RealFeel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimcarrel, Mar 17, 2012.

1. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Jim, you should not more than 100% in logitech profiler, it's stated that it make the FFB force to become non linear.

2. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

Thanks, will try your settings.
    I have overall effects on 100%, the rest on 0%. Aren't the spring and damper effects artificial/fake? It seems logical to me spring and damper effects are supposed to be on 0%, so the game gives all the effects.

3. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

Jim, i also have the DFGT and am quite fond of the FFB overall.
    However i feel, that my DFGT is always a bit numb around the center. do you also have this impression? btw i use the same Profiler settings. If i use a ingame sensitivity of 105% it seems to be better around the center, but then has non linear steering.
    magicfr, i read on many posts, that those 107 % are recommended for the Logitech wheels. in wich direction would FFB become non linear according to your information? aggressive at the start, becomming number or the other way round?

4. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Maybe. But I also believe that the 'Allow Game To Adjust Setting' option might override the FFB setting from Control Panel. I also left them (spring/damper) set because with this setting I can feel the feedback better in Richard Burns Rally.

5. magicfr

magicfr Registered

From the iRacing forums, Wheel Check thread in iRacing API's section, the FFB iRacing dev have made a tools to test FFB wheels with several test.
    Ok, I read the thread again, and it's acually no more than 106%, sorry for my error.
    If you have iracing acount here the thread : http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1500238.page

I copy paste here

instead of keeping on posting in each thread, i decided to write this short post in order to give to the community the optimal FFB settings.
    These setting are not based on feeling, but on scientist approach developped by David Tucker.
    The driver settings are supposed not to be changed since the goal is to play only with the in sim sliders.
    For the driver settings, the goal is to achieve the best linearity.
    You can find the sources here : http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1473510.page

For Logitech driver.

Overall Effects Strength : 106%.
    Spring Effect Strength : 0%.
    Damper Effect Strength : 100%.
    Centering Spring : unchecked.
    Report Combined Pedals : unchecked.
    Rotation : 900°.
    Allow Game To Adjust : checked.

For Fanatec driver.

Autocenter Spring : unchecked.
    Wheel Angle : 900°.
    Dampening Strength : 100%.
    Combined Pedals : unchecked.

In the wheel tuning menu.
    SEN : OFF.
    FF : 100.
    Sho : 100.
    dri : OFF or 1.
    Everything else : 0 or OFF.

For TR500 driver.

Rotation : 900°.
    Master : 50%.
    Constant : 100%.
    Periodic : 100%.
    Spring : 100%.
    Damper : 100%.
    Auto-centering spring : by the game.

6. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Thanks magicfr, might try those setting for my Lo Mo (Logitech Momo) :D

7. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

thanks magicfr! never tried the damper effect...will give it a go later today!
    ED: haha, i wanted to give you some rep, but the following message appeared: "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to magicfr again." ;-)

8. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Most old sims don't use the damper effect, so it's ok to let it to 100%. And if a sim use it corretly, it's nice not to have it to 0% :)
    So, except if you play som crappy car game, you should let it to 100% :D
    (I' may not be very clear in my explanations, lol :D )

9. HKF0x

HKF0x Registered

From the test i did, it look like damper and spring effect in the logitech driver, are linked to
    Steering resistance and Steering spring in the Controller.ini
    Default Controller.ini for g25:
    Stering resistance coef 1.0, damper effect at 0% in the logitech profiler = no damper
    Steering spring coef 1.0, spring effect at 0% in the logitech profiler = no spring effect

Stering resistance coef 0.0, damper effect at 100% in the logitech profiler = no damper
    Steering spring coef 0.0, spring effect at 100% in the logitech profiler = no spring effect

Stering resistance coef 1.0, damper effect at 100% in the logitech profiler = heavier damper
    Steering spring coef 1.0, spring effect at 100% in the logitech profiler = strongest spring effect

I personaly liked ( liked, because i dont tried the new build with my wheel yet)
    0.3 for spring and damper and both at 100% in logitech driver .
    It added a bit of friction like realfeel did in rf1
    And a bit more spring when the car was moving, because was not enough to my taste, ffb a bit loosy at the center.

But with the comments i saw about the new build, it look like we dont need use damper and spring anymore, for have these effects a bit stronger.

10. Eddie74

Eddie74 Registered

+1

11. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I revisited my settings in logitech profiler.

I stated earlier that ffb strength was 107%, rather it is 106%

This is how it is now after checking damper, which I always ran as 0%

- Overall Effects strength 106%
    - Spring Effects strength 0%
    - Damper Effect strength 100%
    - Enable Centering spring checked (this is for making sure that games that use settings for centering spring forces can use it)
    - Centering Spring strength 0%
    - Combined Axis not checked
    - Degrees of Rotation 900
    - Allow Game to adjust settings checked
    - In game FFB set at 1.00 (I don't have to mess with that anymore in last two builds)

I flipped Damper effect from 0% to 100% several times. The difference that I noted was that whatever wheel oscillations that might show up going down a straightaway only happened when damper was set at 0%

Again this is DFGT wheel, and I have no noticeable excess looseness with wheel at top dead center. I have made no "tweaks" to .plr file or control.ini

conclusion: I love it

12. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Wanted to hit the "damper" thing again. Below find a copy and paste from Eagle Woman's GPL website.

