nVidia 296.10 drivers now available...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D1Racer, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Tony

Tony Registered

umm.. on topic -what I would like to know from peeps here is who's finding the latest drivers just dandy? - as it would seem the default is to have a problem with them, especially the timeout-driver-recovered thing ..oh yea, & the pink screen of death, oh yea.. & the freeze-to-blackout when watching Youtube full-screen, lol

But when they're working well they'd appear to give substantially more fps & be pretty squeaky :)

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

New Nvidia beta is magic this way.

I can run HDR FXAA looks alot better had 45fps off start now 52fps solid 60fps from Eau Rouge as smooth as you like will do me.

Have Video Sync set as my card developed whistle in menu never heard it with other drivers

Could not even be bothered checking fps without sync it is so good. :)

View attachment 1931

3. Tony

Tony Registered

Wow.. beautiful screenshot Durge (I can usually hear a faint whistle while in the menus of both rF1 & rF2..)

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I don't know why or what it is but seems to go out of focus really nice in distance now.

I still think the HDR is a bit murky but it looks better then without for me now.

ANother thing now it looks like I do 100mph standing still, ie: everything flashes past unreal.

I cant believe how different it is one driver must be the FXAA I suppose.

If so why doesn't my pCARS look like this, I still have to drive it in overcast weather because of the brightys :(

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I don't know what's wrong with your HW causing problems watching sunny day in pCARS. Maybe turning brightnes of your monitor down would be solution?

On screenshot taken from rf2 (a few posts above), there is no sun toward and reflections are very week. That's why scene is balanced. And you "think" it is better. But believe me, it is not how it should look with clear summer sun shining against your eyes blinding you.

6. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

i have an Nvidia GT430m and i just updated the driver, it did give me a little bump in FPS, maybe 10fps

View attachment 1933 View attachment 1933

hopefully i have attached the specs there, im a bit out of my depth when explaining it.

its a 1gb, 700MHz clock. i'm on a i3 CPU with 3gb RAM.

rFactor 1 can be run full spec, no probs.

should i be expecting great things from this card on rFactor 2 or am i going to have to upgrade in order to run the top specs? i can get 60-80fps if i overclock it a little, but still not using any AA, HDR etc. and not all the settings at high.

everything on FULL and all the AA, FXAA, HDR business on kills it to about 20-30.

sorry for the noob question (although i have had rF1 for 4 years now) but with no one else to compare to i cant tell if its just Beta issues or if its an early sign that i need more GPU power.

any guidance would be great.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I said I drive pCARS in overcast ( not rF2 ) to cut down out the bright edges on alloy parts.... try it, it works. ;)

As for the sun ...toward what ?

Where is the sun ? Which way are the shadows going ? ( look at pitwall for a idea )

So the sun is above to the right, you not going to see glare from that let alone blind you.

As I said in another thread I am not a fan of sunlight effects at the best of times anyways.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
  8. Tony

Tony Registered

Rob - the cheapest way (& I'd do this anyway) is get 8gb ddr3 dual channel ram (I'm fairly sure your motherboard supports dual channel as it has the i3 cpu on it, but check that first)

Re. GPU - yes you'd notice a big difference if you shelled out a few notes & got something newer: ATI 6950 or GTX 560/570 would do the job

9. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

Thanks tony.

I've just started overclocking and it's not bad but will clearly not be a long term solution.

8gb RAM would push me to 3+8= 11gb, can win7 see all that memory?!

10. Tony

Tony Registered

Just use your new, matched 8gb (probably 2x4gb sticks) Rob, as memory is comparatively cheap at the moment I'd write the 3gb off!

11. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

Cool. Vengeance ddr3 8gb looks pretty good?

Would extra ram give me something noticeable at this stage? Or would I need the higher end gpu and i5/i7 whistles to go with those ram bells?!!

Cheers

12. Tony

Tony Registered

If you right click on your Taskbar & click: "Start the Task Manager" then click on the "Performance" tab you'll see the graphs crawling across their windows - it'll show you how much cpu & memory rF2 is using real-time. Leave that running on your desktop, then start rF2 & do a couple of laps with, say, 15 or 16 AI on track as well; then alt/tab out of rF2 (or just come out of it normally) & look at the still running graphs in the Task Manager & you'll see how many resources you've just used of your total memory.. with 3gb ram you'll be very near the top, 4gb will actually do - for now..

The high end gpu's will show more features of the sim & give you a fps boost..

I think for now your cpu is ok @ 3ghz

hope that helps!

13. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

Excellent Tony.

I'll be taking you shopping when the full build is released!!!!

14. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

New BETA drivers 301.24 are out. Seems to be more of an improvement to me. I get solid 60FPS with everything maxed/on except shadows low and AA level 4. I could not do this with the last drivers.

15. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

These are for laptop cards?

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

ION notebook GPUs.
    GeForce 8M, 9M, 100M, 200M, 300M, 400M, and 500M-series notebook GPUs.
    Quadro 5010M, 5000M, 4000M 3000M, 2000M and 1000M notebook GPUs.
    Quadro NVS-series notebook GPUs (only those that support DirectX 10 or higher).
    Quadro FX-series notebook GPUs (only those that support DirectX 10 or higher).
    NVS-series notebook GPUs (only those that support DirectX 10 or higher).

If you want help with a build do a thread as you will get help from people may not look at a driver Nvidia thread .........esp if they run ATi.

17. Tony

Tony Registered

Well, back on topic - I've installed nVidia's latest beta's: 301.24 & they seem good, a small bit quicker than my previous, & very nice picture quality .. I've not experienced any stuttering or any other probs.. & I used nVidia's own Install prog, choosing "Custom" & ticking "Clean Install"