Race etiquette,Racing craft for newcomers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cambo83, Apr 28, 2014.

1. cambo83

cambo83 Registered

Hey all just thought I'd do a bit about race etiquette and race craft,passing.

Coming from a racing background myself I see lots of drivers making bad choices in overtaking and in other places.So thought I'd give you the rules I set out for myself so I don't make so many mistake's.

1)Never hold faster drivers up get out the way if you are slower let them through.

2)Always drive within your limits(when you try to hard is when accident's happen and you risk taking others out unnecessary)

3)Even if involved in an accident where some one messed up don't lash out as you may put other drivers off with the text,this applies if you join a room and a race is going don't talk to drivers its off putting.

4)Always respect others in the game we all are brothers in sim racing we should have respect for all.

5)Try your hardest to never get to angry when driving you'll lose time possibly crash out the race,you'll also drive more aggressive in this state of mind.

Going to do a bit about race craft now and starting off with overtaking who has the rights to the corner the defending driver or the passing driver?

In karting it's up to the passing driver to do so safely this means its your job as a passing driver to do so in a safe manner avoiding contact and not passing in a manner that would cause a collision with the other car this can be hard to achieve but my rule is in passing if I'm half a car up the inside then its my corner anything less should be a failed pass and bite the bullet and pull back in behind the defending driver.It can be hard to have this discipline but this is what is required when racing cqb don't think you can know you can take the place,or don't bother trying.

As a defending driver I will not block over excessively and don't believe in over defending this mean's I will not be watching my mirrors instead of watching the track, less chance of missing braking points and less chance of a collision when over defending(WEAVING TO BREAK LOSE A DRAFT) although this tactic is a racing tactic, its classed as bad sportsmanship by all class of racing if your slower why slow him/her down to your speed by keeping faster running drivers behind.As for into a corner you as a defending driver can place the car where you want but remember that forcing someone onto the outside my result in his race ending, this comes back to if your slower get the F outa the way you can always draft him and stick with him that way.It is also your job as a defending driver to make sure and leave the passing driver plenty of room and avoid a contact as best you can.I would like to do a video on this showing the do and don't of sim racing gotto wait for my new internet tho take me a year to upload it on this connection.

I'm not an expert but I have real life racing experience might of only been at karting lvl but where do you think all the greats started,I hope this brings some help to newcomers or to some of you who have played for a while you can learn something new every day if you choose to:p

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I would add.... if you are the slower car with a faster car approaching and it is for position then fight for it, but not too aggressively. If you are quick enough or you play things right you could be ahead of them in a lap.

If you are being lapped, keep a clean predictable line into and out of a corner so the faster car behind knows where you will be. Do not suddenly pull off line as that is what the faster car may be thinking at the time, and ends in tears :)

3. cambo83

cambo83 Registered

Yeah fight for position but if clearly the guy is faster you can't expect him to sit there waiting so rather than the slower guy causing a crash I would in this situation give the place up and settle for the place I just got in rfactor you dont get anything for winning so there is no point in over fighting for position, sim racing is not as forgiving as real life racing, for real u can touch and bump in real life lots more than u can in a sim I find sim racing more of a challenge as they make sims so much more difficult to simulate real racing this makes the game very unforgiving plus the fact you can't feel what the cars doing so us as gamers don't have the feeling of over steer as u would in a car half of driving quick is feed back from the ass in the seat so yeah fight for it but don't over fight (also known as being over aggressive) as in real life you'd be black flagged and may even D/Qed

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

If I see one more moron use this quote as an excuse to dive-bomb, I will throw up. Not every gap is a gap, and overtaking is a lot harder than this. Going for a gap you "think" might be there, usually ends with 2 broken cars. Hyper aggressive drivers do a lot more bad than good and can ruin a race/series/league. Drive a proper line and learn how to really overtake.

