Path Deform Problems

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by JJStrack, Nov 18, 2012.

1. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

Hey everyone,
    i need some help!
    View attachment 4758
    As you can see in the picture above, i have got the Layout of an track (i.e. the Top-View of the Center Line) and the height Profile of the Center Line. And somehow, i am too dumb to combine them with the "path-deform" modifier.
    I try to deform the height-profile with the Layout as the path, but since my height-profile has some straight parts to it, where there are less vertices, those parts won't bend. See the results here:
    View attachment 4759
    So my question is: how to i make my "height-profile" spline bendable? Do i have to manually add hundreds of verzices? Or how can i make the "Path-deform" tool add vertices by itself?
    Any help would be highly appreciated!!

2. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

So i tried one thing now: i selected all segments and devided the hell out of them. This made the height-profile fit perfectly to the Layout. Then i normalized the resulting spline to 1,6m per Segment. Then i lofted the tracksurface on that.
    The result is a track surface with about 36,000 Polygons which are very even in their length. But that is not very efficient, isn't it!?
    i would want the polys on the straights to be longer and the polys in tight corners to be shorter.
    So is there a tool that lets me re distribute the vertices on my spline based on the bending of the spline? i.e. more vertices in tight bends, less on straights? Any ideas?

3. ethone

ethone Registered

Bilster Berg? ;)

Given your basic approach I would have suggested normalizing the spline as a first try as well.
    Second thought: Can't you add new vertices to the heightspline after adding the path deform? Couldn't you then add vertices where you needed them, i.e. corners? You could start by normalizin the height-spline to the poly length you want on straights (say 6m) and then add vertices for higher poly density.

Let me know if you visit the track, perhaps I can come with.

4. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

;) caught me red handed...
    They gave me quite a lot of useful plans of the track. So i thought i might give it a try...and i think it is a great track.
    I think i will do it like this: i will first give the spline quite a lot of Verts...say 1 per Meter. Then is make the Path deform. Then i will split the spline manually into more straight pieces and more curved pieces and normalize again manually to the desired length of the polys.
    I first had my hopes on this skript: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/normalize-spline It lets you give a treshhold to delete Vertexes based on curvature, but it somehow deosn't work very nice

EDIT: yeah i would love to actually visit the circuit...but i think i will wait with that, until i could take decent photos for texture work...they still haven't painted any lines and the grass and track will be full of leaves right now.
    But for the main modeling i collected many photos of the track over the last months...they keep appearing all over the internet :)