onscreen map and mirrors question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craigjw, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Craigjw

Craigjw Registered

I'm new to rFactor 2, so please bear with me.

I started driving games using cockpit view, however with only 1 monitor, I can't see what's at the side of me and I only have 6 buttons on my G27, so I use them for important things, not look left/right. So, I switched to a swingman (3rd person) view, so that I have better visibility and I can view cars at the side, which makes overtaking much safer. The issue with swingman is that there is no rear view mirror. How can I add a virtual rear view mirror.

Secondly, how do I get an onscreen map display, so that I can have a cue to where I am on the map?

Thanks in advance.

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

In your PLR file, change the following line:
    Code:
    [ Graphic Options ]
    Allow Rearview In Swingman="1"
    There is no map option built into rF2, but I believe there are some plugins out there.

3. Craigjw

Craigjw Registered

Ta, I will try that.

4. Craigjw

Craigjw Registered

I quite like that plr file, a lot of options I can play with to make it sweet.

5. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

6. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

Try TIR (TrackIR) and you will be able to see alongside just by turning your head.

7. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

To me look left and look right are the most important, even with 3 monitors.

8. tjc

tjc Registered

Indeed, I`d also say they are pretty important but then I`m always in cockpit view... really don`t think i could drive with any other view but each to their own ofcourse. :)

9. Craigjw

Craigjw Registered

It's a difficult compromise. Of late, I have used look left/right on my wheel buttons, but I'd prefer not to and £119 for TrackIr, although is a great solution and very nice, is not an option for me right now.

I think the most important thing, is that we know what is around us, whether we use look left/right, 3rd person view or TrackIr. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. It's an expensive and space consuming setup to get the best solution.

10. lopsided

lopsided Registered

I personally can't handle the movement but just wondering if you were aware of FaceTrackNoIR? No money spent if you already have a webcam. I tried it out using the Eye from my now abandoned PS3. Didn't have the time to tweak but here's a thread to that effect.

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I was given a TrackIR 4 recently and I must say that driving with it is a totally new experience. I use triple screens and when I look to the apex I can now hit it more accurately and more closely. It took a little getting used to, but I don't think I will race without it from now on. Very nice stuff.

BTW, it was suggested that locking all axis of movement with the exception of horizontal rotation makes things a lot easier to deal with when driving. Might help some of the guys out.

12. lopsided

lopsided Registered

That was going to be my question... can you set it so it does not have up/down movement. I really only wanted slight side to side otherwise it's too much motion for me.
    Gearjammer, I thought I remembered a way you could save your settings in the software, any chance you'd share that file/package if possible? Make starting from scratch and tweaking a lot easier on those of us who are absolute novices when it comes to this stuff.:)

13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

When you open the software, you are on the screen to change the default stuff. On the lower left area you see 3 tabs, and in the profile tab you see where you can make changes. In the middle of the display for that tab you will see a series of tick marks that you can remove as needed and you will notice that there is a dropdown so you can adjust the axis you wish for sensitivity. I have yet to play with any other settings other than removing tick marks, hehe so my sending a setup file would be pretty much useless as you could do the same in less than 15 seconds.

The only tick mark you need to have is the yaw tick.

14. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Do you have to keep your head deathly still when using it? I am interested in giving it a try though. How intense is it on the cpu/gpu?

15. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

There is a curve that you can modify for head movement for each axis and you can put in a dead zone if you like. As for CPU/GPU usage, I don't notice anything with or without using it, so can't be much.

Here is an image showing the area I am talking about for adjustment. notice the way the curve drops down in the center. There are 3 spots in that dip that you can move where you want them to either increase or decrease your dead zone.

[​IMG]