Question about "slowwhenpushed" in AIW

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by atomed, Jun 17, 2021.

1. atomed

atomed Member

Does this value make the AI just go slower under pressure as the name implies or it also makes them take the block line later? That´s the feeling I get when I lower down the value below 0.60

2. Corti

Corti Registered

atomed likes this.
  3. atomed

atomed Member

Thanks, I was wondering if there was a parameter to make the AI more or less willing to take the block path :rolleyes:

4. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

It can also make them crash cause they didn't slow enough when running offline, so you gotta be careful with it

Emery, philrob, Corti and 1 other person like this.
  5. atomed

atomed Member

Thanks for answering @Alex Sawczuk , I'd like to make an unrelated question.
    I don't know what reverb stands for in AIW terms, can you help me with that?

6. Corti

Corti Registered

7. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

The reverb settings are not used. Collision corridors are used to calculate reverb instead

Corti, philrob and atomed like this.
  8. atomed

atomed Member

I see, thanks.

9. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Blocking line:

I find that after creating a blocking line, the ai won’t use it for a while.

I read this and it works:

I usually have the full field run an entire 60 min practice session “hit next session not leave track” Then a qualifying session again full time and next session. After that they will start to block.

other factors
    More blocking over 25 aggression
    Spread of field matters as some slower cars are required

Testing:
    Accelerate time with a camera facing down at a straight and you can see ai move over after these steps.

atomed likes this.
  10. atomed

atomed Member

Great findings, thanks for sharing :cool:

11. Bob Gnarley

Bob Gnarley Registered

I messed around with Slowwhenpushed in GTR2.

As offline players will know, get behind the AI on a long straight for example...fine. But if you get too close they brake hard. Slowwhenpushed relates to the degree of braking ai use in this situation. The default 1.00 seems to be full pedal which is why it can be hard not to slam into the rear on these occasions.

The temptation might be to set this to zero to eliminate that sudden braking but this leaves the ai unable to respond to collisions with itself in certain situations and chaos ensues. With GTR2 i found that the collisions had settled down at around 0.20, so set a figure of 0.23 giving enough braking for the ai but at a rate that makes those rear enders a little more avoidable. Obviously Rf2 is a different beast so experimentation is best.

atomed likes this.
  12. atomed

atomed Member

Do you know if there is also any parameter to modulate their willingness to take the blocking path? Sometimes they do it too early at corner entry and that puts them in a weak corner exit situation.

13. Bob Gnarley

Bob Gnarley Registered

Sorry Atomed, i've no idea on that one.

atomed likes this.
  14. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

I have found that too Atomed.. They successfully block resulting in slowing the pace on exit or be overtaken the next corner.

I usually make the blocking line slide over some down a straight then move back over closer to the line approaching the braking zone.
    I also make the blocking line subtle and smooth. I seen some where they swerve all the way to other side of the track.

atomed likes this.
  15. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

I think the fastest and the block line should be very similar. Only before entering a turn the block line should close the inner side of the turn ("closing the door"). Could be seen very good at Loch Drummond in devmode.

Fastest on the left side of the track and block line on the right side of the track makes the AI do silly moves. Look for example at Lester 2.01 start/finish straight where the AI sweeps from the extreme right to the extreme left side of the track. This will also cause a problem with the pit path because you could not get a smooth transition.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2021
    atomed likes this.
  16. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Only at the turn? Never at any point down the straight. Gentleman’s agreement until the last few laps? sounds like a Drivers meeting lol

good point Manfred

I will make deeper blocking lines for cars with fenders makes for great battles side x side. Open wheel a little less. Another great point regarding the pit path too.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    atomed likes this.
  17. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

I usually make my blocking lines so if i was defending where i would go on the track myself to block the moves. i usually do blocking line for the straights too if the car is supposed to keep the inside line for the upcoming corner.

Because of me doing it on the straights too the ai knows how to go side by side pretty easily

One example of this is if you go drive the keimola conversion and let ai drive it and observe what it does

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    atomed and PatientRF2fan like this.