurate. ISI's does a great job without it tho. I've seen live lime rock park (edit: videos I mean, never been there live actually), and isi's is really close, but not quite exactly the same either.

Also, there are more urgent issues than this imo.

Regarding bumps, the version we have is already a few years old... it might have been made prior to the pavement.

With the updated tdf values, it is a lot less bumpy now.

Plus, I sort of like having the bumps. I went back to shift2's today, because I had great memories from the track, and I must say that I definitely like com8 version much better. More challenging, bigger slopes, and I love the bumps. And how they are made. Looks like real aged road to me.

Try it in the wet, you'll see what I mean, with various patches wetter, and some dryer ones... it looks like a road that isnt even!

Also, reading the comments, if I were to smoothen things up, I'd likely please to the minority instead of majority.

I havent played gt5, but I'm pretty sure you can't say any of there track is accurate. It is likely all other studios, taming down the tracks, so the casuals can enjoy them. Playing f1 2012 and shift 2 showed this to me. The elevations in malaysia of f1 2012 are almost a joke. On the other hands, shift 2's nords isnt that bad, but still... a lot less challenging than com8's.

I doubt a game like gt5 would have really accurate tracks, especially nords... look on youtube... you will find a bunch of crash videos on that track.

Not saying com8 version is more or less accurate, just saying I wouldnt base my data on a game like gt5 for this matter.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
  8. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Oh, and the first night light is in Nords :)

View attachment 9250

Figured out how to do it!

Funny thing, I didnt find the info in the forums here. A search for night light returned almost nothing. Google helped me find some infos.

Its done in 3dsmax, by actually positioning omnis.

So I'll be able to light up the track at least, and paddock. Won't be able to light up much scenery around tho, but that will be a start!

9. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hmmm... I see that I still have much to learn! Seems like Tosch picked a date with a full moon. I thought it was for look purpose... I didnt knew it casted some lights as well!

Seems like I dont need to light up the track anymore! I had 4 lights down, and wanted to if they were spaced right before moving on with the rest, so I packaged and tried... and went further on the track to realize it was all lit.

At first, I thought my lights were strong enough to light up everything, but then I saw the moon up high... took down the lights from the scn file, repackaged, and sure enough, it was showing as a full moon!

A few minutes ago, I was thinking that there was a moon in rf2, why not use it to cast light, instead of setting up lights ourselves! Seems this is for moonless situations, or to have real lights showing. Not much of those around Nords I would think. I havent seen many spotlights on the track either. Maybe in the gp side?

10. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Any thoughts on the headlights disappearing from the road surface? The scenery is lit, but road goes on/off.

I know headlights are a problem even in ISI's track, but it is much worse here... any clues?

11. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

EDIT: Probably should put a disclaimer in here... I don't really know what I'm talking about :p

Just an FYI, GT5 is kind of the benchmark for Nords in sim racing ;) The guy in charge of the project is a professional race car driver who has raced several times at Nurburgring including 24 Hours of Nurburgring (and I believe thoroughly obsessed with the track). So while the actual physics of the game are kind of iffy (probably due to the hardware limitations), their Nurburgring is actually pretty good.

12. v-man

v-man Registered

Thanks again Pleclair. Excellent progress, nice to have reflections on cars. ;)

Don't have time to try the new TDF yet, but I saw this two trees near the parking area:
    View attachment 9252 View attachment 9253

13. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Yes I noticed that a few after sending the 0.91....

Since I dont have the full scene loaded, it is a bit hairy to work it all. The trees are in max, but for some reason, I can't find how to change the blending mode of the materials to alpha chroma (or anything else for that matter), which is required by the trees to appear properly.

So after re-exporting the trees from 3dsmax to try and fix the problem, I had to update the materials in 3dsimed, and seems like those two evaded me :p

Will be fixed! Thanks!

Nice shots btw :)

EDIT: Actually, v0.90 and v0.91 tdf's are the same. The only difference is the tatoos are set to collision and driveable false in the scn of v0.91, to disable them.

Cause even if I set the very same values as the tarmac, there is still a bump happening because its sitting on top of the tarmac.

During straight line, i got it down to a good level, barely feelable in most areas. Althought in corners, its a different matter. So I'll try to play some more with the settings.

However the tdf from v0.80 and v0.90-1 is very different. I've set appropriate (to me anyway) grip levels to the tarmac, and other surfaces, with slightly different wear as well.