5. cambo83

cambo83 Registered

totally agree Guy this is my reason for this post to help those who do have trouble over taking cleanly its up to these drivers to take something from this and put it to practice would love to see more closer racing without the big accident's i can sit on someones bumper for lap after lap as long as both drivers are taking some of the point's and advice posted above if you feel I missed any points out add to them this is an open discussion and we are here to help any new comers to our game we love so much its our job to make this community a place for all not just us faster guys and newcomers get left to figure stuff out by them self's this is just the first one I thought of and had the time to do I wanna do a post on consistent driving i.e doin a whole race with no problems and maintaining a consistent lap time's this will improve your driving style and improves you lap times in the long run but thats another post.:)

6. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Usually used by teenagers that didn't even live then Senna was racing. Also drives me nuts when I hear someone say that for an excuse of their divebombs. I also made some in my past but they were all made in split second decisions in a heat of an action. Which came out wrong. Everybody makes mistakes. Everyone should just learn from them.

That's why I was more of a Prost guy (if I had to choose between these two). Political, sure but without having brainfades, crushing into people.

I usually tend to fish out some fast and potentially good drivers if I see one. Tutor them, feed them with some knowlage, help them develop as a racer not just hotlapper. When I see progress and how they perform when the time comes I feel proud of my pupil and myself :)

Cancer of racing communities usually are people that come from arcade games where they trashed everything that was breathing or not. If they are willing to admit that they are new to more realistic way of racing and are keen to learn this new type of racing then they may become really good simracers but when you meet a guy that says this: "Why you didn't let me through, I was attacking you! Me: "Yeah, my back end when I was already at the apex. That's not the way to do it" Him: "In NFS Shift 2/Grid/Insert any other racing game similar to them... you wouldn't even get close to me grandpa" Me: "sigh..."

When you see sth like this you know that you are facing most probably an example of lost cause. Unfortunetly you can see them quite often on public servers. I'm fairly calm and patient person but I can't admit that I'm not getting frustrated when I see sth like this. From time to time you meet wonderful guys with great attitude on and outside a track. It is a great pleasure to be part of that when it happens. However when out of 10 races that you have, 4-5 end up with you on your roof because someone thought that "braking is for the weak!" it really gets to you and can't enjoy casual racing at public servers. Everytime I try to convince myself that this time it will be different maybe this guy has learned sth and it will be fine now... NOOOOOOOOOOOPE, comes through my head when I'm in the wall because this guy thought that bumping my rear wheels on the straight is the way to go. ;)

I have tons of stories that happened to me not even this year but last 2 weeks! When there's no real penalty of having brainfades other than losing your reputation, people will keep on doing silly stuff becasue "duuude, it's not like I killed your dog. Be cool". And guess what. He's partially right. He didn't kill my dog, it's only a game afterall. But what's the definition of game: A game is structured playing, usually undertaken for enjoyment and sometimes used as an educational tool. Key components of games are goals, rules, challenge, and interaction. - Taken from wikipedia. I would also add to that: Game should provide feeling of relaxation, joy and fun. Friendly competition.

So when one guy says: "It's not like I killed your dog." He might not did that but he killed my joy that I could have had if it wasn't for him. Maybe it didn't killed his fun (but also didn't help it either) but for sure it killed my fun.

Most of fun I've get comes from telemetry, making setups, seeing progress on track. It's even 90 % of my fun actually. 10 %, so the rest of it comes from racing. You might say that it is small percentage so I may live without it. Not really, when you want to enjoy sth to it's fullest, you need 100 %. So when someone takes away my 10 %, even my 90 % feels empty and joyless. Only as a whole it makes my experience great.

YES to newbies coming to rF2, NO to noobs!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
  7. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Here are somethings that some people don't get, that frustrates me.

If you are behind someone, you will have to brake earlier than usual! Who would figure!
    If you are going to let someone by, make it known early, so you don't make the person behind you guess what you're going to do.

Just two simple things that some people just don't get.

8. cambo83

cambo83 Registered

Good point's and all come under race craft or etiquette this is some of the thing's newcomer's need to have put out for them so they can decide if this sort of racing sim is for them and if not then they can go play a less sim oriented racing GAME keep this stuff coming guys some good things getting put in here.

All this is just basically what your mum would say have some manners child,well have some manner's on track:p

9. Emery

Emery Registered

"You can race side-by-side. Leave your opponent a car width plus 6 inches."
    - Randy Pobst

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
  10. Emery

Emery Registered

You don't have to fight for every corner. Sometimes following is smarter because it's only the finish line that matters.

11. Emery

Emery Registered

The cleanest way to give up a position is to lift/brake a little early and then you can tuck in behind the overtaking car. If you can't stay in touch with them afterwards, then you didn't stand a chance anyways.

12. Emery

Emery Registered

Remember your opponents names. Learn their driving style, know who you can trust and who you should leave extra space.

13. Emery

Emery Registered

Online racers have blind spots and usually can't see you when you're side-by-side.

14. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

You all should have in mind most crashes are fault of both divers or can be avoided by defending driver.

I think Im a really experienxed driver (not the fastest, but experienced), and last 2 years I finished at least 90% of my races for sure. And was not because people were 100% clean, is because even in 26 drivers grids I could avoid lots of crashes. In first laps if another driver force his car to find a gap because you are no in a defensive line... you can not close the door when Its late. Most accidents I see in my league with drivers behind the 10th or 12th positions are caused by defending driver trying to turn likr there was no one inside. Its fair to do risky overtakes? Maybe not without experience, but if one guy brake later than you and he still trying to overtakes anyway, avoid an accident and do not turn like there were no cars inside!

When I have fights in top 8 positions, I do not see accidents, and drivers can even force the car more and more in fights because we know we are all experienced drivers and we know maintain distances as defenders and as attackers. Results... awesome overtakes, awesome fights, awesone races!!

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

15. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

If you make a mistake, be prepared to be overtaken, leave racing room, don't shut the door and accept that you made a mistake. Once you have fully recovered, you are back on pace and the guy in back of you is now closer, be prepared for him to be extra aggressive for at least the next lap. Drive a defensive line for this time period. Unless it's the final lap!

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I've found that drivers often assume they are correct in their actions and others are not. this only feeds into the incident ratio, even in league racing.
    We implemented 2 rules years ago to tackle this problem, Avoidable Contact and Unjustifiable Risk, because the best way to ensure safety on-track is when each driver holds his end of the deal making sure his actions are safe no matter what others are doing.

I'm not sure about yielding to faster drivers though, I know I would not, if you faster then make a pass. and the other way around if i'm behind a slower driver I would never expect them to yield for me either, both are in the same race, both have equal rights.
    Bieng faster don't always mean much either, allot of fast drivers are hotlappers whom can't find consistency and often dnf.
    Besides it can make it even more unsafe as you never really know what they will be doing, I've been caught off-guard a few times with drivers wanting to let me pass for whatever reason on the same lap and almost took me out by doing a move in an unexpected place.
    I'de rather decide for myself thank you, much safer :)

17. cambo83

cambo83 Registered

its when a slower car infront make's his line's too aggressive to overtake that is the problem if u over defend in a real life race u would be D/Qed What I mean is if your slower and manage to keep him behind for a few corners but the other driver is right up yir butt well chances are your going to make him make a drivebomb the defending driver then has to react to this move and chances are he is not watching his mirrors so a crash will happen this comes under race etiquette same go for the guy making divebombs tho, the defending isn't watching whats goin on in his mirrors all the time so he has to have some trust in the overtaking driver to do so safely this applies to real racing alike.If you keep getting wiped out by overtaking/by defending drivers you will begin to have less trust in new driver's and trust those you've raced in the past I've only met a few drivers that can proper cqb with me for laps and when you know that guy next to you is trust worthy and wont take you out intentionally or accidentally it is almost as good a feeling as when you do cqb in real life.

18. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Fair enough, and when talking more open races you're probably right.

But it still is racing, if yielding just because someone is faster, then its not racing anymore. same for passing, if people just move over, why even race?
    In both your cases (defender blocking just to block/attacker divebombing) its their actions that cause incidents.

Imo holding your line, and making sure the guy behind see's this (no weaving or sudden actions) is the safest way. it becomes predictable for both drivers. And when the solid line is a defensive line then bad luck for the guy behind.

I think this is particularly important for public racing as you have no idea what other drivers do or how they race. so predictability in lines is key. otherwise it becomes a guessing game and the result of that is fast drivers getting impatient with the slow drivers, bumping them out of the way, slow drivers getting fed up as well and starting to defend more harshly.
    And that only increases incidents.

19. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

This is how I drive.

20. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

When allowing a pass (eg under blue flag) it is much safer to lift in an acelleration zone than a braking zone.
    A slight lift on corner exit and the passing car will have the pass.
    On corner entry/braking zones things are much more hectic.