New player, Beta concerns and thoughts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boxorman8, May 2, 2012.

1. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Of course! You're right. I meant to type Bernie Ecclestone, but given the fact that it was 4am in the morning and I was still at work forgive me, please. :D

2. ROON

ROON Registered

Not a problem. They're both as bad as each other. :cool:

3. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

ure serious with this?

4. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Indeed! Haven't you heard about those guys who won the GT Academy thing? With some real life training some of us sure could compete with top notch race drivers. I'm not saying I could, I'm far too slow, but some of our faster guys sure could.
    Occasionally, I'm driving online against a real life race driver from the British GT series. Google for Adam Wilcox if you must. This guy started his career when he was 9 years old and he's my age now. He's of course quicker than me, but not so much. About 2 secs max. And at GT5 with identical cars, I was only one hundreth of a sec slower at Monza. He didn't have a wheel back then, however. ;)
    So, I think it's not completely unrealistic.

5. ROON

ROON Registered

There are many simulator hobbyists who could become good professional racers. There are also many that couldn't. I agree with the notion that those who have driven competitively tend to have a chip on their shoulder and presume that sim hobbyists don't understand any of the fundamentals of driving and racing; but the GT Academy winners are but a minute fraction of the seas of people who applied and competed in the tournament. Wilcox is racing because he is good at it. Just because he is, doesn't mean every other owner of a racing game is as well. Do good FPS players make good soliders? Good Guitar Hero players make good musicians? I don't think so...

6. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

You can't compare fps to simracing or flight sims.
    You don't play fps with an assault rifle or hand grenades!
    But I agree, there are millions out there, like myself, who have no clue about racing.

7. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Lucas OrdoƱez (winner of the first edition of GT Academy) was not bad exactly. He was a guy with a great talent who had raced karts since childhood, but had to leave for lack of support and money. Luckily for him, won the GT Academy and was able to show what great driver he is.

Simdrivers as there is one in a million. Most of us would not be able to give one back to the border with a car competition.

8. ROON

ROON Registered

Believe it or not, there's more to being a soldier than using a rifle or grenade. For example, an experienced military simulator gamer will be competent in decision making, risk assessment, evasive and offensive tactics, etc. But if inserted into a real life scenario, under the stress and pressure, that experience behind a PC won't count for much. There's a limit to how realistic simulators can get, and a limit to how much you can learn in a simulation as opposed to real life experience and training. My point is that skill in one doesn't always equate to skill in the other, and visa versa.

9. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Yes, but that actually depends on ones mind set. Someone who is very successful in virtual battles (in tactics etc.) in ARMA for example, if won't go crazy on real battlefield, might also be successful as the general rules on both are the same. Of course, we have additional equation to the puzzle - "survive or die".
    In simracing, you don't have to worry much about beeing shot down by a hostile soldier :)
    Of course, if you loose your mind after taking a seat in a real racing car then no matter how great a simracer you are, you will fail for sure... but if you just focus on what you are supposed to do, then you will find yourself with just getting used to g-forces.
    Of course I assume that in simracing you were racing in the proper way, in cars with correct physics etc.
    Obviously, doing simracing in cars with fantasy physics doesn't have much in common with driving real cars :)

10. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Hey! You said fps! Not ArmA! ;)

I see your point, though.

EDIT: LesiU, thank you! Exactly what I'm talking about.

11. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

so I am equal to Denny Hulme? (I like that, sounds good, I dont mind :D)

12. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Im sure being good in sims is irrelevant with being good in real life. The opposite is more than possible.
    Only thing u could learn in sim is the track.

13. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

Hi, I've got some friends who does real Porsche GT3 racing (he was Champion in Luxembourg and he's actually a racing car engineer) and he also tried rfactor 1. He wasn't that impressed by Rf1. But honestly, if you can do the real thing, why would you spend time on sim racing-;)...

There was however an interesting test with an iracing champion who was put in a Formula Mazda car on a real track. He never raced a racing car before and never was on track. He performed pretty well... even though he throw up after a few laps, not being used to the G-forces.
    You can have a look here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yJBXcxRTZY
    &
    http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/geek-rebooted-2010-11-26?imageNo=0

14. Boxorman8

Boxorman8 Registered

Been racing 60s cars last day, Belgium, Spa only so far, im liking this track very much the more I play it. it's deceivingly hard, maybe cuz it feels like im on ice if I'm flat out.
    I did a crazy wild accidental drift around one of longer corners were you can go almost 250 kph. that felt worth atleast 10-15 wipeouts

I run the car 100% default because I'm sure I'll just do more harm than good if I start tinkering around there without a clue.
    How do you guys tune the cars, if you do?
    Is there any difference between the eve or sparks cars other than visually?

I've been practicing in singleplayer with Ai at 90% so I drive so fast that I wipe out a lot, fun to race on something that isn't a 100% smooth grippy F1 circuit track.
    Which track should I start driving next?

15. Maug

Maug Registered

Greger Huttu is not an iracing champion, he's a simracing legend. He's not wait iracing to win. :)

Also why would F1 pro team uses simulators then? Surely not for the fun.

16. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Engineering purposes mostly.