New Sound JSON Files

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by redapg, Dec 29, 2022.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

@EmperorOfFinland The Problem is a Dot in the File Name.
    Remove all Dots, that only the Dot for the File Extension exists.
    Then it should work.
    I will adapt the Script, to avoid such Problems.

2. redapg

redapg Registered

@EmperorOfFinland Now you can also upload SFX Files that have Dots in their File Name.
    If you still have Problems, report again.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  3. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

Okay i managed to get matra working too by fixing code errors doing the same things to it as i did to the other ones.

4. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

Thanks this should do it as im sure that many people might encounter this from old stuff. also now we know what the script does not like :D Thanks for fixing it so quickly

redapg likes this.
  5. StefWar

StefWar Registered

@redapg Hi, it seems you are quite ( a lot! ) skilled with the new sound engine.
    So I'm humbling asking if there is a way to increase tyre sound volume for the latest GT3 pack (3.53)?
    With the latest update I cannot hear tyres anymore, and like this it is impossible to drive for me.
    Tried myself to make a mod, but didn't work, no change is the sound whatsoever...
    Any idea how to do it? I guess you just need to know the correct variable names to modify, but how to get them?
    Many Thanks!

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I think there is a process to use the upgrade screens(after editing the sound files) but that would make your car ineligible to join online races unless the server had the same upgrade package. Offline should pose no problem if you get the results you are searching for.
    It is a testament to the variety of users that some dislike not being able to hear opponents, others don't like the brake sounds, others(like you!) have gotten used to driving by the sound of the tires....Seems we all key on different stimuli.

7. redapg

redapg Registered

@StefWar Unfortunately, no, i'm not very skilled with the new Sound Engine.
    I can not say much about GT3 Sound Changes, because i almost never drive them.
    But when they were better balanced before the last Update, it will maybe change again with the next Update(s).
    I would suggest to post it in the Bug Section, to maybe get a Hint if it was made intentionally.
    Or are you maybe on the RC, where Things also sometimes get changed by accident.

I can understand you very well.
    Without Tire Sounds, Cars in Simulations are undriveable for me too.

But maybe, as @davehenrie has said already, we'll get the possibility to use own Settings and Sounds by Upgrades, or better, more Options in the Menu.

8. StefWar

StefWar Registered

@redapg , @davehenrie , so all the mods listed above in this topic refers to the old sound engine?
    Just to understand...

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Just about everything NOT S397, and a good portion of older S397 will still use the legacy sliders, essentially the old sound system. Little by little, the interested modders like @doddynco will discover the ins and outs of the new system and some mods will eventually get some sort of update to the new sound engine. I would assume many 3rd party mods will never be updated.
    Perhaps we can assemble a list of cars that are updated and those that are not.
    @Paul Jeffrey Just had a thought, could there be some sort of icon on workshop/Store cars that indicate whether the car adhere's to the new sound engine?

10. Rastas

Rastas Registered

I have been working on the new engine sound also,i go post here the json that im using in my Golf MK1 mod,it was horn and tires and some others effetcs working in outside,still a working in progress,also making the the same to the 134 Judd and the Mercedes 190E EVO2 :)
    Feel free to use the script :)

Attached Files:

Corti likes this.
  11. redapg

redapg Registered

I also currently work at my SFX to JSON Conversion Tool, to add all Entries, that i can find in SFX Files, to the basic Sound JSON that i use (it is the one from the DevMode Skip Barber), that misses a lot of Outside Sounds, because it's an open Wheeler, i guess. ;)
    So i maybe will also add the Option to choose between a JSON for an open Wheeler/Convertible or a Limousine.

yoss and Corti like this.
  12. yoss

yoss Registered

Keep us the good work you made in your online tools

redapg and Corti like this.
  13. Corti

Corti Registered

Testing the @redapg tool (thank you very much) for the sounds of the MM8C inherited from the ISI Chevy C6, (one by one with Audacity). I share the JSON file in case you provide any help. The new McLaren version is already available (0.98)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    redapg likes this.
  14. redapg

redapg Registered

As i have said above, i currently try to improve/expand my Sound SFX to JSON Converter Tool.
    But i have to say, that i'm a bit lost with it.
    Besides of that i don't fully understand the new JSON Method, i also miss some Documentation, like a full List of "Triggers" for different Sounds, that can be used.
    On THIS Site was written
    "The key is a reference to a variable the game will read that correlates to the first value of each key. A list of possible keys, and a visual example, will be provided later"
    Or was it provided already and i just missed it?

