New Sound JSON Files

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by redapg, Dec 29, 2022.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

I currently try to write a new Tool Script, with that you can convert a Sound SFX File into a Sound JSON File, that seems to be mandatory for the new Sound System.
    (I at least try to get all Sounds from the SFX File into the JSON)
    I use the skipbarber_snd.json as a Pattern and did notice that is doesn't have Outside Backfire Sounds, while the SFX has them.
    Is that made intentionally?
    Maybe @Alex Sawczuk can you answer that?

EDIT Seems to be the same with the Transmission Sounds

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
  2. redapg

redapg Registered

While working at my SFX to JSON Converter Tool, i have seen that the Skip Barber Sound JSON File has Entries for Wipers already, even if the Car has none. :)
    So i thought i could try it out and it really seems to work already.
    So you maybe get the first (?) modded Car with Wiper Sounds soon. :)

3. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

Isn't it possible to make a HRTF file to make the sounds you want to come out? Then tell rF2 to use that HRTF?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

HRTF files are about matching your head and ear shape. That's all.

5. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Dammm,you have read my mind bro,i as just to make a post to ask if you could made this tool :D

6. Rastas

Rastas Registered

And very thanks :)

redapg likes this.
  7. doddynco

doddynco Registered

There are some really good new variables in the sound engine, some of which haven't been 'turned on' yet.

You can/will be able to have wet wiper sounds. There is also a sound variable for 'spray' as in rain spray. So we can have another/replacement tyre sound as the track becomes wet. The old way just checked 'is it raining? yes/no' - this didn't work very well at all, and it was limited to tyre skid sounds only.

We also now have a brake temperature variable - so we can have cold, squeaky breaks, which progresses into a more deliberate and powerful sound. We can also have a brake sound for when the brake pedal is barely pressed, - which lightly grazes the disk.

The most amazing thing about the new sound engine is how open it is - it seems like the limit is the creators imagination and time. You want to have a seat belt rattle? Maybe you want the brakes rotors to hiss when they burn off water (I can't wait to try this one). We can use the difference between the left and right drive wheels, multiplied by the throttle position (ideally, torque output) to determine a mechanical differential sound. We can have awesome details which we simply didn't have the freedom to implement before.

At the moment there is a set amount of variables/triggers available for sound development, however, it should be reasonably simple to have extra variables/triggers added if we request them to s397 - maybe we would like a dashboard switch/toggle sound, or I would really like an engine torque output figure to use instead of throttle position - as this is better for turbo engines if you want to modulate the volume of the engine relative to the power output. An important one would be engine wear - listen to your engine struggle before it makes its last breath.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
  8. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

@Devin would be the one to ask.

redapg likes this.
  9. redapg

redapg Registered

Thank you for the Hint.
    Do you think it's enough that you did it already now?

10. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

The skippy also does not have the turbo dump, hiss and whistle sounds so the code for that has to be written by someone from scratch. as that does prevent making proper turbo sounds as skippy did not come with examples of that so just a headsup of that @redapg

I have been poking around the new format a bit myself and i have managed to port the sounds quite well but due to lack of coding experience i have not done that to turbo engines. The NA engines were somewhat simple to code in and if you need i can give you my partially ported files to take look at.

11. doddynco

doddynco Registered

12. EmperorOfFinland

Thanks doddynco i will throw you back the Alfa V8 sound i have been tweaking after i add it in.

doddynco likes this.
  13. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Awesome thank you !

14. EmperorOfFinland

Okay i managed to port the values and i will replicate them to the alfa romeo engine. it should take like 30-60 mins to finish up with the BMW that i already asked from you and merge values properly and then do alfa based on them. it should be mostly compatible due to the fact

Here is the BMW that uses the same enginesound i asked permission for you so you can copy the turbo structure to put it in as most values are basically the same https://drive.google.com/file/d/12rY2QSxWfJI-U5tj9Ya9nLo3BceO3vuc/view?usp=share_link

doddynco likes this.
  15. EmperorOfFinland

doddynco likes this.
  16. Rastas

Rastas Registered

I dont get the outside engine sounds working in my new mod,plays always the inside sounds,also in the Skip Barber in track there is no skid and others sounds in outside view,im missing something?

17. redapg

redapg Registered

Maybe it's Time to offer the Link to my new Tool, with that you can convert from SFX to JSON.
    I will also add it to the main Selection Site of the Tools now.

Direct Link

But keep in Mind, the Tool is VERY WIP, so don't expect too much.
    It's more a Test than anything else now.

18. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Thank you,testing it now :)

Corti likes this.
  19. Corti

Corti Registered

many thx mate, time for test McLaren sound.;)

davehenrie and doddynco like this.
  20. redapg

redapg Registered

@Slow Motion just suggested (thank you Marco :)), to add the Hint to the Tool, that the JSON File, instead of the SFX File, has to be linked in the veh Files, to get it working.
    That sounds like an superflous Suggestion, but i guess we all know, that sometimes, such self-evident Things, if they get forgotten, can cause many Irritations. ;)

Emery, Corti and davehenrie like this.