Race Rejoins

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nazirull Safry Paijo, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Anyone have a chance trying this? How is it compared to, say, iRacing rejoins?

Reminded me of all the rf1 DC races that will be different if i couldve rejoins. This feature will chance the face of a league season tremendously.

2. Sebastian Röhn

Sebastian Röhn Registered

I haven't tested it until now in endurance races...only a couple of times in sprint races. You lost the time which you had already driven on the lap you got the disconnect, the time you need to rejoin the server/race again and than the first lap out of the pits doesn't count. So if you are fast enough with rejoining, you loose minimum 2 laps. There were in former builds bugs reported that the number of laps who should be restored were not correct. But I don't know if it's still buggy with the latest build.

It is a nice feature but for endurance races, where disconnects of drivers/teams happen occasional, there is one part missing. Especially for endurance races longer than 12h is a dedicated server crash possible. You have no result backup file to restore the standing of the race. So you still need some addional software which backups the actual standing and can than be used to restore the race standing for a race restart.

I think for sprint races is that rejoining feature not so interesting, because it will not be used very often. It doesn't make sense to rejoin a race with 2laps back which is maybe only 30min long. For endurance races...that is a must-have. But you also need those backup standing in case...

Maybe some of you know Marcel Offermans rejoin plugin, which can be used for rFactor and rFactor2. The race will be held in a practice session, so rejoining is always possible (except a DQ) and the race scoring will be provided on webpages where also the team members can see it. The rejoin plugin saves a standing every lap so it's very easy to restart a race after the server had crashed.

At the moment I would still prefer endurance races with Marcel Offermans rejoin plugin instead of racing in a rF race session. In rFactor especially with a grid more than 30 cars, server crashes are very probably. I don't know how stable rF2 dedicated servers are. So hope ISI will also bring the feature for backups standings.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
  3. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Thanks for the reply!
    Thats sound like an interesting way to race. Will try out that plugin!

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The bug related to the lapcount dropping back to 64 is now fixed.

5. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Thanks.

So how much time u lose during rejoin is the actual time u lose in the race?

6. Sebastian Röhn

That should be like I already explained. Imho 2 laps missing is ok as a rejoin penalty. But what I have not tested is the case between ESC pressed and a actual disconnect. Is there a difference in penalty time? I pressed ESC, left the server and rejoined again.

I also noticed that yellow damage on the car before the dc is still there after the rejoin. But I don't know what happen with red damage or maybe complete engine failure.

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

You can configure it to get a new car or as it was.

8. Sebastian Röhn

Oh...yes you are right. I forget that. But what happend with setting damage on at rejoining?

If the engine was blown up, it doesn't make sense to rejoin the race if this damage still exists. Means this race is over for the team? That would match to real racing. I like that...

9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

In case of engine failure if damage is configured to persist it should persist. Shouldn't it? Why would it favour the one who blew the engine out wrt the one that hit slightly some wall or vehicle?
    I haven't myself tested with that setting since we use it without damage. It is punishment enough to lose a couple of laps in 1 hour long races we hold.

An interesting possibility in case of connection lost would be that 90%(configurable) strong AI would pick the car until the driver could rejoin the race. The punishment would be minimal. These would completely make independent the damage issue wrt the disconnection issue. No cheating would be possible. F1CE for PS3 did that in 2006.

The possibility to get a new car after pressing ESC exiting from the pitlane and losing the incompleted lap plus a configurable number of laps would be interesting for long endurance races where damage is a nice feature but not to the point to get someone out of the race. I now it is not realistic but it would be something optional and nobody would be forced to use it.

However, and Sebastian must know better than me, since he was in the orga in the last La sarthe 24 hr event I took part at, if you do not guarantee that everybody who wants will survive the race, the assistance would be much less. It is not nice to get out of a race after preparing it for 2 months. Especially when it is not your fault. I think sim racing should take the advantage it has with respect to reality in these cases.

10. Sebastian Röhn

That is one point of few. For rFactor events wasn't this a question because it gives not such options. First endurance races were a fight against the bugs of rF and also with our own technology and internet connection. Like the team in real races fighting against their reliability of the cars, we had to struggle with this one. With Marcel Offermans plugin came endurance simracing to a new level. Still we had to fight with the rF bugs etc. but at least it was possible to rejoin the race. But it is still not an option about what's going on with the damage. You get a complete new car when rejoining the session...Period.

rFactor2 now gives the option to decide rejoining with or without damage. That is the next step imho to get closer to real endurance racing. Yes, with that option enabled your race can be over and maybe it wasn't your fault. On the other hand I hope this initial situation also leads to reconsider the behaviour of the drivers on track. Of course that is something which will come not very fast and is also first up to the organisers of those events to make this point very clear. But imho that's not impossible. The usage of the Marcel Offermans plugin make the endurance races often to sprint races and some teams are taking high risks (f.e. with engine mapping) because they know I still have the option of rejoining.

But with restored damages after a rejoin, you cannot behave like this anymore and you need a better strategy. I know these are many if and maybe but I really would prefer to use restore of damage in those races. But first it needs to be tested what damages are logged and what of that will be restored ( maybe also wear rates of engine, brakes etc)?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
  11. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

To get the damage restored after a rejoin would change the endurance (for good) for ever.

12. Nazirull Safry Paijo

"Race Rejoin":0,
    "Race Rejoin#":"Whether disconnected players can rejoin a race session: 0=no 1=yes with fresh vehicle 2=yes with vehicle in same physical state",

For example : big crash, exit the server...rejoin with a brand new car. Probably losing 1 lap in the process. Instead of losing time on repairs. Good?

13. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

"Race Rejoin":2, :)

14. Nazirull Safry Paijo

too bad DC is not supported in Race Join.

Got a couple of DC in races...i manage to re-join the server but it says 'waiting for open session' or something. so cant continue race. :(

15. stonec

stonec Registered

It is supported, it's a server-side setting. I'm sure all endurance leagues use it.

16. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Wut are the criteria that ure eligible for rejoin?

DC?
    Quit the race intentionally to get fresh car?
    rf2 crashed?

17. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Race rejoin has 3 options you can edit in server settings:

0: Not allowed
    1: People allowed to re-join with a fresh car
    2: People allowed to re-join with vehicle in same physical conditions.

You can edit it in multiplayer.json.

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

If you quit (as in hit ESC) then your race is over and you can't rejoin. Rejoin is only allowed if your connection to the server goes away unexpectedly. The server doesn't know why your connection went away. It could be caused because your power goes out, internet goes down, your kid unplugs your ethernet cable, your crazy enough to race on WiFi and your wife turns on the microwave, your computer crashes or your game crashes. Basically anything but hitting ESC.

19. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

You sure about that Noel? Im almost certain that when i tested in one of our servers i´ve ESCaped and rejoined.

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It didn't used to let you rejoin after hitting ESC but you are absolutely right, it is letting me rejoin. This must have changed in newer builds but this isn't the intended behaviour. If the server is set to restore damage then at least they don't come back with a fresh car. But This could be exploited when your off track headed at a wall. But that could be prevented by setting the server to not let you hit ESC until the car is stopped.

This needs to be fixed for sure.