Nice Rosberg Video Explaining Driving View and Position

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Jul 18, 2012.

1. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Yeah, I think it would be interesting to have the camera view actually affect COG. It would certainly validate people doing "realistic" views. Otherwise, IMO, if you're more comfortable a foot above the wheel, so be it! We don't need to worry about a lower COG, so why penalize ourselves?

2. Digi Lauda

Digi Lauda Registered

It wasn´t meant serious at first, but the more i think about it, hmmmmmmmm.
    One has the advantage of lower COG and the other the advantage of a better view. When you get it balanced...........

But it´s really not something i´m expecting ISI will do!

digi

3. coops

coops Banned

going on that video if your into f1 go buy a f1 playseat to get into this position, as haven't seen many sims set up with that seat position.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

LOL i dunno why you would have to buy an F1 playseat just to have a realistic view displayed on your monitor lol but sure ok. If my monitor is much higher than my head and wheel, as it is now cause of my stupid desk, does that mean I should bury my view into the floor of the car so I cant even see anything? If my desk and wheel are too low relative to my chair and head, does that mean I should be playing in the external tv cam? Your logic is complete nonsense lol

LOL I think you would be suprised if your talking about current gt race cars, maybe Austin Minis and Lotus Cortinas from the 60's had relatively high driving positions but not modern day gt race cars.

[​IMG]

DTM car, look how lowwww he is compared to the dash, his eye level is JUSSSTT slightly over the dash and definetely stright on view, none of this angled downward crap we get. He can probably just barley see down the top of the dash because it is almost level with his eye level height. Looks like they definetely moved the wheel lower but look at the dash. Also notice how far back he is from the dash, he is almost in the middle of the car, insane, but forward and back distance is for a different discussion, I am talking about eye level height and angle here.

[​IMG]

Again, same thing with our beloved Nissan GTR FIA GT Version, eye level is straight on and BARLEY higher than dash, top of steering wheel is just about dead centre height wise with his vertical eye lvel as well.

[​IMG]

And again in the Lamborghini "ameteur" Gallardo Super Trofeo one make series Car. Top of the steering wheel and dash are once again just like in the Nissan GTR pic, almost at his eye level and therefore barely under the middle point of of his vertical view. (Should be just under the vertical centre of your screen, similiar to the picture and f3.5 video in my first post.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2012
  5. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Camera height can affect cg height, imo.

Can't remember if it was possible to adjust camera via upgrades or would it need new .veh meaning different car for different seat height, but it is doable, not very smooth of course as one then would have to choose fixed camera height, but is there need to have height adjustment? Isn't seat adjusted in open wheelers so that driver's eyepoint remains same no matter how tall driver is?

Yeah, of course via upgrades or .veh file you would need to change cgheight from hdv also.

6. Ruudjuh

Ruudjuh Registered

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I spot backseat driver :)

I stick to my old street cars, so much better to see everything around you :p

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Not like that man, please watch the first vid with nico rosberg in my original post, that view is too high and angled downward I can see part of his inner brakes sometimes and all along the whole top of the nose, not like that at all.

9. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Yep. The helmet cam is not on eye level.

This one is more close to the real deal. You can see the visor closing and the "nose/mouth" part of the helmet;

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2012
  10. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

11. Tuttle

This is a schematic drawing by redbull (i agree, the rosberg position is wrong);

[​IMG]

12. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Here's probably the best reference video for the actual seating position (jump to about 3:20 for Perez to hop "in" the car):

In it (and also the Kubica video), you can see that Perez's eyes are about level with the mirrors--which *gasp* makes sense. Yes, he may be sitting a bit more upright since he has to prop up half of his body, but getting more specific than that is just plain silly--you're talking about a matter of a centimeter or two--which is going to change depending on the driver's height and personal preferences, and from team to team.

13. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Great schematic. It looks like he's in a 750hp recliner lol! ;)

[​IMG]

My next racing seat! ^ :D

14. blakboks

blakboks Registered

You joke, but one project I was working on, before I had to go and get a job, was creating a stand for my pedals so I could recline in my desk chair while playing. Well, that's mostly because my chair doesn't lock, and leaning back it it at all causes it to recline, at which point I can't reach my pedals; and my way to compensate for this (butt way forwards in chair) is horribly uncomfortable and hurts my back after 5-10 min. of play.

15. Ruudjuh

Ruudjuh Registered

Please read lucas digrassi's Quote:" I had to drive with only one eye open as the camera was blocking my other eye, quite tricky"
    So I think that the video of him driving around Spa francorchamps is on eye level. maybe 1or2 cm infront of his left eye.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBbPGQ3Bpug

16. MJP

MJP Registered

Just to play devils advocate, if a higher view was more advantageous then they'd find a way to use it IRL. ;)

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

THAT IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE VIEW. Honestly man think. He can almost see the freaking ground right next to him, you cant see the ground right next to you when your sitting in a formula car in real life, or just about any car for that matter. In real life, you have to look much farther into the distance to finally see the ground than in that video. Look when he is comming out of the pitlane, there is a wall right next to him, yet he can see the ground before the wall LOL, are you kidding me lol. Also, the camera can see further down the verticle centre of his tyres, you cant see halfway down your tyres when your strapped in a formula car man common.

On top of that look at all the videos and pics we all submitted. I mean I honestly dont know what else we can tell you. About what Lucas stated, sure parts of the camera, the mounting bracket, or whatever part it may be, may have been close to his eye, but definetely not the lens.

The camera compared to that video has to be A. angled straighter on so its pointed looking into the horizon more, not so downwards and B. much lower.

In regards to camera angle and seat height we have been having a good discussion about it in the last 2 or 3 pages of the following thread. http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/4904-FOV-Calculator/page6

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
  18. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I said not so low like the F1 position!If you look at the GT-cars cockpit,the seat is low but not much as the F1 seat where the foots are even high than the knee!i'm building a new cockpit and the seat is high only 12-13cm from the base so it's so similare to this cockpit in the photo that you have posted above!

19. jtbo

jtbo Registered

When I look mirrors on that Digrassi driving F1 at wet Spa video, I can see mostly bodywork of F1 car, so he has mirrors adjusted wrong or camera is higher than his eye level. I don't think that wide angle lens could cause that?

It is not far, but bit higher. Now visor has certain height, what is that height in F1 helmet?

If camera is near top of visor and we can see eye level is around half of visor, we could then get some approximate of difference of height, so set camera same as in video and lower it by adjustment in car by amount of half visor and one should be really close to correct view?

Those who model F1 cars, how high are mirror tops, how high is center of helmet placed when making car, shouldn't that be quite close to correct view height?

In 3d modeller software it would be relative simple to check helmet's center point and look those photos to estimate eye position, then just set camera file so that eyepoint is that precise location. No adjustments allowed to height and everyone would have same real height for their view.

Previously I have measured my eye point height in my car and then set camera file to have same height, I would guess all car makers try to set default position to where driver's head is?

FOV, monitor, etc should not affect height, only how wide area one can see, or so I would think.

For eye point adjustments I have been thinking measuring seat movement on rails and put that to adjustment range, maybe I need to work out backrest angle adjustment to that also. Would love to have setting tied to each other for backrest adjustment purposes, but up/down, back/forward should suffice just need to measure proper ranges where adjustment can be then made.

In F1 car, I would imagine there being really small amount of adjustments for position, front back probably none as helmet is resting to car's body where there is tiny cushion, seat has no adjustments, mostly geometry of human body is adjustment range, Mansell was big one, he did not fit to standard cockpit, don't know who is smallest ever, but less than that difference as difference in legs is not affecting height of helmet, only distance from hip to head.

Pointless to argue if one could get numbers and see that is the range, so instead arguing energy could be used for research of that information? :)

20. Tuttle

This is a test/study I make long time ago with the ISI bmw (using a near to normal angle of view to simulate human FOV in the focus area):

[​IMG]