pTool help

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Autosport, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Autosport

Autosport Registered

Hi everyone, hope you can help me out. I'm a total noob btw.

I'm an ex-F1 designer and so my interest in rFactor2 is in the ability to change the physics and see what difference it makes. Particularly interested in pTool for playing with suspension and mass locations etc.

I've looked at the tutorial on pTool, and I think I'm missing some fundamental knowledge or instructions.

Tutorial says:-

1) Run rF2 in developer mode, load up a track with the Skip Barber (or vehicle of choice) selected. Then exit out of rF2 dev mode. It will have created a simple conversion of the PM file to a pTool-like INI file in \UserData. Using the skip barber example, the filename will be “SKIPBARBER_SUSP (converted from pm).ini”. Note that the converter has updated the mass and inertia of the main body (from the HDV data minus the other bodies), the mass of the fuel tank (always converts to 0.5 from PM files), and the pitch inertia of the wheels (from the SpinInertia). Open this file and save a copy into your \pTool folder inside rFactor, let’s just call it “SkipBarber_Chassis.ini” as opposed to the old “SkipBarber_susp.pm” file.

So I did this and searched my hard drive for \userdata and I find that there are 3 \userdata folders associated to rfactor folders in various places. None of them have a (converted from pm) file in. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
    Darren

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

This is where mine is:
    Documents\rFactor2\ModDev\UserData

It will be in the moddev section though.

3. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Welcome!
    My Autogenned file was here:
    *\My Documents\rFactor2\ModDev\UserData

I created my pTool folder here: C:\Program Files\rFactor2\

You will definitely want to rename the "converted".ini to something more memorable and shorter since in order for it to load you have to manually type it in and ptool seemed very fickle with case.

4. Angus94

Angus94 Registered

i created the pTool folder, put a tgm file in there ran RF2 but the developer mode icon is greyed out.

rf2 tyres is the only thing holding me up from progressing further

rf2 so damn frustrating

5. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

There's a problem with the launcher in 798 not being able to open the SDK. Jeremy posted an updated one in one of the threads in the Technical & Support forum. Might b worth a shot.

6. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered