Ram-happy AI

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Guineapiggy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Now the AI is a work in progress, I'm sure, and it crashes and spins far more believably than old RF did. My biggest issue at this time is, that save they have a fetish for driving in to you side/rear-on is that they will then attempt to drive through you if you get tipped. They don't stop, don't reverse, don't even slow down, they just keep trying to drive through you. Just thought I'd report that as it's really a pain.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Lower the aggression?

3. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

It's at 25% - can't go much lower.

4. 88mphTim

If you're on the limit, as they are, yes. If they're hitting you in the back then you're braking earlier than the limit of the car. An average simracer (as I would be) might even want to go as low as 5%.

5. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

That's possible, I'm sim-rusty having not played much over 10/11 and still learning the cars/tracks but that's fair enough, though the default speed of the AI more or less matches my own (save in rain where I tend to leave them for dead). The only real issue I have at this stage is them trying to drive through you once you're spun. I've even been driven in to the water at Monaco by AI lumbering at me like a drugged rhino.

6. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Oh, also, this happens on straights too when cars with more power come up behind you - they seem to leave very little to no personal space when trying to ride past you and this typically results in a nudge followed by a crash.

7. DriverN1

DriverN1 Registered

I remember that after many bad reports about AI in RF1 Mike Z wrote as same "lower AI aggression to 0"... I really don't understand why AI is so nervous on high level aggression and we must decrease it so lower as it's possible.. I remember AI in f1 challenge were good and don't trying drive through my car even at maximum level aggression and even when I was breaking very early... Tim, I think you must try to copy AI calibration from F1 challenge to RF2... I think you can take tuning for AI from F1Challenge at 50% aggression (for example) and copy it to Rf2 for AI at 5% aggression. I suppose it would be good

8. 88mphTim

F1 Challenge is an EA title and EA own most of the code ISI built for it. :)

9. DriverN1

DriverN1 Registered

ok. How about extending of AI aggression's range? You can increase distance between player's car and AI's car for people like me who loves racing with very intelligent and low- aggression AI. Just extend range AI tuning... I think it would be good for different players.. Some of us love aggressive AI, some love non-aggressive...

10. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

interesting topic

11. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Surely even with an agressive driver they would drive around a slower car? When I get off the line with even a slightly slow start they go straight into the back of me in every race series in the game. It would also be really good if the AI acted believeably on the warm up lap, some tyre burnouts would be nice, I know the tyre model doesn't like it but it happens in real life. At the moment the parade lap just consists of cars driving very very slowly, a bit like being in a funeral procession. ;)

12. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

AI are still WIP obviously. While they are far better than rF1 we know we still have some issues with them. We also have talked about tire warming, etc--have to take it one step at a time. First order of business is to finish up their race craft...

13. Michael Juliano

By the way, if anyone experiences an issue of "ramming" please, if you can, make a vid of the replay (or post the replay and let us know the time it occurs) so we can have a look. It would help a lot...

14. DriverN1

DriverN1 Registered

yes, AI is better than rF1. But I still would like AI which better keep distance to player's car even it means that AI overtakings will be not so good as human.. I'd prefer rather stable and even calm peaceful racing against AI than getting hit into my car from AI in the middle of the race...
    Anyway thanks for your hard working.. I hope AI will be perfect in final release

15. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

This is great news Scott, we do appreciate this is one issue on top of many many others you have to deal with.

16. Michael Juliano

Some work has already been done on this (ramming) I found out today, so yes, we're actively trying to improve it ;)

17. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Do they learn? Or are they stuck in the same routines?

18. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I came out of the dangerous pit exit at spa and an AI did an excellent job of not killing me. :D

19. apex

apex Registered

Scott, are the AI given any data about the relative position of a player's car, or other AI, in its current implementation? When a car is on the track, player or AI, I'm assuming there must be some data being processed about its relative position and pace. Can't the AI be coded to interact with this data? Even if it's a scripted routine, maybe the relative position of other vehicles should be seen by the AI as transient positions where they may not drive. Like a moving barrier the size and shape of the respective vehicle's dimensions. I'm assuming of course that this isn't how it's currently done by the AI's current behavior (better than rF1 though).

At race pace, the AI driver's skill level can become a variable to determine how closely the AI driver can drive to this 'barrier' without collision, and their individual aggressiveness a variable to determine whether or not they attempt a pass, or how closely they follow, determined by the immediate race circumstances.

Aggressive drivers with higher skill levels should be able to drive wheel-to-wheel with the player's car and the other AI without any contact while forcing a fight for position. Aggressive drivers with lower skill will run the risk of making contact while fighting for a corner, non-aggressive drivers with higher skill will wait for safer opportunities and so on.

The point is that when the AI is calculating its potential path around the race track, it will not be permitted to include the space occupied by other vehicles while doing so. It will have a narrower track surface to base its calculated path on at any given moment when in the proximity of other cars, in real-time, and not simply drive the fastest race line regardless of the circumstances. Their skill, track conditions, pace and unforeseen events (like crashes ahead) would all be variables in determining whether they come into contact with any other cars. The 'impassable zone' occupied by another vehicle should immediately take precedence over the AI's pathfinding, when this zone moves into the AI's current path, the AI should immediately calculate a new path around the barrier by judging the currently available track surface, and, its closure rate vs potential speed (gearing, available power, driver skill), or check its speed to maintain position safely if a pass isn't feasible.

Or maybe even something simpler, like an 'artificial' sphere or barrier around the vehicles that the AI see as an impenetrable zone, that can be adjusted through vehicle files by users to get the perfect balance according to the series or mod they're competing in. Even a user-defined 'artificial barrier' that simply extends out behind vehicles that the AI see as impassable could be a huge benefit. Again, these adjustable 'zones' would interact with the AI's individual skill set to create the necessary variance so we don't have perfectly clinical racing. I think adjustable measures like these could make for some incredible mods, where we can more accurately recreate the tendencies of historical drivers.

Personally I don't think it's necessary to code complex routines into AI behavior, from my sim experience it's often inconsistent and comes off behaving highly irrational in many circumstances. I think simple scripting can give an impression that the AI are actively 'thinking' when they race, and pull off the necessary 'realism' and situational 'awareness'.

It's really late where I'm at and I'm pretty tired... so I hope you can make some sense out of all that rambling. ;)

20. WallyM

WallyM Registered

I completely agree with the post above!
    Same logic applies when there's a hay bale or similar knocked onto the track.