Offline challenges with r2la

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nibo, May 10, 2015.

1. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I hate that...I just typed up a whole reply and it disappeared into the ether.

So the TLDR version.
    1. If you load two different "versions" of the same track, you cannot be guaranteed that the one the game uses is the one you chose. I loaded two different versions and even though I chose the second one, it always used the earlier version. I had to delete the earlier version for it to use the later one.
    2. The Track Name box in the challenge window looks like it's getting the name of the track from the game/log. It isn't. That box is informational; it just looks like it's detecting it from the log because there are detectable items in other areas of the challenge pane (e.g. brakes, start type, etc.).
    3. I will test the location of the LA again tonight to see if I can figure out why running the batch file from a desktop shortcut doesn't give the Submit button even though the LA sees the session info.

I wasn't going to post my time, but decided to make sure the Submit button worked as expected. Also, consider that time to be the "Mendoza line" of racing (in baseball, the Mendoza line is a poor .200 batting average). We can call it the BoothJoe line. If you can't beat the BoothJoe line, find another hobby.

2. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

When I got home, I ran another two sloppy sessions so I could check things out with the LogA. As long as I run the LogA batch file from the directory that includes the Python folder, I get the submit button. If I put a shortcut on the desktop, it will run and show results but there will be no submit button.

3. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Ok, I will investigate that.

Here is an explanation about track name:
    View attachment 18251

4. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

For new people, I think it needs to be more simple. Talking about XML files, etc., requires a little more in depth knowledge of how RF2 works than a new person has generally. "When you select the track, the name must match this EXACTLY."

I should add that I really like the offline challenge. It gives me a target to aim for and a yardstick against which I can measure my progress. I don't normally drive the Indy cars...I'm interested primarily in F1 and LMPs, but it's close (although the Indy cars seem much "stickier" than the F1s). It also is a reason for me to switch from an automatic tranny to manual. I didn't think I was ready to do that yet, but it has shown me that it actually improves driving the car. The only other aid I was using was ABS and that's only because you just don't get a good feel of brakes through the pedals (G27).

In the Indy car challenge, I'm losing about 30 second per lap over the only other person who has posted a time That's incredibly huge. He could have a spinout and pitstop every lap and still be ahead of me. I can't imagine what it would be like to run that fast.

5. Nibo

Nibo Registered

BoothJoe, I just tested creating shortcut for r2la.bat on the desktop and it shows "Submit" button for me if I run from it. So it must be something specific to the way you creating a shortcut or something else. Which windows version are you using? How do you create a shortcut? I did it by right clicking on r2la.bat and selecting Send To -> Desktop (create shortcut) (Win7).

Just for info. If you used ABS in the race, then report from it will not be selected for submission (no Submit button). It will not pass Aids filter, since only one allowed is Auto Clutch.

That time would be mine. I think, if you are relatively new (after some pause) to racing with rF2, that can happen. Some time must past for you to get accustomed to general wheel-pedals-car_setup configuration and develop a way most comfortable for you.

I might allow ABS (TC maybe) for next challenges with open wheelers if you think it will help not so experienced racers.

6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Because of what? Not experienced driver would never learn to drive rf2 with this aids allowed? The only way is practice, practice and again...practice :p

7. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I think it's fine to do races and challenges with aids and run ones without aids. If people think it's "tainted" to run with aids, they don't have to participate. I would suspect that new people who might be running aids aren't necessarily good enough to be fiddling with the setups on their cars either. Or they're not good enough to see any real difference. When I was playing F1 2013 before getting RF2, I was running scores of practice laps, adjusting wings and crap like that and gradually getting a touch faster (but not much). Then one time I forgot to load the "beefed up" car and ran it with the stock setup. I was faster with the stock setup than I was with my last "improved" setup. I'm at the level where setups don't make a difference. As a final thought on this, if someone new looks at a challenge and someone has posted a time to him/her that's impossible to reach, he/she is just going to feel there's no way to be competitive before the challenge expires. They might even feel embarrassed to post a "bad" time.

Now, a final note on the shortcut thing. I run Windows 10. I typically will create a shortcut in the folder where the target exists and then move it to the desktop. Interestingly, I created a symbolic link on the desktop to the actual program and that works just fine. But the shortcut will not give me a Submit button.

8. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Added ISI Stock Car 2015 at ISI Malaysian Full Loop for next 2 weeks.

9. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Challenges for next 4 weeks:

7 laps - SaoPaulo GP - Camaro GT3 2013 (select 2013 model in upgrades, you can use TC and ABS, because this cars use them in real life)
    10 laps - Mills Inner Loop C - D4 Trackday Multiplayer
    10 laps - Mills Inner Loop A - Clio Cup 2010

All cars and tracks are latest versions from ISI & 3PA.

10. arligan

arligan Registered

I love this, great idea. Are there any weekly challenges or do you just make 4 week challenges?

By the way, does "Hotlaps" section belongs to you too Nibo? Can there be more now with series and stuff?

11. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Since there is not many times submitted to challenges lately, they will be long, 3-4 weeks.

I will make Hotlaps for every CPM updated ISI and in some cases non-ISI cars. Clio and Camaro Hotlaps will be added in next version. But I think list of tracks will remain limited to 7-9 like it is now. I can not put every track there, because it will be too big amount of data to transfer on "sync".

12. RaceDoedel

RaceDoedel Registered

Great stuff, I tried the r2la this weekend. Its a lot of fun to do this offline challenges. My submit times are bad, but I will again.

May be it would be easier if we have RaceEvents for this challenges with all needed settings. I am not sure if this is possible:cool:
    I will check this and try to create a race event for this offline challenges.

I really like this, because this is a reason to try something new. I never tried before the D4 and I love it.
    Great combo D4 at Mills Inner loop C.

Thx for this tool !

13. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Challenges for next month:

6 laps - Sebring Virtua_LM - AMGT3. You can select any AM GT3 car.
    8 laps - AtlantaMP - Clio Cup 2010
    9 laps - 1966 Brianza - AC 427 Comp. Make sure "Competition" tires are selected in upgrades.

14. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Next 4 weeks, starting tomorrow. All ISI content, except Flat6.
    8 laps - Silverstone GT Layout - FISI 2012
    10 laps - Palm Springs Road Course B - StockCar
    8 laps - Silverstone GT Layout - Flat6

15. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Next 4 weeks:
    5 laps - Bathurst - Flat6
    8 laps - Mills Inner Loop B - Clio Cup

16. argo0

argo0 Registered

Thanks Nibo, still enjoying these when I get a chance.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

17. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Added new Megane challenge:
    10 laps - Malaysian South Loop - ISI Megane 2013

18. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Next challenges:
    9 laps - AC 427 Competition - 1966 Brianza (reactivated older challenge)
    9 laps - Palatov D4 Trackday Multiplayer - PIXIM Nogaro

19. Wozza_UK

Wozza_UK Registered

Just posted a time in the Cobra @ Monza challenge. :cool:

Nibo, is it possible in the future you would set up a challenge for the Howston G4?

20. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Added latest ISI content challenge 10 laps - Dissenter 1974 - Toban Short.

Wozza_UK, yes, from april 4. What track do you prefer? I think one of historics: Monza, Spa, Longford.