Rattling and Strong force

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Boxorman8, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Boxorman8

Boxorman8 Registered

So I after having updated to b90 now my wheel is bonkers, unplayable.
    First off there is a weird very loud rattling noise which has been covered by some other threads, but there hasn't been a solution yet?

I can turn the power of this rattling down by adjusting the steeting torque filter in the DFGT controller file (I set it to 8) in the rfactor2 directory, but it comes at a cost (lag) and I want forcefeedback to be strong, just not inhuman please.

Secondly, there is always a strong force against my wheel, when I try and turn I am met with huge resistance, it is turnable but alwasy with huge understeer. this feeling didn't change at all regardless of what I changed so I'm really at a loss here.

Anyone got any help ? I did a fresh install before I installed the build and every component etc. is working fine, just the wheel (just..lol) that's acting up.

If it helps anything here are my settings in LT profiler, I think it's default.
    I got 100% on everything and checked in "let game decide" I left "active center spring" unchecked as I have no clue what that is.

wheel range is set to 200 but game decides so that shouldn't be it.

desperate for help guys,appreciate it!

2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

First off, in the profiler, try setting the center spring to being ticked and set the value to 0%. Second, in game settings for force feedback the car-specific FFB Mult try setting it to something like .2 or .3 to see how that feels.

3. Boxorman8

Boxorman8 Registered

Hi gearjammer, I forgot to mention that I have tried changing the "car specific forcefeedback" inside rfactor, I even set it to the lowest value, it helps a little against the rattle but that strange force pulling against (sometimes with me) me leading some hilarious cornering..
    Ultimately I'd like to keep that to a default setting as I really liked how it felt before, it just feels wavy and unconnected if I set it to low.

I'm gonna try the center spring ticked next time, thnx

4. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

I dont think FFB was changed between build 85 and build 90 so, perhaps, are you using a new player with a new controller.ini and you forgot to edit the controller.ini line

Off-road multiplier="0.15000" // Temporary test variable to reduce force feedback strength off-road (0.0 = zero FFB, 1.0 = full FFB)

?

The above line doesnt help in the curbs and in the track bumps, but setting it to a low value you can almost remove the off track rattling.

Also, more than the car multiplier, in your shoes i would try different values of "Global effects strenght" (or whatever is the wording in english) in the Logitech panel ... i have a DFGT with global effects strenght set to 100 and my wheel doesnt rattle on track ... but, wait, banked turns at Brianza are another story. :)

5. gniewko

gniewko Registered

sth must have changed between 85-90, I am experiencing the same (and not only me). http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/6344-DF-GT-rattling , Off-road multiplier is not the way to go as it rattles as soon as I get into the car I think? I believe I have tried everything and nothing seems to work. Experienced no problems with previous builds.

6. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

Did you install 90 from scratch or did you update from 85?

7. gniewko

gniewko Registered

I have only upgraded, will try to reinstall the whole thing and give feedback here.

8. Boxorman8

Boxorman8 Registered

I did however install fresh as I was suspecting issues (I've been around the block a few times, played in queite a few betas)

I'm dying to get home to my wheel so I can try these things out, will report back.

9. Boxorman8

Boxorman8 Registered

Finally returned to my wheel and tried fiddling around with the settings, I reset steering torque to 0 and changed aruond mostly in the lT profiler,

effectstrength 48%
    fjädring (suspension?) 20%
    dampening 90%
    activated centerspring set it to 0%

and let game override, ofc.

My ingame settings are as follows:
    Clutch brake and throttle sensitivity is at 100% (default)
    steering sensitivity is 100% with 0% deadzone (no clue what a deadzone is here)
    Steering rate 20%
    speed sensitivity 0%
    look ahead 0%
    exagerate yaw 25%
    "wheel" as forcefeedback device
    Steering wheel rate is 612 (vehicle set) I suppose that is the megane trophy that has 612?
    car specific ffb 1.0

Most of these options I have no clue what they do, so I believe they are mostly default.

sure it got ridd of the rattling but it's still unplayable for me, If I go full throttle and try and brake at the same time that the other players are in the same car, I just spin out, especially the 60's cars are unbelievably hard to control, it's not doable I think.

kind of upsetting as I had it very nicely in the previous build, now I can't play :<

can anyone who is using the DFGT print screen of their ingame settings and LT profiler settings ? i'm at a loss.

