Released Q4 2022 Update and Content Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

We expect so, yes

2. Herve_Versabeau

Herve_Versabeau Registered

bmw 330
    very dark interior mirror
    20221109104605_1.jpg

pascom likes this.
  3. BedlamSquare

BedlamSquare Registered

I have also observed odd, and downright annoying behaviour from the AI since the latest update. I've tried core-game GT3s around a mod track (Watkins Glen), BTCC around the new Croft, and the Caterham around Mores for the Rookie Cup. I've also tried a few other combinations, and I got the same outcome each time.

I've had to turn off the AI when I do offline practise sessions, as they drive like I'm not there. They make no attempt to overtake. They just take the racing line whether I'm there or not. Time after time I get ploughed off the track, then dragged along as the AI car tries to rejoin with my wheels tangled in theirs. It's more noticeable around a small track like Mores, but they do the same on a large track. Time after time I found myself in the barrier at Watkins Glen, having been shoved off by an AI car. It's really offputting (although it's probably what would happen in many online races...).

I would suggest that experienced and fast drivers (like BETA testers), probably wouldn't have noticed this, as the AI seems to behave reasonably well if you are faster than them or about the same speed. As I got the hang of Mores and the Caterham, they seemed to crash into me less often, mostly because I was able to stay out of their way. While I was learning the track and car they were a total nuisance. Having said that, I know Watkins Glen really well, and they were immensely annoying there.

On the plus side, the annoying 'on-off' behaviour is gone, and following an AI car is now a fairly fun experience as they don't keep brake-checking me. Fending off an AI car behind is a totally different matter. You can't have a 'battle' - if you can't pull away, you have to let them go, or they will take the racing line even if you are already there.

I've also noticed that if I spin or stop on the track, the AI generally don't go around me or take evasive action. Some do, but most of the time they just ram straight into me at full speed and destroy my car. It doesn't appear that their cars get similarly damaged, as they continue on like nothing happened.

The AI also ride kerbs hard, and often bounce up in the air. This doesn't seem to affect their braking or control though - they take the corner perfectly even though they arrived at it a foot from the ground. Turn 6 of Mores is a perfect example. They leap over the kerb of the slight right-hander, which is in the braking zone for turn 7, just before the pit entrance. They can still manage to get the car slowed down, and hit the apex of turn 7.

The same applies to grass. When I go on the grass, I spin instantly. It's like ice (unrealistically so). That doesn't deter the AI, who often end up on the grass at More's turn 2 chicane, but can still drive right past me. They can even pass me on the inside of turns 3-4, on the grass.

Many of us would rather learn the track and practise our racecraft against AI, rather than ruining someone else's race online. At the moment this isn't feasible. While the latest update has fixed one unacceptable feature, it seems to have introduced a new one, which I am finding to be worse.

For reference, I have verified my rF2 files through Steam, I have no AI mods and I have not modified any files.

4. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

A new hotfix update to the public build of rFactor 2 has been released.

9897039 // 9897045
    - Fixed an issue where the UI wouldn't load in a fresh install
    - Fixed transmission sounds

5. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

I assume that it is not glass, but the image from the camera, so it is a display. I wonder if IRL he is the same or not.

upd:
    I couldn't find a onboard video on youtube.
    @Paul Jeffrey, what is this actually? :D

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  6. Hebree

Hebree Registered

Racing the BTCC against the ai, seems like the RWD cars dominate the FWD. BMW and Infinity taking up top 5 every race

7. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

@Coco Do note that IIRC, the refund policy on store-items like this is 48hrs.

8. lagg

lagg Registered

In what circuits?

9. Hebree

Hebree Registered

Thruxton, Donington Nat, Silverstone Nat, Croft, Brands Hatch GP and knockhill. They dominate qualy by about half a second. I tried 21 and 22 version of the cars as well.

lagg likes this.
  10. Leynad

Leynad Registered

The screenshot was just proof that I tried the suggestion and activated the previous version in Steam, without success. So LFM was running the newest version and the suggested fix was just a clueless try to sound smart while insulting me.

I did the common fix last night: wipe rF2 off the SSD, new install and problems gone... at least for the moment. And this also proves without a doubt that rF2 update-installations can cause issues like mine and Steam file integrity check doesn't fix anything.
    PS: The onboard sound is too quiet with just 25% on default.

PPS: Just tried the old 'UserData'-folder and problems still fixed.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  11. finitol

finitol Registered

hi devs.
    Which is the closer roadmap for 'our' amazing sim? can you share something about next releases or fixes?

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Not a Dev, but that is an easy one. Come back in 3 months! ;)

Rui Santos and trichens like this.
  13. Mike Tobin

Mike Tobin Registered

I am having strange behavior by the ai also. I set up a 45 minute practice session with ai, fuel x3, most don't even set a timed lap, they do an outlap and then just come back into the pits, there is a yellow flag every time i come on to the start finish straight but there is no cars off track to cause it and all is clear in the pitlane, this is on all tracks, mods and official. In the race then some ai are pitting after 3 or 4 laps, makes no sense!

14. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

The RC worked without any serious problems. I could not play with the new 'stable' build for more than 5 minutes without CTD. Any time I tried. I know that in theory it's the same as the RC. But it is not.

15. Leynad

Leynad Registered

I had the same issue with the previous quarter-update both with RC and official update. The RC even f-ed up the 'none'-version. A fresh install fixed it and as just mentioned, it might not be a 'UserData'-issue, so keep it but wipe the rF2-install folder and start with a fresh UserData as well in case I'm wrong.

Balazs Magyar likes this.
  16. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Vanwall Vandervell VR Issue

Enjoying testing out all the new stuff but i've found a problem. I can't use the Vanwall Vandervell in VR. For some reason, with this car in VR, it causes the left eye to intermitently go black, it goes black for a milisecond and happens randomly but regularly. It happens at every track i've taken it to.

At first I thought there was something wrong with my headset but after further testing its just with this car, all other cars i've tried so far are fine.
    Its extremely annoying, I just can't drive it in VR

Anyone else noticed this? Try it at Barhain, its so bright there it makes it very obvious

Magus and Craig Waddell like this.
  17. Mike Tobin

Mike Tobin Registered

So i just switched back to the previous build and everything is working perfectly again, no yellow flags on pit straight and ai aren't acting like muppets! This new build has some serious bugs concerning ai ( at least for me anyway). Are you supposed to delete any folders or anything after an update that could cause this?

18. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

I don't have the Vandervell but I'm having the same issue in the BMW M2 Cup car, can you test that car too?

19. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Really, wow ok, so its a problem with this build then, not just the car. I'll try the BMW, which track were you using and what version of the car Cup or more powerfull version? I'll try re-create the senario. Cheers for getting back to me with this!

20. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

I was on Lausitzring 2016 as we're having a league race there next week. We're in the Cup version, the slower class.

21. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered