Optimization coming?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ccjcc81, Jan 26, 2013.

1. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

Optimization coming / the benifits of hyperthreading

Throughout the evolution of rF2, I’ve read many times that rF2 is not yet optimized to its full potential. I’ve understood this to mean that ultimately we can expect things to run more smoothly, more FPS than what we are currently getting. I have a decent system; 6870, 1100T six core, 8gb ram, and rF2 is running ok, but I’ve always looked forward to this “optimization” to get a little more out of my hardware. With all the talk lately of rF2 not being “beta” anymore, can we still expect some future optimization? I intend to purchase a 7970 soon, but I’ve been reading that rF2 doesn’t fully utilize that card either.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
  2. Alesi

Alesi Registered

8870 soon

3. coops

coops Banned

yep 1 more thing that needs doing b4 more content from ISI.

4. corsa

corsa Registered

You do realize the content people aren't programmers, and the people who optimize the code aren't artists? So they can do both at the same time. ;)

5. elbo

elbo Registered

It is probably on their 'bucket' list of things to do (hopefully it is not on that other list that rhymes with bucket).

6. Bill Paradise

Bill Paradise Registered

Just out of curiosity, how many cores does this game use?

7. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Optimization is highest on my wishlist.

8. vittorio

vittorio Registered

atm only two cores. theres alot potential for optimization since rf2 is very CPU intensive.

9. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

i ran off 2 cores and saw no difference than 4, HT off i7 @ 4ghz

10. Bill Paradise

Bill Paradise Registered

Kinda what I expected. I'm happy with i5-2500k overclocked at 4.6 ghz (water cooled).

11. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Sure hope for some significant optimazation. With current settings I get 40-50 fps with 17 cars (HDR on). I would like to have 60fps with HDR on. Now I get that most of the time without HDR.

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

People with Hyper-Threading enabled (if you don't know who you are, open task manager and check the performance task to see how many CPU history graphs you have displaying), turn H-T off! If you have a quad core cpu and you see 4 cpu history graphs in task manager then you don't have hyper-threading enabled. If you see 8 graphs, then you do have it enabled and the result on rf2 is that you are limiting the game to only 2 of 8 hyper-threaded cores. In terms of most games that use only 2 cores (like rf2 atm) that means you've limited the cpu utilisation to 2/8'ths (i.e. 1/4th) of the 4 physical cores giving rf2 effectively only 1 cpu core to work with. As you can imagine, you've just halved the potential and this can have a crippling effect on performance.

People who have turned off Hyer-Threading when had it enabled have noticed significant performance gains.

So make sure your not using Hyper-Threading if you've never checked before. Oh and lastly, i think H-T is only available on Intel CPU's.

This is not a direct answer/solution to the OP's point but a worthy point non the less to on-lookers who come to the forums in search for possible performance gains in the mean time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2013
  13. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

you know ever since I had an i7 (about 3, 4 years now) Ive had HT off the entire time. Almost all programs don't even know what to do with all these cores.

14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

So true. Only a handful i programs I use would benefit, mostly 3dsmax but only in the rendering phase which accounts for less than 1% of my total time on 3dsmax lol. Useless! :p

More beneficial to computers running around the clock programs that take full use of it, servers are perhaps the best example.

15. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

where do you turn ht off?

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

In the bios settings. It's different per motherboard, so if you search on google for your motherboard and mention hyper-threading bios location or something to that effect, I'm sure you'll find instructions or a picture of it's location. My own bios is a bit of a maze, with the HT hidden within layers of sub-selection menus, hence why i say you may want to check online. ;)

17. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Found it - thanks. I disabled it and did not get an increase - but it was worth a try.

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Oh right. Do you mind telling us which cpu you have and at what clock speed you have it running on? and also your graphics card please.

Just wondering if there's a possible sweet spot for clock speed vs cores.

19. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I've installed RF2 on a SSD HD, running under i7@5.0 GHZ, 580GTX overclocked x 2 (SLI), an excellent Mobo (Asus Maximus V Extreme) and 16 GB RAM (2133 Mhz).

All titles run in my computer as a breeze. I got 1000 FPS in certain RF1 tracks. RF2 is not acceptable yet... it's often "jumpy". So, the OP is right, optmization is a must in order to allow races with 30+ cars all maxed.

I'm suprised many persons happy saying they're running RF2 "OK" with 30 FPS and 10 cars on track - LOL. It sounds ridiculous to me.

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Santangoss, can you perform a test for me please? :)

Can you try the sim again but with only one of your awesome gpu's enabled and tell me what the performance is like in terms of fps and the smoothness (i.e. less/more "jumpy"). Then lastly, if you have time, to lower the settings so that the single card has roughly the same fps as your SLI and again test if it's as smooth as with SLI for yourself please.