Race etiquette,Racing craft for newcomers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cambo83, Apr 28, 2014.

1. smithaz

smithaz Registered

I agree quote with this the most. It takes two to tango and it takes two to avoid an incident most of the time. I consider myself a fast driver, I may not be the best and cleanest racer but I do try. Quite often I am overtaking a slower driver and he is defending to the death and a lot of the time it is the death of him cos he cannot see the writing on the wall and does something dangerous 1 too many times. Similarly people will sometimes pull a crazy move on me and I will have to react so as not to cause an incident, they may think they pulled off an amazing overtake when it was actually out of order. It is always the best to drive with the top drivers of a similar skill level and leave each other room to go 2 by 2 through corners etc, I think when it comes to sim racing only a small few have the car control to drive like this.

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I'll add something.

I absolutely hate it when guys are fighting for position with a faster car in the beginning laps of a 45+ minute race. Just makes no sense. Just because the slower car got a better start off the line doesn't mean he should create a train of cars so early in the race. But that's just me. :)

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Race with your head, not your ego. If you race with intelligence then you can race clean and keep a faster car behind you :)

Pressuring others into mistakes is what racing is all about a bit of give and take is necessary.

4. Wishmaster

Wishmaster Registered

Why should a slower driver gift you a position? If he is able to keep you for 45+ minute behind without doing crazy defending he is just doing a got job. Then its your job to generate so much pressure that he will make a mistake an miss his line so that you can do a pass. Its a good challenge to wait patient to execute a clean pass :)
    And if you cant pass him he just made the better job :D

5. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I agree with Wishmaster on this one.
    We are all on the grid to race. Race clean and fair but race indeed.
    If a driver is "faster" he needs to out qualify the "slower" driver and get a good start to execute his ideal race.
    If the "slower driver" gets track poistion it is his job and goal to stay in front for as long as possible.

In a recent race that I was part of in Formula Renault 3.5 we run a 45 min race for full points then a 40 min race in reverse order for 1/2 points.
    The racing is usually awesome in the second race.
    One consistent winner with huge pace got to P2 and the leading driver who possibly lacked the ultimate speed of the 2nd placed guy used incredibly good strategic thinking. Slightly less wing meant he was un passable on the straights even if compromised a little on ultimate lap time (see Prosts book on this) and kept it tidy in the turny bits.
    The 2nd placed "faster driver" eventually over heated his engine and brakes and tyres in the slipstream and had to slow.
    AND THATS WHY RF2 IS AWESOME.
    His job was done, stole the win.
    If another driver is behind you and you are racing for position its your job to keep him there unless it will hurt your race too much.
    If you are close to the car in front and he has good pace sometimes its better to go with him, make a gap on the ones behind and save your move for when you have a safe gap.
    Race on sim racers.