Released NOW Available Sebring International Raceway!!!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I understand it's hard to equalize due to the external things you talked about like contrast, etc. But whatever is on devs hands should be done, I think anything that disturbs the vision of the drivers should be impossible to turn off (that includes pit crew animations if they ever appear in the game)
    That's one thing I like about consoles, it's mostly the same for everyone. Maybe a sim sooner or later should start learning with them, take more control over game video settings, could maybe make things more stable. Obviously min requirements will have to be rised, but it's necessary.

Gasper Zupan and Turbo like this.
  2. Filip

Filip Registered

Maybe disable changing such options only for online?
    It would be a pity to experience lower fps for people that play offline in sunny weather because rain shaders can't be disabled

Turbo, 2ndLastJedi and McKiernan like this.
  3. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

You need somehow to make sure every RF2 simmer that goes into the graphical options is made aware of this.
    Then it is not a problem.
    Otherwise yes problem.

Atsuki and patchedupdemon like this.
  4. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

It’s kinder like the h-shifter verses auto shift aid, one makes it easier and the other adds immersion, and makes it harder/slower, both are choices that have to be available to allow for players that wish to use either.

Id be no good as a dev, because I’d be a dictator, id allow no aids and no options turn things down, either get the necessary hardware or here, have a refund and be gone with you.

Then I’d be out of business,so yeah,I don’t envy devs,or have the patience to put up with the the human race,I like my Lonely little bubble

Damn this beer is going to head

5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

You can control the speed of the auto shift in a H-car tho, that end up making things equal. ;)
    If one will be easier than another it's a different history and up to the drivers choice, but making sure they are as equal as possible is doable.

6. AMillward

AMillward Registered

This is why I always played the original Far Cry on low when online. So you could see people hiding in the bushes that were only there on high settings.

Nitrometh and David Kolody like this.
  7. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

Yes, this is nothing new and not worth discussing too much.
    Lower graphical options offer an advantage in game-play over visual quality, especially in 3D shooters and everywhere where a clear view with no distractions is critical to success.
    This is a conscious choice to make.
    Same is true for driver aids, usually auto clutch is allowed for obvious reasons but one can choose to use an H-pattern and heel n toe.
    There's again a choice to make, immersion over absolute performance.
    In my experience, so long as one does not go to ridiculous extremes (like using ancient shifting tech in a modern F1 car!) the better driver will still prevail.
    Either way it's a choice that people are free to make.

8. Filip

Filip Registered

It is not a choice for those who don't have the hardware in a first place

9. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Could be forced host/server side with a tag "forced HIGH settings" or smth. Maybe even possible atm. Not sure.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What Marcel mentioned above (a different windshield effect for 'Off' settings, giving a static raindrop look) would have very little impact on performance and could give very similar impairment to the actual dynamic drops (especially if the game were able to generate that static image based on the mod's raindrop mapping).

I do have to ask though, are raindrops really that much of a disadvantage in cars with wipers? Tyre smoke, rain spray I can understand, but windshield raindrops? (ok, side windows I can better understand, but a static image will work very well there I think)

11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

There should be no need to force the static render on the windshield in single player , online maybe but give the single player the choose of fps in dry conditions over performance lose for nothing .

Filip likes this.
  12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Overall studio397 are doing a great job on optimising rfactor2

Bear in mind the true dynamics of rf2 puts a tad more load on a PC too

Roll on next batch of optimisations
    I’m happy I’m fairly low settings (VR)

CPU upgrade coming soon too
    So the coming winter is looking very bright

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@2ndLastJedi the static image being talked about is virtually zero performance impact.

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Another 'just curious' from me. Adding the rain shader(s) decreases performance. But what about video cards that have more available Vram? Is there a number in Vram Gigs that should be the minimum for acceptable performance? I have an R480 from AMD that is now about 2 generations old...at least... but I have 8 gigs of Vram. I wonder if having that extra room would decrease the hit we take on using extra graphics like rain shaders?

15. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

I have a i5-8600 and a 1060 6gb (391.35) and I can not confirm huge performance gains (if any) setting rain Drops to OFF compared to ULTRA

16. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Same for me. Absolutely no differences.

17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

So @davehenrie is onto something with his VRAM thought .
    So us with lager VRAM cards won't notice any performance gains anyway !

18. Louis

Louis Registered

@stonec https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year

19. stonec

stonec Registered

The improvement I got was not from VRAM. VRAM being full will indeed cause a huge performance drop in rF2, but ever since I upgraded to 4 GB GPU I was never close to the limit no matter what settings (the nice thing with the latest W10 release is that VRAM usage can be tracked in task manager).

I'm not surprised that a single setting didn't bring improvements for everyone, as there are always many variables to factor in. The ones I can think of on top of my head would be CPU/PCIe bottleneck (rain shaders seem to primarily stress GPU) and not running a large enough grid. It may also be that specific content (open wheel vs closed wheel) react differently.

@Louis Thanks, but I just try random things and I'm glad if it helped even one person. :)

20. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

I have a GTX 680 OC with 4GB and turning off rain was a huge improvement. Fps are much more stable.
    Nice that you guys found it out.
    I turn it off when I am driving in dry conditions.
    Thanks and cheers