Oculus Rift random stutter

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by arglaaa, Aug 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. arglaaa

arglaaa Registered

Just got my shiny new Rift CV1, and everything works as expected (Demos work fine, AC and Elite work fine) but Rfactor2 is acting up. As soon as the launcher is started(!), Graphics updates get interrupted randomly (no mouse movement, image freezes on monitor and on the rift. Between the freezes (which can last up to about 4 seconds!) I get solid frame rates. Its possible to launch the game, but the freezes keep happening in the menus and in the car.

Needless to say, this is unplayable. I have been unable to pin this down to anything, I fiddled with the quality settings and resolutions, but nothing really helps.

Is there anything I can debug to track this down? Works for everyone else?

Thanks for any ideas

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Are you running with ASW On at all? Whether that be Auto or Locked to 45fps? Conversely I've recently run into troubles with Elite where I'd get massive stutters and the cure was to turn ASW Off, so you could try that for RF2 or try a different ASW setting.

Do the usual - verify RF2 in steam, verify SteamVR as well just in case, make sure all 3rd party plug-ins are disabled, try running in HMD Only and then HMD + Mirror, run the game with HMD Off to make sure it's definitely an HMD issue.

3. arglaaa

arglaaa Registered

Thanks, I did all that and after the nth power cycle of the system, it all magically started to work. Had 2 glitches over ten laps or so, but thats on par with driving without VR. Very cool! Definitely a new dimension of immersion!

MarcG and Jego like this.