Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

I honestly think you should try a DK2 first, and see the possibilities of the tech on a vastly improved CV1 and future CV's that will be even better. If you focus on DK2 itself you might get dissapointed, if you imagine CV3 in 5-6 years with a 8k display you will see the future of racing simulation, and every mean of entertainment.

All your opinions are basically based in nothing, because unless you have a good imagination and picture how virtual reality would look like, no one can explain it to you until you try it. What I can tell you, is by the time CV1 comes out, and we feel presence (feeling below the conscious level that you've been teleported someplace else) in racing games, you are going to get ****ing scared when you are about to crash into a wall at 300km/h. You will know nothing will happen to you, but your brain will think otherwise and you can't control that

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Spinelli

hiya , re.nvidia 3d vision , I could be wrong about duplicate/progressional frame ( & would very much like to be ), I researched this a couple of years ago & again around the 6 series was released, it was also confirmed by a tech guy at Iracing who seemed very informed (david tucker)

again though if you find new info that states different then be good for you to let us know

EDIT : this is the reason lag is increased in 3d mode, although I found running with out vysnc and settings to achieve high fps ( fps 90+ ) reduced lag to unnoticeable levels

( vsync not forced on nvidia 6 series and higher )

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  3. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Not sure how I missed this.

It's got the same fluidity as 2D if you view the scene with your glasses off.

Put the glasses on though, and it doesn't. It's got the same fluidity as normal 60fps. And the same 16ms of lag.

I thought this was maybe in my head (since there seemed to be quite a bit of debate among gamers regarding smoothness). But then I saw these tweats by John Carmack a while ago:

John Carmack @ID_AA_Carmack · Jun 19

Hoped extrapolating thumb stick yaw between sequential left / right eye would feel 2x smoother, but it doesn't help.

John Carmack @ID_AA_Carmack · Jun 19

Similar to failure of spreading a 60hz console game across two eyes on 3D TV -- brain doesn't seem to integrate "smoothness" across eyes.

I mean, the LCD smearing effects are cut down (although you're gaining ghosting as a side effect), but the fluidity of the frames is that of 60fps. Because that's all it's really updating. It take two frame updates to create 1 frame (that your brain resolves).

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

just did an online race (as a ghost car in the spec racer ford around donnington) in Iracing even though no head tracking & the dk2 is currently receiving a dk1 feed I was pretty quick, the latency feels as if it's ZERO with a superb direct feeling, for me this is going to be the perfect visual system.

my fps was through the roof ( 400fps+ although I know this will reduce a tad with tracking & higher res )

can only imagine how good race sims are going to be once they support the dk2

I'm boxing up x2 of my monitors ( 27" 3d vision) and putting them on ebay, they take up to much space & I hope to use the dk2 for everything just a matter of awaiting support

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  5. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

6. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Will you get tridef once they support the dk2? In my opinion rf2 looks better than I racing in the rift.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

7. gkz

gkz Registered

just tried LFS with DK2 and it's just....
    MINDBLOWING! :) :) :)
    The work they have done in such short notice is really impressive

Menus work perfectly,headtracking is perfect. Man, don't know what to write other then you have to experience it yourself. It's really like sitting in a car. The ability to look inside a corner, using the cars mirrors and what not... wow.
    The immersion is so impressive I even didn't care about the physics ;P

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

yes just tried it,I'm blown away too, I had high hopes but I didn't realise it would be this good
    res a tad low but high enough to use, and far far better than any static screen setup

not going back now

p.s make sure you don't use vsync and uncap the fps

9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I just received a mail confirming my DK2 is ready for shipment. Reading last two posts, just can't wait. :)

10. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Almost the same reaction this guy had.

:)

11. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

Buying LFS when I get home, if ISI haven't got their **** together yet, they sure better be now!

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

[​IMG]

whilst playing this in the background:

:D

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I downloaded the demo for LFS it still fully works with the dk2

uncapped fps (defaulted to cap at 100),
    turned down a few graphical settings (for a high fps )
    set predictive rift track to x2
    x16 AF
    low AA
    set up lfs in nvidia control panel (render frames x1 etc)

was getting fps 200+

flawless tracking, totally useable resolution -actually better than I though it would be I can read stuff & see corners fine

I think a decent PC is needed for seemless tracking/non tearing etc, be prepared to reduce graphical settings & try to achieve 175+ fps
    for a seamless experience

the immersion is out of this world

going to setup a motion profile for LFS tonight (use a motion platform)

I'm 100% happy with the dk2 as a stepping stone to the cv1 (the wait will not be painful now I'm happy to feel)
    those oculus guys seriously know what their doing, it seemed like ZERO input lag

used the formula open top car with driver & arms visable (switched to on in options)

forget triple screens, at last we have the same view as real world drivers

ps : i7 @ 4.8ghz & gtx Titan @ 1130hz all watercooled

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I think that the easiest solution for this would be to implement a camera to the rift. The image could be integrated in one of the corners of the main view (like in skype) and activated by pressing any button and deactivated when not needed. All the smartphones have two of these so it wouldn't require any hardware or software big development effort.

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Give you brain the benefit of a doubt. :)

16. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Why not just figure out how to graphically superimpose your driving hardware and arms/hands into the main view?

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

all my buttons are on my wheel, I'm very use to using them without even looking pretty much like in a real car,

I think most will get use to not having to look once VR really becomes mainstream

right ....off to setup a motion profile for live for speed

18. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

19. gkz

gkz Registered

A full statement by ISI about DK2 support would be really appreciated now. If this would work like in LFS, I'd keep my DK2 for sure and drive with it full time.
    rF2 physics + virtual reality = sim heaven

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I read about the screen door effect where you can see pixel lines. How is dealing with that? How is the 960x1080 resolution for each eye?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.