Peeeeuuuuu!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thingriz, Apr 22, 2012.

1. hushypushy

hushypushy Registered

Simply put...you are wrong :p

First of all, did you know that the first recorded written instance of this word, which was in the Oxford English Dictionary (obviously from the UK), spelled it alumium? So if you keep being stubborn about absolute originality, you should probably say it like that!

"The man who discovered it"---that would be Humphrey Davy. In his 1812 book, Elements of Chemical Philosophy, he originally spelled it--guess what--aluminum.

It was actually an ANONYMOUS contributor, in another paper, who changed the word to aluminium, citing a "less classical sound".

I know you provided plenty of examples, but they weren't good ones! What about platinum, molybdenum, and tantalum? Also, don't forget that alumina is the oxide of aluminum, like lanthana is the oxide of lanthanum, while magnesia, ceria, and thoria are the oxides of magnesium, cerium, and thorium respectively, so there is plenty of precedent for aluminum. Looking at the word roots, 'aluminium' just doesn't make sense. 'Aluminum' is correct.

As we say here in America, only half-joking, "The English: they invented this language and can't even speak it." ;)

2. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Another useless thread. Cant believe ISI is allowing this to continue.

3. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

This is a serious scientific and cultural discussion.

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Rightly so!

5. elbo

elbo Registered

It is not just me right...that canned chicken looks like the can is birthing a still born (or perhaps the brain of the OP).

Canada has the solution for the U's. Sometimes we use them, sometimes we don't. Depends if we are trying to pass ourselves off as british subjects or american wannabees.

6. hushypushy

hushypushy Registered

In Canadian dictionaries, they usually list both variants as being correct, being that they seem to straddle the American/European divide (my family is Canadian). So Canadians have a valid choice between cheque and check, color and colour, etc.

7. roc-craven

roc-craven Registered

I used them in school just to piss off the "English Teacher". Worked every time.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

thought you lot spoke French: Rfactouré 2

:p

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

French Canadian sounds like someone is speaking with marbles in their mouth. :p

10. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Yeah, I thought Canadians pronounced 'ou' as "oo". As in: "Whatchu talkin' aboot, Willis?" ;)

11. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

This is getting better and better!
    Accent tutorials, WOW!

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Seriously a 6850 powering a GTX580

ridiculous you lose so much overhead ..............plain silly.

13. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I can prove it, this thread has verified that I can spell "chicken-in-a-can" correctly! then there was also included in this thread a real life "meathead" similar to a hamburger, this also verifies that something is culturally wrong.

14. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

15. Bart S

Bart S Member

hahaha lol great video, btw what the hell is this thread? You all got too much time on your hands, go do some racing.

16. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

We are desperately trying to fill the hole that the OP created, but by now, I realize that I (and maybe others) have forgotten some of the words I (or we) intended to type in this here hole.

By the way, what made you use the word thread? ( a what?) I'm pretty sure this is a hole. There is a chance that the bottom of it has not been reached.

17. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

I appreciate the humour, humor, hugh more in this thread...

18. jv27

jv27 Registered

This game rules and will rule for years like the last one. You are correct but it is still fun to trash the troll/OP.

19. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

''
    Sir Humphry made a bit of a mess of naming this new element, at first spelling it alumium (this was in 1807) then changing it to aluminum, and finally settling on aluminium in 1812. His classically educated scientific colleagues preferred aluminium right from the start, because it had more of a classical ring, and chimed harmoniously with many other elements whose names ended in –ium, like potassium, sodium, and magnesium, all of which had been named by Davy.
    The spelling in –um continued in occasional use in Britain for a while, though that in –ium soon predominated. In the USA, the position was more complicated. Noah Webster’s Dictionary of 1828 has only aluminum, though the standard spelling among US chemists throughout most of the nineteenth century was aluminium; it was the preferred version in The Century Dictionary of 1889 and is the only spelling given in the Webster Unabridged Dictionary of 1913. Searches in an archive of American newspapers show a most interesting shift. Up to the 1890s, both spellings appear in rough parity, though with the –ium version slightly the more common, but after about 1895 that reverses quite substantially, with the decade starting in 1900 having the –um spelling about twice as common as the alternative; in the following decade the –ium spelling crashes to a few hundred compared to half a million examples of –um.

''

It's not about originality but what is the generally accepted spelling! When I deal with you folk in the US on a weekly basis regarding 'aluminum', 'airplane', 'manoever', all the '-izes' etc it gets on my nerves! If there was a reason for it, like if they had different meanings fair enough but if it's just a variation for sake of (because I can't think of a logical reason for changing one letter...), it's annoying!

All in jest of course ;)

20. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Alcoa Aluminum Foil Wrap - Alcoa company spells it aluminum and those certain people who wear hats to keep outer space people from reading their brain waves wear Aluminum Hats.