Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

There are work-arounds, someone said they can be found on Reddit.

2. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

Mine just shipped. I guess there is not much to do for rFactor until Tridef updates their stuff though, which might take a while. iRacing is probably gonna take a while as well as it does need a full recompile to use the new SDK and they have a set update schedule. My guess is that Live For Speed will be the first to get something out there that works.

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'll have to buy live for speed then whilst I wait doh !

4. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

They do have a free demo! But it's totally worth the price for extra content, great game.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

so far very impressed with the dk2 -I'll be keeping this one,
    (I sold my dk1 after a few days & went without due to resolution being to low)

the resolution is good enough (only just) , the tracking seems flawless & with the positional is a superb experience

just a matter of waiting for compatibility now with the few software titles I use

6. gkz

gkz Registered

Maybe i don t found it so it will be a double post but simple question to isi.... DK 2 support yes or no ?

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

gkz

I think ISI will support when VR's become more mainstream ( I think ISI have ordered units etc ) with the option in the UI etc

in the meantime we have to rely on a plugin which should be available soon ( hopefully not to long :D )

8. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Yay mine switched to processing this morning.

A fun thing I've found to do is start an A.I race at monza 10k or monaco and go sit somewhere off the track and just spectate the race (also stand up like you would be in real life) It's really awesome and the closest any of us will get to experiencing what it must have been like back then.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

agreed, these things are perfection for sim racing ( IMO )

+the same for real world races ( 360 3d cameras ) mounted around real circuits in spectator areas

VR users switching between them and moving their heads and viewing the race & maybe following their favourite driver around the circuit, would be better than being there

when decent & credible horror titles become available people are going to start having heart attacks with these things

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I don't think that is possible with head tracking freedom to look around (unless you want your head tracking orientation to rotate a single physical 3d camera, then it's possible but at only one person can control it).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
  11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/360-degree-camera-shoots-vr-movies-for-oculus-rift/

theres a lot of clever software paired with these new types of camera

lots going on in Tech at the moment

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Oh yeah, that's not a problem, we've had that type of technology for a while now and making it work on an oculus rift is very simple (just involves getting the head tracking to correlate with rotation).

But it's not a 360 3d camera and i don't think it ever can be. For a full 360 3d camera binocular vision reproduction to work, requires two spaced apart viewpoints that can rotate whilst maintained spaced apart and directionally parallel. It can only work with 2 cameras that can have it's rotation controlled by your head movement tracked by the rift. There's a lot of input lag on such a system, mainly from the motors trying to respond as quickly as your fasted head motions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

yes but I think they've soved that through software and using the multi cameras around the dome, very clever

the only thing they really have to crack is latency

body movement a problem of course but a fixed neck (but free head movement) isn't a big deal

14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

No, i really don't think this is physically possible (even via software post-processing) and i've not seen anywhere that they've achieved this or stated that they're aiming for 3d.

Each of those camera's represent a fixed point of view and in order to get a smooth continuous transition of 3d perspective moving from looking in one direction to another requires all the possible 3d perspectives inbetween each of the fixed camera perspectives. In 2d this is not a problem ofc since it's a simple case of stitching the boundaries of each camera view together since the image in flat.

I'd be mighty impressed if they created a way to interpolate a perspective in the real world based on two boundary perspectives for which the perspectives are known (e.g. two cameras perspectives).

15. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Indeed it isn't 3d (there's a series of lapdances filmed on this/something similar) while it does feel very "real" its not 3d. However I have no doubt that in the future we'll have proper 3d livestreams of events, never underestimate what clever humans can do ;)

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

3d livestreams, yes (we already do have it with 3d tv channels, lol, but I know what you mean, rift 3d so what you see is 1:1 like your actually there). But 3d livestream with head tracking...I think it's not possible without giving each viewer a set of independent 3d cameras that they can control the looking direction and angle of with their rift head tracking. Even if that were feasible/practical, there'd be a lot of noticeable input lag due to the motors.

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

18. Adrian

Adrian Registered

I do, however its more likely to come from something like (using Motorsport for example) a continuation of the RealTimeRacing iOpener technology, where everything that's happening to the car is being streamed into a client which then renders it for the rift and the viewer watches the race from inside a 'game-like' environment.

19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I'd be damned?!?!?! Will have to do more reading as I can't find anywhere saying they've managed to achieve the 3d aspect yet but it's their aim, meaning they must obviously think its possible.

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

lots of potential, my concern with latency though -a Hugh amount of data would perhaps need to be buffered
    so the stream would be a few seconds (or more) behind the actual live event (live events are few seconds behind actual anyhow), there would be a lot of bandwidth required
    (assuming multi angle HD 3d stream) the system would have to be ready to seamlessly deliver the view you'd see as you were moving your head as if you were actually sitting there live at the actual event

there's a lot of stuff going on -software stitching multi views so correct 3d images are views
    lots of processing hey

maybe with the broadband speeds we have access too now & a fast compression system present tech is enough but hopefully sooner rather than later we'll see (inside 5 years would be nice )

p.s the dk2 is fairly impressive but it's a temp measure untill CV1, I'm guessing the consumer 1 will leave little to be desired & with us around 1 year from now

facebooks mountain of floatation cash should help a lot :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.