[REL] Nordschleife3 v3.00

Discussion in 'Locations' started by DJCruicky, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Good point on the monitor. Mine's nice and calibrated but the ASUS PLS 27" I got (and properly calibrated) but sent back for replacement was even more beautiful. If I get it in time and my opinion changes (or matters) then I'll post again. Though Tosch should be more than qualified on his own to decide such things without our help!

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

When you release the update version of this mod, may you please post it in the rF2 TPM (Third Party Mods) section (link near the top)? :) . I'm really trying to get this going. Until in-game auto-downloads work perfectly and consistently, I think the official TPM download section will really liven up the mod scene if we can get that website section's momentum really going :)

3. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

I would say silver-golden, but only because the blue-ish is very close on the edge to torquoise/green, which is too much in my opinion.

When neither version can make everyone happy, why not use something in between? :)

4. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Dont ask any opinions. Use your freedom as an artists. This is your baby, not ours. ;)

Cheers!

5. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I think we stay with the silver golden specular reflection for the moment. To be honest, the reason why I asked about the color of the reflection is not because it is a huge problem to figure out what looks right and what looks wrong but to expose that stuff like this exists in the the rF2 graphics engine. Specularity (and sometimes reflection, gloss) is the only way to give a hint what material it is supposed to be, when it is rendered on your monitor. That's the main difference between an old and a modern graphics engine.

Here is an example of a modified guardrail. I have changed the material settings to give it a bit more specular reflection and added a metallic (zinc) pattern to the spec map. The guardrail is just a flat polygon and the texture resolution is very low (I'm not allowed to use higher res textures, because DJC might stand behind me with his bullwhip :D). All information about the "3d shape" and reaction to sun light is in a set of textures (diffuse map, bump map, spec map) and the material settings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Looking good Tosch :)

7. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

Looking Supoib!

8. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Amazing...looking better, than the real one ;)

9. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Did you notice the grass at the bottom of the guardrail? It softens the transition between grass and metal a bit and requires no additional textures. ;)

Btw I have modified the "Karrussel" area and closed the open geometry on the backside of the kerbs (was to lazy to remove them completely, instead lowered the polys on the backside to make it easier to return on track).
    Also fixed some gaps in the road mesh at "Breidscheid".

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
  10. Tony

Tony Registered

Yea I did Tosch ..I think there's more than a bit of the "artist" in you, & I had a nose round your profile page but there are no clues.. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
  11. emha76

emha76 Registered

12. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

13. Tosch

Tosch Registered

14. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Wow that is impressive for being flat polygons. With that is should allow me to run 2 more cars on track :)

Looking fantastic!

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Yes, glad at least a few modders are paying attention to this critical issue that makes the difference between something that looks real versus not real. It's hard work, though, so I hope everyone appreciates it and will be patient. Properly modelling and "painting" an entire track environment and surroundings is a ton of work.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The commitment here is brilliant. Thanks guys, so much.

17. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Brilliant work!

18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Looking really nice. It'd be a dream for that image quality to be the same at, say, 1080p size at all times of the day. Even the kerbs blend well with the environment.

19. C3PO

C3PO Registered

I think it is a work of art - the foliage, the tarmac, the lighting - love it. Just need to sort those weird curbs in S1 and on the inside if the Karrusell. Where can we donate?

20. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Without question it is an endeavor worthy of donation, and we haven't even seen total result yet.