I joined iRacing and they have this simple calibration tool that set everything up for me perfectly, never had to go back and fiddle around with it.. I think something like that is essential for a simracing game, considering people are using different hardware.

10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Sorry you seem to be having so much trouble with the FFB :(

There are some things you are not familiar with, so let me try and explain a couple. First off, a dead zone in your steering basically is setting the amount you can turn your wheel away from center and still not get any change in the direction the car is heading. Most folks keep that at 0%, but some like a little dead zone due to controller issues. Same with brake and clutch dead zone. but those are % that the pedal moves before anything starts to happen. Brake dead zone is good if you rest your foot on the brake pedal as this keeps you from applying any brakes until you want to.

Speed sensitivity effects how much your wheel has to turn at different speeds to turn the same radius of a turn. This will allow you to turn less at higher speeds to achieve the same turn than at lower speeds. Normally this is used by those that utilize game controllers or some other input device rather than a wheel and pedals.

Look ahead basically changes your view a little when you get close to a turn to focus on the apex of the turn a little. Sort of simulates what you would normally do when driving a real car. I have mine set to anywhere from 5% to 15% depending on how I fell at the time, hehe. Those with triple screens likely don't use that at all as they can just turn their heads a little and see the apex.

Clutch, brake and throttle sensitivity I believe determines how linear their travel is. 100% being linear, anything below and you get more response on the first half of pedal travel, and anything higher gives you more response at the last half of the pedal travel. This also applies to steering sensitivity.

I am not sure about exaggerated yaw.

As to your spinning when ever you brake hard, have you looked at replays to see if you have any wheels locking up when this happens? I suspect that your rear axle is locking up and this is what is causing the spin. Change your brake bias more towards the front to see if this helps. I would change 1 click at a time so you don't make it to where you end up with a forced understeer issue where you can't turn at all till you lift off your brakes. Ideally you want to have all 4 wheels lock at the same time, but this usually can't be done as all turns are different as are the approaches to the turns, but keep the rear from locking if at all possible.

Another thing you can look into for your spinning issue is the coast setting for the diff. The higher the value, the more pressure it puts on the rear axle trying to make the tires match the engine speed faster. Consider the coast value sort of like a small brake when you lift off the throttle. It is helpful, but too much and it causes issues with being able to stop, especially if you are trail braking.

Hope this helps out.

11. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

I am a DFGT user, attached the screens you want to see.

Logitech driver is 5.10 and you can find my controller.ini in game, located in rFactor2/UserData/Controller.

I have some noise in the banked turns at Brianza, but not in the other tracks (ok, if i take a big bump i can hear it, but without continuous rattling).
    Also, i have noise in the "jagged" curbs and off-road, but off-road noise can be minimized via controller.ini.

Attached Files:

12. Boxorman8

Boxorman8 Registered

Thanks a bunch guys, I appreciate it.

I'll be testing this out soon, I shouldnt visit this forum before I'm home because now all I can think of is racing :)

Funny how your LT profiler looks different from mine and the options are in a different order, but it's clear which is which eventhough I don't speak the language, thanks.

Yes Gearjammer, it helps :)

I'll return and let you all know how I got on.

13. Raikku

Raikku Registered

I need also help with CSRE. If I have overall ffb quite ok, then offroad/rumble strips seem to almost break my wheel. Forces are so violence then.
    Using 116-drivers and 737fw, forces from drivers and wheel 100% and ie. Clio, I have tried around 0.7-0.6, under that steering/wheel is too light.
    Would just like to adjust those particular forces(off/rumble strips).