And also the Sound Editor in DevMode seems not to do what i would expect him to do.
    I, for Example, would expect a Functionality like this:
    Add new Event, with the Option Inside/Outside and then the Option to add different Variables and also Sound Files, that can be directly played and set up then.

But it only seems to load existing Events and Variables and that only incomplete, as it seems for me.
    Or i'm just to stupid to use the Editor properly.

But let me give an Example, for what my current Problem is.
    In the SFX, we have the Entry VS_INSIDE_HIT_CONE, with that i can define a Sound, that is played when a Cone gets hitten.
    And there are Entries for Walls and other Cars too.
    But how can that be done in the JSON?

I don't find a "Trigger" like "ConeHit" or "HitCone" or something like that, in the DevMode Sound Editor.
    The only Thing what seems to exists, is a Section, titled with "crossfade", Name "collision" and the bankKey "collisionType", where a kind of array (this: ["wall","car","object","special"]) gets used, to play different HitWall Sound Files and blend them.
    I have this Entry from the DevMode Skip Barber Sound JSON File.
    But with that, i hear a "Hit Wall" Sound also when i hit a Cone.

And there seems to be no Possibility to specify that directly, like it was possible in the SFX, at least i haven't found one.
    So i will stop with my Efforts to improve the Tool, until i know, how such Things can be done.
    Maybe @doddynco can shed some Light here? :)

Do i understand it right, that you need some Help with that?
    As you can see above, i'm also no Expert with that. :D
    But you can contact me by a private Conversation, if you need Help. ;)

Corti likes this.
  15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The skip barber json doesn't fill out that template properly.

Code:
                        "replace": ["wall","car","object","special"],
                        "find": "TYPE",

These should replace "TYPE" with each of the "wall", "car", etc depending on the type of collision. The skip barber json doesn't do that, as none of the specified sound files have "TYPE" in them. They're all Skip_hit<x>_wall.wav files. So no matter what type of collision, a wall hit plays. (one of the 5, randomly by the looks)

If instead the sound files specified were like this: "sounds\\Skip_hit1_TYPE.wav"

And you had these sound files in the folder:
    Skip_hit1_wall.wav
    Skip_hit1_car.wav
    Skip_hit1_object.wav
    Skip_hit1_special.wav

Then you should get the different sounds for the different collision types.

(you could also structure it slightly differently, so that you work in the Impulse of the collision and have a big crunch noise for a heavy wall impact, but a quieter bump noise when you don't hit a wall so hard - which would be a good improvement!)

doddynco and redapg like this.
  16. redapg

redapg Registered

Thank you @Lazza i will try that out.
    I already tried it with TYPE_..., but without Success.
    Did you try it out or did you read it in an official Documentation, that the Syntax is ..._TYPE and not TYPE_...?

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I haven't tried, but it should replace exactly what is in the "find" parameter. The underscores don't matter, they're just easier for us to read. So for example this:
    sounds\\mysoundTYPEfile.wav

would become mysoundwallfile.wav, mysoundcarfile.wav, etc.

The name format is purely up to you. You can change "TYPE" to whatever you want as well.

Now, whether the example actually works with its current format when you use the template properly, I can't answer that - I'm jumping into this 5 mins at a time when someone asks a question, I haven't had the chance to play with all this properly myself :D

18. redapg

redapg Registered

Then i will also have to check, why it didn't worked with TYPE_ and an accordingly named wav File, for me.
    Maybe it was the Value "Cone" that i did use in the Array, that maybe is no valid Value and get ignored.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, I think you might need to stick with those 4 options, the schema at least doesn't seem to list anything. Not sure if the game will actually reference others or not. It's not easy as 'cone' is related to the sounds in a totally different way as well :p

20. redapg

redapg Registered

Yes, i also did see that "cone" is used for something else, already, so i also tried hitcone, conehit ...... how much wasted Time that always is, only because of a Lack of proper and complete Documentation.