The thing to remember is that rF2 also has its own damper setting in the ffb config.

taufikp uses 70% damper in logitech profiler.
    I was wondering why, and according to the copy and paste below, I think I now understand

**"Q. What does the "Damper Effect Strength" slider do for force feedback gaming controllers?

A. The "Damper Effect Strength" slider is a feature of LWS(Logitech wingman Profiler) accessible only by force feedback gaming devices. This slider controls the strength of the damper forces within force feedback games. Damper forces slow down the movement of the gaming device in a particular direction. Examples of damper forces would be items such as water or mud. By moving the slider beyond 100%, the damper forces get stronger, and the gaming device will feel more sluggish when you encounter a damper force. By moving the slider below 100%, damper forces will not affect your game play as much."**

As far as Oscillations go, here is another tidbit;

**"About oscillations and latency: I also had the idea that the rapid oscillations of the wheel could be decreased with the right latency setting. If the wheel is not centered on high speed (for example when coming out of a fast corner), the force wants to center it. If the force comes too late and so stays too long it will throw the wheel over the center, which in turn induces an opposite directed force, which also comes too late and so on...

But the problem are not really the straight line oscillations, but with too low latency the wheel will 'snap back' too violently in some situations. Maybe this is what you meant, when you wrote that the wheel 'bites' you, when you handle the car too rough.

With my old FF settings (the 'high damping' ones), I set the latency by trying to eliminate the oscillations. I found that a value of 0.103 eliminated them pretty much and also reduced the 'snap back' tendency. With your 'zero damping' settings (which feel WAY better...) it is more difficult to eliminate the oscillations. The problem is that I never know if the latency is too low or too high (which shows the same symptoms as a too low setting). It seems that a latency around 0.1 reduces the oscillations for me.

Such a high latency gives a quite 'notchy' feel around the center of the wheel, but I think I can get used to this better than having a wheel, that 'bites' me, whenever I push hard.

Note: I discussed the latency and prediction issue with Dave Kaemmer just before receiving these comments from Peter. Like Peter, Dave felt that the oscillations were an effect of the latency, and that increasing GPL's prediction was a good way to eliminate the oscillations. He felt that the prediction setting which eliminated the oscillations corresponded with the actual latency of that particular FF device.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with Dave and Peter. Oscillations occur in real cars too. I think that they tend to be more noticeable in GPL because we have a faster ratio steering than in real cars, and correspondingly lower forces at the wheel rim. Therefore, it's easier to make a sharp enough input to excite the car into a high amplitude oscillation. Also, in a real car, the seat of the pants feel from handling the car roughly tends to discourage overly abrupt steering inputs.

I'd guess that some of the tendency to oscillate is due to latency in the wheel, but not all. I continue to prefer minimal prediction and minimal damping, and deal with the oscillation by driving smoothly, and - I believe - more realistically. - Alison**"

13. Lowryda

Lowryda Registered

im not sure what the fuss was all about. are the people above my post talking about iRacing or rFactor2?
    coz its really off

14. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

It's a discussion about needing or not needing real feel plugin for rF2, then it went off to settings in Logitech Profiler.

The entire thread is about Force Feedback in rF2. There were discussions about the various facets of FFB.

How is it off?

I guess if it is "off"
    I will get off. Sorry about being "off"

15. Lowryda

Lowryda Registered

no i guess its fine, just a bit off to iracing copy profiler for logitech

16. taufikp

taufikp Registered

I tried to use 100% damper and 0% spring strength like what was recommended for iRacing. I don't like it. Feels like driving in a mud. Also remember that how iRacing dev team programmed the FFB function is probably a bit behind rF2 now.

Here's new setting that I'm testing now:
    - overall 75%
    - spring 60%
    - damper 40%
    - centering 0%
    - centering box unchecked (really not needed because rFactor is able to center your steering wheel)
    - FFB multiplier in game set to 1.00

The way I set up spring and damper is similar to how we setup the suspension in a vehicle. I don't know about Alison's article before, but it sort of gives me a valid confirmation now, that the damper effect is really working like a damper in vehicle suspension.

Whew, I still can't believe how easy it is now, without the need of third party plugin, to set the FFB. :)

17. magicfr

magicfr Registered

It's true, in iRacing, there is a slider to reduce the damper, by the game. And most of racer reduce it .
    So I guess is there no such config in rF2 you have to tweak it with the profiler.
    From the first time I run rF2 I have damper to 100% like always, and I love it that way, I'm pretty sure rF2 use this parameters because when the car is stopped you feel lot of dampening but when it's moving it's feel very low. Like in real life :p

18. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Tested yesterday this:
    - Overall Effects strength 107%
    - Spring Effects strength 0%
    - Damper Effect strength 100%
    - Centering Spring strength 0%
    With a G25

instead of - Damper Effect strength 0%

(Same car, track, setup).

The rear seems to be more stable and the front more heavy and less hole in the middle.
    The car is less alive with the damper at 100% for me, you feel less the car body moving.

I will test the following parameter to compare asap :
    - overall 107%
    - spring 60%
    - damper 40%
    - centering 0%

You feel same taufikp?

19. taufikp

taufikp Registered

With damper at 100% and spring at 0% I felt something's missing. Less alive is the suitable word I think. I am now using my original setup 70% for overall and spring, but damper is set to 50%.

20. Lowryda

Lowryda Registered

my config is like this, overall 0%, spring 0%, damper 0%, a G25