Odd AIW problem (conversion)

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Jorgen, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

One of the tracks I'm converting from rF1 refuses to acknowledge that I enter the pits. At first the game stated that I had exited the pits as soon as I hit the "Race" button (the pit crew guy disappeared instantly), so I brought the track into the rF1 AIW editor and recalculated the corridors. Once that was done, I now see the pit crew guy while leaving the garage, but the game still doesn't recognize the pit entry even though I pass through the XPITIN collision object. Is there some kind of incompatibility with rFactor1 AIW files, or what can otherwise be the issue here?

The track works fine in rFactor1, both before and after recomputing the corridors by the way.

For further information, this is a modern version of Monaco where there is a very tight space between the swimming pool exit area, the pits and the start/finish straight, so is there a chance that some kind of detection calculation is done incorrectly?

2. ethone

ethone Registered

I don't think there's any connection to the AIW, the detection of entering/exiting the pits is with the xpitin/xpitout collision planes.
    Are they oriented correctly (so that you pass through the "solid" part of the poly, not the "backside")?

3. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

I think so, yes. The same object works fine in rFactor1 and I haven't had any rF1 -> rF2 conversion issues with those objects so far. Just for fun I might try flipping it and see if that works better.

The weird thing is the first issue I had though. That must have been AIW related since it vanished after I recalculated the corridors. Or is there any other reasonable explanation? I still have a vague feeling that the two issues are related, but we'll see. I haven't solved the pit entry yet...

4. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

Hi Jorgen,

normaly the first (sometimes second and third also) pitlane AIW point has a branch from Track AIW to Pit AIW.
    The Track AIW branches "to" Pit AIW.
    The first Pit AIW branches "from" track AIW.
    you can find the entries with notepad.
    Similar with Pit-Out.

If you have trouble to identify the first pit AIW, i could give more hints.
    I use the Timing Plane xpitin at speed trap Point. (Wich is normally not the 1th pit AIW)
    Good luck.

Leonardo.

5. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Problem solved, thanks to all who helped. ethone was correct, it turned out to be a flipped xpitin object.
    And thanks Leonardo, I now know a little more about what is in the AIW file. :)

6. Essemo

Essemo Registered

Perhaps I can jump in here too?

I also have an apparent AIW problem with a converted track. I can run a race with AI perfectly, in that they run the fast lines and enter and exit the pits with no problems, but if I run a qualifying session before the race their lap times are not recorded even though the laps themselves appear to be counted correctly. I wondered if it might have something to do with the garages but the AI do seem to leave their garages, follow the pit lane onto the track, do their laps and return to the pits and garages wihthout problems so it is a mystery to me. I'd appreciate any advice any of you might have on this. Thanks.

7. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

When you drive offline on this track, do you get correct sector times and lap times recorded? Also, if you add some AI drivers, do they get sector and lap times recorded? Finally, what is your "qualifying laps" player file parameter set to?

8. ethone

ethone Registered

Could it be that the AI gets disqualified which would invalidate their laps? Do you use any VisGroups setting on the x-files?

9. Essemo

Essemo Registered

No VisGroups setting on the x-objects but I tried it with and without them and it makes no difference. The AI has their sectors and lap times recorded in a race but not in qualifying, even though the laps themselves are still being counted. I'm not getting any disqualification messages anywhere and I can't see any cut track issues anywhere.

I noticed now too that it is the same problem in practice mode. It's almost as if each AI lap is being treated as an out lap from the pits but I just can't figure out why that would continue to happen after the first lap and don't know why it's only a problem for the AI, as I can drive in the same session and have my lap times recorded. I also checked the player file setttings but can't see anything there that would affect it when it works fine for every other track.

10. ethone

ethone Registered

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but let's go with what I think you said you did. ;)
    You took out the x-files and the behaviour stayed the same, correct? If that's the case, something is wrong with your folder/file structure as the x-files are a) necessary for the track to even load and b) necessary for registering laps. If there weren't any, the track wouldn't load and even if it theoretically were able to load, it couldn't possibly register laps or sectors.
    If you're seeing laps (be it your own or AI ones) registered after removing the x-files, your track must have some other place to take them from.
    Also, ALL x-files MUST go into the layout subfolders. So for Topeka for example, a FULL set of x-files (xfinish, xpitin, xpitout, xsector1, xsector2) each goes into HeartlandParkTopeka\HeartlandParkTopeka_Club, HeartlandParkTopeka\HeartlandParkTopeka_Drag, HeartlandParkTopeka\HeartlandParkTopeka_Full, HeartlandParkTopeka\HeartlandParkTopeka_Intermediate and HeartlandParkTopeka\HeartlandParkTopeka_Short. If you were only to copy the x-files that are layout-specific (e.g. not copying the xfinish file because it's the same in all layouts), the track would load but not load the "missing" x-file, or at least that's what I experienced with Topeka some months ago.

Another shot in the dark: Does your track have a "special" layout? Are the pits between sectors 1 and 2, instead of between 2 and 1 (so crossing xfinish)? I believe rF2 expects crossing xpitout to be followed by crossing xsector1 for timing to work properly, unless you tell it differently. That should fix itself after the first lap though as xsector1 will be passed for the first time then.

And since you now observed the same AI behaviour in all sessions - is xpitout oriented correctly? If it isn't, timing might still work for the player as I noticed rF2 "automatically exits" pit mode at the point along the AIW where the pit path joins the main path, and I am uncertain if that same thing happens for the AI or if they stay in pit mode even after exiting it.

11. Essemo

Essemo Registered

Thanks ethone for your long response. Sorry if I haven't been clear in what I was saying.

My comment about the x-objects was just in relation to the VisGroups setting, not the objects themselves. I tried with and without the VisGroups setting and it made no difference. I did not try to run the track without the x-objects as I understand this is not possible.

My track has only one layout and the pits are in the normal location. I did think about the special layout question but I don't think it applies here.

Your last comment about the positioning of the xpitout might be the next thing for me to try. I'll report back when I've had a chance to check it out. Thanks again.

12. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Just out of curiosity, what track is it? Maybe you could try loading the original track in the rFactor1 AIW editor and see if it looks ok there? (Because I take it the original track works with AI in qualifying sessions too?) I had to do that with my track since I got a penalty for exiting the pits while the red light was on. Recalculating the corridors and a re-save fixed that problem.

13. Essemo

Essemo Registered

Hi Jorgen, sorry I haven't responded to your question for such a long time. My wife has has just given birth to a baby girl last week so not much time for me to sit on the computer at the moment!

The track I have been converting is Dallas Fair Park, which I converted from GTL to rFactor some time ago (I think the track was made for F1C originally). The AI practice and quailifying was working fine in rFactor, the problem just seems to be unique to rFactor 2. I took a closer look at the x-objects and made some adjustments but it made no difference. When I get a chance, I might just have to completely redo the AIW file and see if that helps. I still have the feeling that it might be something to do with the garage positions but until I redo everything I won't know for sure.