[REL] PM3DM Nissan Primera BTCC

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by patrikmarek, Oct 4, 2017.

1. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

22104785_1297497183695948_6135678451934880778_o.jpg

this has been released on steam workshop, please let me know if you encouter any issues

still heavily WIP

Known issues:
    Motec not fully functioning
    No driver animation or driver
    No wiper animation
    No visible damage
    Lights still wip
    No testing has been done on rain tires even though they are included, waiting on new rain imprementation by S397
    Graphics and Physics work still ongoing, all feedback appreciated

credits
    car & textures by Patrik Marek
    rf2 coversion by Slamfunk
    sounds by Fonsecker

please let us know your thoughts

physics should be quite close, we thought

2. rocky289

rocky289 Registered

I downloaded it & gave it a run today.
    Goes real good.
    Run it against the BTCC NGTC cars for comparison.
    I found it too fast for that group, so not too sure just where it should run.

3. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

I'm sure there are more knowledgeble people around, but I don't think it's impossible that these were as fast as the modern BTCC's

Donnington Qualifying Lap Record:
    Jason Plato:1:09.460s(102.57mph)2014

And from super tourers
    3 James THOMPSON [​IMG] Team Honda Sport Honda Accord 1:10.135

as an example

adamfarmer and Alexandr Meshkov like this.
  4. adamfarmer

adamfarmer Registered

Many thanks for bringing this to rFactor2. :cool:

Slamfunk3 and patrikmarek like this.
  5. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Yes it's not because it's from 20 years ago that it's meant to be slow.
    1997 pole position for race 2 on the Donington national circuit was 1'10''803 by Menu. Reid qualified 10th +0''772.
    Even if the chicane is different, it's not that much of a difference either.

Those cars ran twice IIRC on a current BTCC weekend in the past years. Once at Oulton Park. Although the tires are probably different from what they were in the 90's, it could make for a decent comparison.

Anyway, thanks for the mod !

Slamfunk3 likes this.
  6. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Great car, very funny to drive, i predict a lot of epic battles online :)

Any chance to increase the seat position range? Currently i need to use the hood view because i can't match the cockpit view with my rig, i have the screen just behind the steering wheel, usually i match the virtual wheel with the real one and i have a perfect view.

7. Andregee

Andregee Registered

8. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

Hey guys,
    Thanks for the kind words, really nice to read. Patrik's done such a great job building this car I thought it's an absolute must to bring it to rF2. Graphics are no where near my strong suit so if you guys have any suggestions as far as the look (textures, shaders) of the car I'm all ears. I want to thank the guys at PM3DM. They're all working their butts off and we're all starting to benefit from it. Also wanted to say a big thanks to Fonsecker for doing the sounds for us.

Now to some of the feedback. These cars where pretty fast. Where as the NGTC cars have more torque and a bit more power these cars relied on carrying a lot of speed thru the corners. I've tried to test them across a wide range of tracks and think they should be close to they're real counterparts. Having said that I do think they're a bit quick around Donington tho I put it down to the track maybe being a bit too smooth, certainly smoother then it was in the 90s. At places like Croft, Brands, Oulton Park, Bathurst and Estoril I think the times are pretty spot on.

@krusti In which direction are you lacking adjustment? I have no problem increasing the range I'd just like to double check to make sure something else isn't a problem :). Do you by any chance have your monitor significantly below or above your eye position. I do have the pitch set at 0 and so perhaps it's what Andregee is referring to. Tho you shouldn't need any plugins as pitch can now be adjusted in game.

TK

philmcqueen and adamfarmer like this.
  9. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Simply stunning job!

Racing in VR, its clear a few things are unfinished, but I was at Brands on Sunday to watch the final BTCC race, and this really brought a smile to my face taking the Nissan for a spin round there tonight.

Super job on the physics and 3d model, and that audio is so so good!

Hope you find the enthusiasm to continue and get this one over the line.

10. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I have a hard time driving FWD cars in rF2, i tested this and my first conclusions is that the car is too understeery, also front tires heat a lot, tried different options in setup but this behaviour was too hard to avoid... Anyway i know this is early version, first impressions were good, thanks for the work and keep up improving it! Cheers!

11. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

@Slamfunk3 Forward direction, i'm gonna explain why:
    as i think many others, i don't like to change the FOV to reach the perfect view (and i think it's wrong to do so) because i don't want to lose the natural feeling of speed. Actually i'm using +60 FOV which is perfect for any car. So, keeping the same FOV with all cars i just need to move the seat forward and match the perfect view :)
    Here the example with the max seat position, the camera was a bit below the height of my eyes
    [​IMG]
    A bit to far, usually i can match the virtual LCD screen with the space inside my Logitech

Of course if it's only a my problem nevermind :)

12. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

one thought on the seating position though, they were sitting lot closer to steering wheel, then what drivers sit these days , so it might not necessarily feel the same, it caught me by surprise in AC as well when I tried it in VR, it felt like the steering wheel was too close, but from all the photos and how the cokcpit worked out, it all seems that it's about right

adamfarmer likes this.
  13. boxer

boxer Registered

Great job guys... top MOD for for sure. Very good graphically, ffb and sound.:)
    One thing I would improve would be the mirrors. I would fix the FOV, vertical/horizontal ratio. so it matches reality. Very important special in VR with VM turned off.

14. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

Matty,
    Motivation is high. It's been fun messing around with FWD, something I've never done before. They're all backwards. Might have to do something RWD for a bit to get my sanity back ;)

Krusti,
    I see, I'll def add some more forward adjustment.

Rui,
    If you're overheating your front tires that badly you probably have no temp in the rears. Try getting the rear to rotate early into the turn and then use the FWD to pull you out of it. I've read people describe these cars as "driving like a crappy F3 car". You can really drive it with the accelerator. Oh and use as much curb as possible, it straightens out the turn and is just a lot of fun :D

Boxer,
    The mirrors are my fault. They're still mapped for the AC texture and I keep forgetting to ask Patrik to remap them. Thanks for mentioning it.

Thanks for the feedback
    TK

patrikmarek and adamfarmer like this.
  15. TwoHardCore

TwoHardCore Registered

I've only driven one 20-lap race in this car, but I like it! I didn't have any set-up issues with this car in it's default configuration. I'm a very slow driver (52.1 was my fastest lap in the race @ Mores) and didn't have issues with the tire temps, or the any under/oversteer issues. I'll be doing more tests tonight on larger circuits and maybe play with some set-up changes if I feel they need them. Nice default set up I think.

Thanks for this car Patrik & Co. I do hope you also consider your other cars to be made for rF2 as well ;)

16. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Great mod,I'm not knowledgable about these cars but are they as planted as this in real life,I can't induce lift off oversteer at all,and even trying handbrake turns,it seems the tyres just don't want to let go,like i said though it's very good as is,but for me a little too planted.
    The best fwd car in game so far for me though

17. Boomer20

Boomer20 Registered

Loved this car in my childhood playing TOCA 2 so was really excited to see this. Lovely to drive, did a 3 lap race (with lots of restarts) and had a very entertaining race with the AI.
    Think I would bounce around the walls if the other late 90s BTCC super tourers follow down the track (You chose the best one though :p ).

18. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I tried this, not easy, tires heat a lot, i know how to drive a FWD, like the Civic, but in this car it's harder to create balance. Don't get me wrong, i think the mod is great in other aspects, only this "handling" is a bit strange to me. FYI i tried it at Zandvoort!

Cheers!

19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The only thing that jumped out at me graphically, was the rear mirror seemed to have the wrong ratio of width to height. Cars approaching in the rear mirror looked squeezed so that they were narrower, and taller. Road also was a narrow ribbon.

Slamfunk3 likes this.
  20. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

Rui,
    I appreciate the feedback, apologies if it sounded otherwise. I've done some testing at Estoril as the ETCC guys ran there in 2001 so there's some lap time references. That last turn is a tire killer so that's been one of my test spots. I do want to encourage some tire management, watching the old races I noticed some guys really pushing to gain positions and often they pay for it later on. At the same time if the tires cook too much that's no good for anyone so I'll def look into it some more.

Patchedup,
    I haven't tried any e-brake turns so not sure about that but turn 1 at Toban is a great spot for a tail out drift. The default setup is also on the more stable side as I have to take the AI into consideration and they're not big fans of oversteer.

TK