Reduce tyre flatspot FFB?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CeeBee, Apr 1, 2023.

1. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

Hey All

The tyre flatspot emulation is nice but the ffb assigned to it kills the game for me if I accidentally lock up, my DD1 rattles so hard I just rather give up the race and restart.

I checked the controller.json but cannot see any flatspot field to edit downwards? I feel like it needs to be a third of its current feedback in my case. (like R3E and ACC et al)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The FFB comes from physics, and the tyre flatspots are in the physics. There's no separate flatspot effect.

If you want to reduce FFB from flatspots, you either need to change your driving to reduce flatspots, or reduce/disable tyre wear so they aren't so bad (or just don't exist).

3. Kahel

Kahel Registered

You can try to raise the filtering option... of the FFB.

But most importantly...

when you drive a car your not familiar with... do a (very) hard break... in a perfect straight line... see if it lock your tire...
    If it does... reduce the 'brake pressure' (car setup)... until it doesn't anymore... (usually between 10 to 15% for me)... do it for every car as a way to calibrate them...

Also worth doing with car that have ABS... imo.

it won't prevent you from flatspotting entirely... still might happen during emergency hard break... or even normal braking while turning, asking too much of the car...
    But this way you'll get a consistent... brake threshold for every car... they will all seem to be calibrated the same way... you'll be able to find out what each car can or can't handle... with the same kind of input...

And avoid trying to push the car... to fast... enjoy the sim... build up your pace... I see too many people push their car like mad men... on the very first lap... that's pretty dumb... you need some laps to get a good feel for a car... even one that I know by heart... I still go easy the first few lap... specially if I jump from LMP2 to BTCC... to GT3... to F1... :)

Plus driving 'easy' feel so good in rF2...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    Dnalord77, memoNo1 and TJones like this.
  4. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

ok, turn off tyre wear is the go then, thanks

Ozcanuck55 likes this.
  5. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

yeah I use no flag rule, no tyre wear, no fuel usage, and I'm happy, if the AI is well changed I will probably change but not for today

6. Comante

Comante Registered

Every time this topic come up baby geebus cries. Please send me your DD1, and take my G27 .

David O'Reilly and Bernat like this.
  7. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I offer my G29 too. And everyone would be happy. :)

8. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Your brake pedal is probably too easy to press.

9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Different tires will also wear differently. Perhaps put on hard tire compound for once in your life. But first of all, why don't you just learn to perform as a driver, instead of looking for workaround and further developing your bad car control habits ?

memoNo1 likes this.
  10. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Was this meant to sound as harsh?

sg333 likes this.
  11. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

in other games its quite subtle, even immersive as you know you overcooked the brakes, but its not game ending, arm wrenching...
    not biggy ill just turn it off and carry on about my day ;)

12. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

yes im trying to control my TC and ABS on the Eve '68, do you have some tips for me?

13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Just keep driving cars like that. Maybe reduce brakes pressure if your brake pedal is too soft for how your foot operates it. These cars are not downforce cars, despite having little bit of it. Be more progressive with a brake, alow few moments for front end to settle when braking. Pump your foot while braking to make it work a bit like ABS. Practice trail braking. Perhaps your tires sound is off, increase a little to be able to react asap to fronts locking if visual info is not enough. You might as well try to adjust brakes bias. Use engine braking.

memoNo1 likes this.
  14. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

apologies sarcasm was too subtle, fact is you WILL lock your wheels sooner or later, bumped off the road sideways by AI, overcook a corner etc, it happens..

the reward should not be an FFB that is so bizarre you actually prefer to close the game, it should be subtle like other games. If this issue varies from more expensive wheels down to low end less powerful wheels, then the people on better/stronger wheel should have a control to lower the effect or just turn it off without sacrificing the entire tyre wear. (in r3e they opted to control it converting it to sine instead of square/triangle waveform in the feedback)

I added a clip of my wheel with Formula car on a "light" flat spot, literally locked brakes for 1/10th.. if i actually locked this up hard for 5/10th or more , I have had my wheel jolt so hard the button caps on the wheel actuall fall off and i have to reach around to physucally turn the wheel off. this is not the case in other games that do flat spotting as well.

15. Bernat

Bernat Registered

We want reallistic until it's too reallistic. You're asking to make the game easier by removing something that you should have to deal with in the sim but you don't want to. If you have a bad flatspot you should pit and change tires, not reduce the FFB and drive like nothing happened. Wouldn't assists help in this situation?

The video doesn't show anything that bad. My road car can have worse vibrations at highway speeds and I deal with them.

16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

You see, @doddynco ?

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Can I ask which Formula car that is? Since wear is done physically, and this effect comes about 'naturally' from the physics, the car being used can have a large bearing on the resulting vibration. Also it has a fair influence on how serious a "1/10th lockup" actually is. (which also has me wondering, is that a complete lockup for a full 0.1 seconds? Or just some degree of lockup / 'underrotation' as they like to call it?)

18. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

@Lazza the Formula Pro, and I locked it on purpose, full lock (dead stop tyres) on a straight, estimating about one tenth maybe two tenths. This used to be exactly the same issue in R3E a long time back and they got it fixed, as I recal by literally changing to sine wave away from triangle/sqaure as i recall so the feedback on more expensive wheels was not a hard stop jerk, presumably with different mechanics in rf2 this is not possible without dulling down the entire FFB.

However for now im bowing out of the thread as the die hard the fanbois who have all really raced formula one cars of course and know everything, have their pitchforks ready to educate me on exactly how my sterring wheel should feel.... for me the answer is just turn it off for now so I can enjoy the software..

(in other news, I ended up using AC to get my Melbourne GP jollies yesterday as the experience in RF2 was unpleasant and ultimately unplayable (for me) and my mate sent me this from the F1, wonder what sim it is, and the round wheel in the cockpit ;) )
    338456962_660822975807593_8307878933639580741_n.jpg

19. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Tagging anyone not agreeing with you a fanboi isn't the best way to end a discussion.

I think turning tire wear off is a good solution. I've also suggested assists can help.

We try to help and we get called ignorant fanbois. OK.

Full_Ninja likes this.
  20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, different mechanism entirely (I presume, if they could adjust it down). So in rF2 it's a different 'problem', and any solution would be very different. I'll say there probably won't be one, because it really does come from the physics (at 2400Hz, let's estimate 8° of tyre rotation per sample at high speeds) so the only factor really is the physical tyre wear amount.

A high speed lockup of even 0.1s in the Formula Pro will produce pretty strong vibrations, and does in real F1 too. But that's about as objective as we can be without real data, so I'd agree: if you don't like it, just turn it off.

CeeBee likes this.