Please freeze the feature list... for now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cracheur, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

Hello,

reading through the recent posts it seems that many people are not really happy with what's going on right now.
    In many posts I can read that people have the impression that rF2 is still only half-baked for many features.
    The partial content updates etc... do not really help either.

However, more or less everybody agrees that rF2 has the best FFB and physics out there! THIS IS the most important thing!Why don't you just concentrate on the important things: gfx, sounds, multiview, clutch, modding system and the online system: none of these are finalised but ISI continues to add new "half-baked"-features. > the list of open issues just grows and grows... and people are getting more and more frustrated.

Honestly, even though rain-spray might be nice it's not a top priority for rF2. Let's not forget that the game is sold at full price and after 18 months, I think it's getting time to see "light at the end of the tunnel"... (if this expression exists in english-;))

Fior me the most important thing is to get the content system and online racing sorted out. >these 2 factors kill casual online racing completely. > You will miss an important part of the community and customers.

2. Golanv

Golanv Registered

3. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Perhaps they need to add theses "so called" half backed features to be able to finalize things,
    have you ever looked at it like that!

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Which is what a beta program is for just like mmorpg games have, a separate beta area and when stuff gets polished it gets released finished not half baked like we have:
    -Rain spray
    -Flow of snow/spray over vehicles
    -#of practice, qualifying and race sessions

Just to name three!

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Beta>implement half baked stuff>watch users go mental>pick up on reports>have a beer>start working on it some more.

I don't see the issue really. i'm pretty sure ISI is not doing stuff randomly and most likely have thought things through. unlike many of the....well never mind :p

6. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Fair enough, but this is in constant development, and i sometimes think ISI rush things out ie Builds
    to please some people.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Which for me is wrong because you'll never get a finished build until the very final build is completed. Get the basic core features completed then add extras that DON'T break the game a long the way...Again just like mmorpg games do it.

8. dsuspense

dsuspense Registered

Well, with this infamous 198 build they manage to break the auto update install (fixed fairly quickly though), and the shaders (fairly important, since we want the cars and environment to LOOK proper, and not all greyed out).
    Personal opinion here, it was a rush build, not tested properly, and should not have come out as yet.
    Now we the users (who payed FULL PRICE for a beta version of this game) are stuck with half baked stuff...

Totally agree with the subject, feature freeze, fix the issues build 198 introduced, and have a more controlled release cycle with feature complete releases from now on...

9. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Hey:), i'm happy to go with the flow,from what i understand that tim says, it could be awhile
    before the final build is complete, ie in constant development.

10. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Well, rain spray is only one part of an only partly implemented feature, weather, which is one of those features that set rF2 truly apart from all the other racing simulations on the market. Granted, there are some that implement rain effects but in a very basic way. rF2 is supposed to bring real interaction of the tire tread with the track and give us things like aquaplaning.
    So on the one hand you talk about half baked features, but want to keep a half baked one in this state?

Cheers,
    Marcus

11. Bart S

Bart S Member

I think it would suit everyone, possibly even be better for ISI's newcoming and old fanbase if what is there right now was cleaned up and made into a finished state and marketed.

The term ongoing development is very cloudy, it constantly changes month by month in a more negative way. It gives me the impression it could go on for years, longer than the impression many of us remember was given in not so many quotable words, that this would be a professional usable simulator for racing.

Then I think what ISI still have to do is complete the game engine side so modders can go hammer and chisel at building cars and circuits with confidence, knowing that a future feature will not break the game engine, cars or tracks currently released. This for us could = disaster and a long long wait for a finished game engine. I think the modders are going to have to accept they are constantly going to have to keep going back repairing their mods if we want to get any closer to a finished state.

rFactor2 is a real catch 22 it was announce before it should of been infact I'd say ISI have bitten off more than they can chew with rFactor2, its gonna remain hopes and dreams for a long time unless they staff up.

I think we all are willing to accept features of the future development can significantly change the current game engine and be more and harder work for ISI, but many people had the impression (so did I) the game would be in a clean and tidy form some time soon.

I believe what they should do is keep and finish the rain now and add droplet effects on visor and windshield to a finished and completed state and then freeze all further feature development until what they have now was presentable. And fix all the dam bugs we all complain about every month.

No offense intended ISI I do really love what you do but honestly I think your gonna kill rFactor2 before its second birthday. I hope this is more constructive criticism for you.

12. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

"Perhaps they need to add theses "so called" half backed features to be able to finalize things,
    have you ever looked at it like that!"
    you might be right but without any official annoucement from ISI, your statement is worth as much as mine...;)
    seriously... this can not go on forever... the majority of us bought this game in ... I even don't remember... something about 18 months ago or?

13. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Look mate :), all we can do is go with the flow, and try and enjoy what we have now.
    Demanding this and that isn't going to move things on any quicker.

And don't forget we are all in the same boat.

14. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

As I like rF2 in many ways, it's exactly what I'm afraid of too... there will only be a few ultra-hardcore sim racers left that are willing to accept all the current flaws. (sorry to mention it again... after +/- 18 months of beta...constant development..whatever)
    On the other side, there are some promissing titles around, Yes they have another approach, but still they are sims that have at least "the ambition" to be/become real simulators. If they will offer decent online gameplay and some content... it will generate communities... which will be difficult to get back to rF2...basic marketing principles... On the other side, you should never give this more consideration than to your product itself. but sometimes it's good to consider both...

15. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

"Demanding this and that isn't going to move things on any quicker." actually that's what I mean. > I'm not demanding anything else than what we have now... just a bit more polished... it's time to get a product out that is usable on a daily basis, even for non-league racers...

:cool: for the boat, I know.. that's why I posted this... in case it sinks...I have at least expressed my ideas;)

16. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

KK :)

I don't think the boat will sink though.

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I don't really think you understand the full picture, but appreciate the suggestion.

However, in the same post your asking us to do something, then not to do something. Spray is a part of an unfinished weather system, not a new feature entirely. Asking for both weather to be completed in the freeze and complete suggestion, then saying not to finish weather by adding spray? I don't get it.

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

18. can`t wait 4 rF2

can`t wait 4 rF2 Registered

Fully agree :)

19. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

hi,
    acually I'm asking the contrary. Remove, freeze all features that are not 100% really necessary (like spray, maybe even realroad) and get the basics done first! > at least we can start and use the game on a daily basis. For instance an online sysmte for non-league racers. It's practically impossible to find a server with the right cars/tracks/mods... if you have all, the server is empty.
    Sorry Tim, but I have this since the beginning of the beta. I'd prefer 1 car / 1 track(I know different developpers teams...still) and get the CORE-SYSTEM GOLD! > I'm actually serioulsy worried about the mods, which was always the strong point of rF1. There are only very few mod-cars out there. What is the reason?

20. Radar

Radar Registered

I agree Tim..

And agree with Marcus on this..

What makes it worse for ISI Cracheur, is that people have harped on to ISI about having the rain spray in the game (and other features) to only then complain when it's in (although ISI have stated it's not final ie the rain spray / weather)..

I know where you are coming from Cracheur, we all want a good solid rF2 game without bugs and half baked ideas, but you have to start from somewhere and customers (from ISI perspective) need to understand this, not request something then complain when it's added.

Besides all this.. IF rF2 was bug free, finished and perfect in everyones eyes now, as we speak.. What car and what tracks will you race on ? as it is, there is only a couple of hands full of mods out there, so in all honesty, rF2 is not really in such a bad state when you consider what we have available to play on :)