Ram-happy AI

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Guineapiggy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. DriverN1

DriverN1 Registered

Brilliant ideas! I completely agree with you, apex

2. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

This is an absolutely fantastic post, I really hope Scott or another ISI staff membe can read this and give some info on how they actually do deal with AI.

Thanks!

3. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

Anyone else think the AI have too much control and grip when they get bumped, they also seem to have more control when putting a couple of wheels on the grass.

4. Darkmater

Darkmater Registered

AI cars hardly ever have to deal with the same physics model, that the player does. In most cases the ai is programmed to give a fake impression of having to deal with them. I hate it but, CPUs and ai programming needed to deal with all the physics calcs just don't exist yet. If ISI has gotten basics for ai cars closer to the players, hats off to them, they will have made my racing sim day.

5. LightAngel

LightAngel Registered

AI far from perfect

Actually I'm not happy with rF2 AI.. Maybe it's better than rf1...but it's not still good.
    I tried to race with AI...I had to press the button "restart race" almost every time because I was getting hit from AI and the damages for my car.. AI too often rammed my car.. I was furious. And I used 70% strength and 5% aggression!!! I can make a plenty of videos with ramming-AI but I don't have time and desire now but here are two videos.
    Main problem: AI isn't careful with me when it is too close to my car or it tries to overtake.. So it provokes collisions.. AI rammed not only rear of my car but left or right sides when AI was on other racing line closer to me...
    maybe racing against AI on the slow vehicles like Megane is not too bad, but how about fastest modern Formula One cars??? I remember this F1 racing in rf1 and it was terrible. Every collision in rF1 means crash or big repair... So I suppose racing against AI on modern F1 mods will be clinical...
    I hope you will fix it... I love rfactor very much and I think rfactor2 is great but I rarely play online so good AI is great importance for me

6. Baule

Baule Registered

I hope this includes their ability to make proper use of slipstream. I was a bit disappointed seeing the AIs still braking down behind a slower car on a straight before overtaking it...

7. LightAngel

LightAngel Registered

I wrote this post with 2 videos but it didn't be added to this thread.. I don't know why...
    "Actually I'm not happy with rF2 AI.. Maybe it's better than rf1...but it's not still good.
    I tried to race with AI...I had to press the button "restart race" almost every time because I was getting hit from AI and the damages for my car.. AI too often rammed my car.. I was furious. And I used 70% strength and 5% aggression!!! I can make a plenty of videos with ramming-AI but I don't have time and desire now but here are two videos.
    Main problem: AI isn't careful with me when it is too close to my car or it tries to overtake.. So it provokes collisions.. AI rammed not only rear of my car but left or right sides when AI was on other racing line closer to me...
    maybe racing against AI on the slow vehicles like Megane is not too bad, but how about fastest modern Formula One cars??? I remember this F1 racing in rf1 and it was terrible. Every collision in Formula1 means crash or big repair... So I suppose racing against AI on modern F1 mods will be clinical...
    I hope you will fix it... I love rfactor very much and I think rfactor2 is great but I rarely play online so good AI is great importance for me"

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yeah I've noticed that, that's one for the improvement list! As for ramming I've seen barely any, only noticeable when I've had to brake early so AI not at fault there.

9. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

I have found the AI remarkably well behaved at 100% difficulty and 100% aggression at Spa in the F2s, including running wheel to wheel into Masta and all coming out the other side!

They certainly do brake to avoid incidents - I have been the guilty party running into the back of them more than the other ways around.

They have some lower intelligence moments and can be forced into mistakes if you give them an outside line at some corners but I would say the best AI yet in any sim from my experience. Very encouraging as this wasn't a great strength in rF1.

10. DriverN1

DriverN1 Registered

maybe are we playing different games? This night I tried again to make many races against AI and I must agree with lightangel and other people who say that AI isn't still good. Of course if you are faster than AI and have first place in the race then AI don't give you any troubles. But if you want to have close racing (with some AI even faster than you) then you're getting troubles. I tested many races against AI and many times my car got hit and ram...and it wasn't my fault. AI was hitting into my sides when we had fight wheel-to-wheel, AI was ramming into my rear when it tried to overtake me and other accidents.
    I tried lower aggression but it helped just a little

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

take videos of the action as Scott has asked for, I'll be doing some tomorrow evening hopefully showcasing some of the AI driving habits that I unearth!

12. LightAngel

LightAngel Registered

hello boys... Just one video
    http://youtu.be/gT4RoN8Abds
    so you can see how AI car turns exactly into my car :mad: AI don't try to brake, not turns left, not even go straight..just turns to hit me. And after that will you tell me AI is good ?? :D
    http://youtu.be/rEcuNVXXlIA
    this is another short video.. AI was ramming me in Sepang

And I had a lot similar accidents with AI!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

can you post your Strength and Aggresion settings for both these videos please, that will probably help ISI :)

14. DriverN1

DriverN1 Registered

i don't want to be so critical and negative but it need still to do some big work. I believe ISI will make AI much better closer to the final release

15. LightAngel

LightAngel Registered

I already wrote higher - 70% strength and 5% aggression. Of course I'm not very fast :) but I'm not very slow too. I used this settings only to check AI behavior

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

aahh so you did apologies, heres my view:

Video 1) You brake very early as both AI cars either side of you catch up alot of ground, seems the one on the inside lost control and slid into you. I'd put that down as a racing incodent!
    Video 2) Yep sure enough the AI Cuts into your back left alright, awareness of your space is not there from him. Would need to see more of these type of incidents.

Remeber the Talent FIles could also be responsible for AI behaviour even with Aggresion set really low, there are a lot of factors too take into account when dealing with the AI.

17. DriverN1

DriverN1 Registered

first video can't be called racing accident. It is real ramming.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Subjective and dependent on opinion, is what I say to that first video! To me the AI locks and skids into the Humans car because he braked early, more evidence I think is needed....yes more videos! get recording people :)

19. LightAngel

LightAngel Registered

WHAT?! is it joke?? open your eyes! I'm not going even discuss and comment your view because it's falsehood and absolutely nonsense. I know racing rules and there isn't any my fault on these videos. Maybe are you going to justify and protect every AI foolishness? I don't know but I'm not interested your justifications of AI. I'm just interested what ISI thinks about this ramming. Because if ISI considers such AI behavior (on 5% aggression) is normal and acceptable I will be very disappointed :(

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

:sigh:

Post more videos then, prove your point further! Believe me when I tackle this very subject tomorrow I'll be posting as many videos as I can to help ISI in all aspects of AI.....not just Ramming!