Released RC Update 3 + Race Against Unowned Content Feature

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I had a brief look but I assume to get anything really useful requires an app and a deep understanding of the source code - the sort of thing I used to do as a job.

davehenrie likes this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's not S397 specific. You can download (free) WinDbg, which will let you open the dump file, and do some basic analysis. Sometimes that helps identify what area has had the issue, often not.

The strength of a dmp file is the devs can use it with a debug build of the rF2 .exe file (these debug builds are not public) to identify exactly where it crashed (in the source code) and get information on what values the variables had at that moment. Sometimes that's enough to trace back in the source code and work out what's happened.

It's a little bit like when someone reports an AI/flag issue, and if they provide a replay file the devs can load up that replay file in rF2, and use the Resume feature to exactly recreate the problem scenario. Then of course, because they're devs, they can use their extra logging to find out what's going on. (we are limited to trace=2; they can enable higher levels)

Hope that helps.

pkelly and Seven Smiles like this.
  3. RNelson

RNelson Registered

When I was struggling to figure out what was missing I was able to select the MOD file and on the bottom right it listed what was installed with a green check and what was missing had an orange x. Made things much easier.

Lazza likes this.