The smoke is much reduced than isi defaults, and changed some other settings as well.. Added a drift value, making the smoke move a little instead of grow on place. I think it looks more realistic this way. I based my values on what I've seen in the only real good brake lockup video I could find on youtube, it is not the same exactly, as you cant produce particle style thing with plane objects, but its closer to what is shown in the video.

I was wrong in the tyre smoke thread. I based my knowledge on the tires I've actually smoked and seen smoked... they are street tires... even if they were "performance" tires.. they prolly produce a lot more smoke than racing slicks as in the video.

On the other hand, the rainspray from isi is a bit off as well, being too small I think. Doesnt reach far enough.

If you see rain videos, the spray goes further up and much further back. (and this much I know, I've driven in rain/heavy rain situation, at high speed, going up to 180-190km/h, and you pretty much drive by references.... you cant see much ahead, specially when following a car from a certain distance).

I've narrowed it a little as well.

Let me know your thoughts once you have tried it.

14. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Well, you can say the same for many racing games from commercial studios :) It's not because Colin McRae or Ken Block is associated with Dirt that it makes it a true sim! While I think that its closer to sim... I expect things to be toned down a bit.

Like I said, I cant tell for sure that GT5 is the same... but it would almost be unwise to think otherwise. They cant afford to make the track as the real one, or many of the playerbase wouldnt be liking their ride over there.

I keep on reading it is the most difficult track in the world... from the pdf sent, to the wikipedia entry, to crash videos like this on youtube:

The elevation changes and bumps are much harder to feel in a sim than in real life... so going off limit and over driving over there is really easy.

Even if the slopes and bumps were toned down in real life, I still enjoy that particular version very much.

rF2 could only have that track and I'd be happy honestly :) Too bad ISI skipped on this one. Seeing the thread views... they are missing on much.

15. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Also, for reference for others interested in this topic, the headlights werent showing on the tarmac because of the omni property, which wasnt set for the road :)

I kept on reading this guide I found earlier about track creation by scott juliano (curiously not on isi site, but on virtua lm site... unless I dont know where it is on isi's), and found this interesting bit:

"Other: The big one here is Omni. You want to tag this onto objects that will react in any way to omni lights. (Scott's Note: In rF, taging something as also allows it to accept car headlights)"

I havent tried it yet, as I'm trying something else as per this guide as well for the trees. Supposedly the trees are better lighted when normals are set to pointy. So I'm doing this and see if it helps the problem we have.

Will have to set the mats to alpha chroma once again in 3dsimed...

Anyone can help me there? Where do you set Alpha Transparency, Alpha Chroma and so on in 3dsmax? Its easy in 3dsimed, but cant find out how in 3dsmax. There is only the source and dest blend, but what looks like a dropdown with blending modes, is grayed out, next to those two one and zero dropdowns in 3dsmax.

16. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

Hi,

I tried the update and the tree color is much better but something weird with the trees sinking...I appreciate
    your hard work guy, don't take this as an insult to your project: )

I've made some new textures last week from the .80 version and it looks as good as this new version maybe.

View attachment 9254
    View attachment 9255

I can upload them if you want to check them out.

Cheers,

Sean

17. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Your best bet is to fix something in your source material, not in some middleware thingie because it's easier..

If I'm correct, simply go into a layer/texture of a shader and turn the chroma option on to select your chroma color and that is that I guess?
    [​IMG]

18. hoover

hoover Registered

Re: armco bug: It's right before the entry into Wehrseifen on the left side of the track, I hope you can see it better in this screenshot:

GRAB_012.JPG

It feels more or less like a hole in the track, let me know if you need more info.

All the best & great work on version 0.91, this already is an awesome track to have fun on in the tintops!

Uwe

19. DerKutscher

DerKutscher Registered

pleclair, do not give up! You grow with its tasks. Maybe you can help with a problem headlights. In the dark they go on and off. You can move the Gargen for pitstops?

greeting

Mike

20. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Re: [WIP] Nordschleife Tourist

I would give my suggestion to preclair.
    I know by my own experience how hard and frustrating can it be when you get to a certain point. The learning curve is very fast at the beginning and gets slower and slower afterwards. For making good things you need to be in the proper mood.

So if you get disappointed and not enough motivated at certain point give yourself a break with the track. I would also start an alternative easier project. Another conversion or a yourself invented track which your hardware can support. Dont worry about 3dsimed license. Open a donation thread and I am sure you will get enough support to finance it from the community.
    I will be willing to make my small donation especially since you have limited economic resources to do your job. Cheers mate!

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2