Offline challenges with r2la

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nibo, May 10, 2015.

1. Nibo

Nibo Registered

I post here, because this is a new feature, and I want more people to see it. If this is not ok, moderator can move this topic to "rFactor 2 Leagues" section.

*** New ***
    Since r2la 2.029 you can also share your lap records through r2la Hotlaps section.

Short description
    I invite everyone interested to participate in (weekly) Offline Challenges. Download latest version of rFactor2 Log Analyzer ver. 2.x and submit you results through it. No registration needed and its very simple.

[​IMG]

What
    You run offline races with or without AI according to Challenge conditions (car, track, laps, aids) and submit your result. Then compare your results with other people, who submitted their times.

Why
    Because not everyone can race online (busy schedule, no league matching your timezone, etc). But even if you race online, Offline Challenges might be another competition for you.

How (this is very detailed explanation)
    Download latest version of rFactor2 Log Analyzer ver. 2.x. There are instructions how to start it on that page.
    1. Start rFactor2 Log Analyzer, open address http://127.0.0.1:8000/ in your favorite browser (IE not supported), enter your rF2 dir when asked, if you start for the first time.
    2. Go to "Offline Challenges" page, look what challenges are "In progress".
    3. Choose one challenge, make sure you remembered conditions this Challenge requires (to help you know which setting you need to change in-game, there are red and green dots near important in-game settings that need to match).
    4. You can close rFactor2 Log Analyzer or you can leave it running, does not matter.
    5. Run rFactor2, setup an offline race according to Challenge conditions (track, car, laps, fuel x, tires x, damage mult, aids).
    • You can run races with or without AI as you prefer, but with AI you might be slower.
    • You can run at any in-game time and weather you like. Of course, there is no sense to run with rain. At least until ISI adds weather report to .xml files and then I could force rain challenges.
    • Do not forget to set up your favorite real road setting for race session.
    6. Run a race.
    7. Exit rF2. Start rFactor2 Log Analyzer, press "Refresh" to import your last log file(s) and press "Submit" button on a corresponding Challenge panel to submit your time.
    8. You can re-run races many times and upload your better result during whole time Challenge is in progress if you wish.

Who creates challenges
    I do. The idea is to have new challenges every week. But we can have challenges for as long as we like: weekly, monthly etc. Its better to keep number of simultaneously running challenges low. I think up to 3 is good, may be 5 if more people will participate.
    Regarding cars, right now I think its best to use new cars that have new tire CPM.
    If idea catches on I will listen for what cars and tracks should be used for next challenges.

Questions, ideas are welcome.

How this looks:
    View attachment 16646 View attachment 16645 View attachment 16647 View attachment 16648

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015
  2. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Great! Many thanks for your efforts...

3. matf1

matf1 Registered

Challenge accepted :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

*I've just completed one and wow mate, the workflow and ease of use are fantastic. Very simple, looks great and does what it says on the tin.

Bravo!

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  4. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Log Analyzer is already my favorite rF2 application and, in every sense, my front end for rF2. I use it to set goals, evaluate performance, and identify improvement opportunities. All in one app. The addition of offline championships is a naturally-aligned and elegantly implemented extension. Well done.

5. whitmore

whitmore Registered

PSR would you share your process for identifying improvement oportuities ?

6. bwana

bwana Registered

fantastic job, as a rotating shift worker this suits me perfectly. many thanks

7. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I'm currently working on a video for this. Will post it here when done...

8. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Here is blog entry that I will be using as basis for video --> Link

9. whitmore

whitmore Registered

A very good read PSR. Nicely captured with sound logic. Video will be a treat.Thanks for sharing

10. Nibo

Nibo Registered

For the next week I think I`ll create two challenges: "AC 427 @ Historic Monaco" dedicated to upcoming F1 Monaco GP :) and "Palatov D4 Trackday @ ... ". Need good track for Palatov. May be Silver National/International or Palm Beach.

11. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Mid_Ohio? Even LRP is a nice Location for the D4`s...

12. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Any of the above sound good. Mid-OH is always popular. Loch Drummond is another option. Or Mills. Or Sebring Club or Hockenheim Short 1 (both with recent AIW improvements).

13. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Not sure if you have considered already but you could do rally also but would have to count second lap time only.

14. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Not sure what you mean exactly. What rally would be and why second lap? :) Right now I do not really want to change/add something for several weeks. To see how popular challenges will be. Then possibly tweak if needed.

15. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

No worries, Nibo, but to explain... Modders have to trick rF2 in order to be able to get a point to point time so the way they create the track you time is counted as lap number two with the time for lap number one being very short and only needed to create a "fake loop", in a sense...

16. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

It`s fine as it is, at the moment. Thanks again, Nibo!

17. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Now I understand. I think its possible in the future if ISI will add proper rally physics and it will be popular. Right now I will focus on road racing with rF2. Dirt Rally is good for rally.

18. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Agree 100%

19. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Created new challenges that will start tomorrow and last for next week (17 May - 24 May).
    1. 25km (7 laps) - Palatov D4 - Mid-Ohio With Chicane. You must choose D4 "Track day Multiplayer Class", its more interesting with higher tire wear.
    2. 5 laps - AC 427 Comp - Monaco`66.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  20. argo0

argo0 Registered

Thanks Nibo. I really enjoyed last week's challenges. I was the '~IsR~Jason(SR4L)' entry. Actually, doing the challenges improved my Cobra technique. It's a fun little sideline to rf2, like the Gran Turismo medals or the driving schools in GTR2 and RBR. I like the way it's presented and the way it tells you if a race setting needs changing. I'd like the whole shebang integrated into rf2. Hope everyone realises how user friendly it is.
    Thanks again.