New player, Beta concerns and thoughts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boxorman8, May 2, 2012.

1. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I think your approach is a bit different then ours. nothing personal but I have such feeling.
    There are no "maps". There are tracks or circuits. We are no riding. We are racing.
    Our goal is to practice perfecting racing line which affects times. If you like more doing a few laps on Nord, it's quite sure that you will be slower for about a minute comparing to practising simracer. Now I can speak only for my self, but it is not fun to me being slower for a minute.

In short, rFactor is considered to be racing simulator, not a toy ;)
    I'm sure understanding this, help you to understand us, our point of view and our answers.

with regards.

2. fastfezzer

fastfezzer Registered

Exactly. Castle Combe for rF1 (think it was done by Lasercutter ported from TRD3) was so inaccurate that in my eyes it's fantasy.

There is a whole category on rfactorcentral for fantasy tracks, i'm sure the same will apply for rF2. A combination of some of the best corners in the world amalgamated into one fantasy track would be very fun.

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

After updates you have to go in to your control set and re-assign controls. I think your shifter may not be working because you haven't done this yet.

rFactor 1 had a lot of fictional tracks. rF1 has THOUSANDS of tracks (literally) and not all of them are regular circuit tracks. There are Alpine roads, rally, dirt, snow, city etc. So even though rF2 doesn't have any of this now, it can be reasonably assumed that there will be in time (if modders aren't turned off by the rfmod system).

Here is a track map plugin

4. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Magny Course was created like that (single corners taken from other real tracks) and yeah, it's a great racing circuit :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2012
  5. ROON

ROON Registered

Circuit of the America's in Austin is designed with that concept in mind.

6. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

For me it is a toy - a sandbox.

7. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I'm sure he is asking for modding abilities ;)

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

and a fine sandbox it is. Big boys around here mostly.
    But i was wondering how close to a simulator are we. Are we going to have a driving model closer to a real car or this is as far as ISI goes? I cannot believe that 60s F1s were so undrivable as I cannot believe F3s were driven flat out for the whole SPA.

@Boxorman8, there is no way you will learn a track with a map. Only way is to take A LOT of laps around it. I know some tracks quite well and Ican never recognise them when I see their map.

9. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Good point.
    I believe rf it self is engine simulating physical processes. So, yes - it is the sim. But each simulator must be parametrized. For example you have to put correct car weight, or correct engine torque slope. And it is easier part. Then you end up with lack of knowledge or data for tyres and/or aero.

So, yes. rF is a simulator. It simulates behaviour of cars with using of defined properties. But no one give you guarantee that those cars simulate real life equivalents in exact way.
    What is adverse, 2 modders may create the same car but cars will behave in different way. lack of belief into "get real" is imo a weak part of this open platform.

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I fully understand, but whats the point if the result is undrivable cars? I expect we wait for rf3 then?
    (not nagging but i really would like to know what to expect)

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I don't know how hard was F1 from sixties to drive. but true is, that real driver in real car has a lot more feedback from car. Especially G-forces which he can feel makes his reaction a lot earlier before he loose control. In Sim you may judge car behaviour only from graphics and FF. And IMO this information is not enough (too late) to properly control car on the edge.
    it MAY BE a reason that correctly simulated hardcore racing car (ie F1 from sixties) is very hard to control.

On the other hand, there is a lot of modern cars simulated, for example GT class, which should be very easy to drive up to about 150kmph but are very nervous yet at 100kmph.
    Don't know if it is bug of simulation (as far as I know some issues simulating tyres with low speed were common in older sims) or just belief that racing cars MUST be hard to handle.
    Also, even the best sim, can't simulate real car in 100%.

But at the end, I think it is not about racing exact cars, but about competing with each other. not that online all drivers uses the same physics, suffers from the same issues etc, so each one has same conditions. then only driver's abilities counts. To me just racing against other drivers does matter. It give me fun, satisfaction. Then I'm ready to sacrifice my free time to practice to be better and better comparing to my opponents.

12. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Fictional tracks will come. I think a lot of people actually race on real tracks for the 'fantasy' aspect of it, anyway. What I mean is that people like to imagine themselves as being heroes being able to tame these vicious cars around a world-class track.

Well, I think another reason more people don't create fictional tracks is due to the added tasks of actually designing the track and its facilities. It takes quite a bit less creativity (not necessarily less work, mind you) to gather a bunch of reference material and make something that already exists. But to have to create something from nothing--that takes another skill-set entirely. As much as people criticize Tilke, there's a reason he's the only one designing tracks for F1 (yes, some of it may be political, but I assure you not all of it is).

I agree. A lot of the fantasy tracks made in rF1 felt very sterile and over-designed. They were fantasy tracks for the sake of creating a fantasy track. Rather than taking what works in the real world and applying that to a track that just doesn't exist.

Yes, you have complete creative freedom when creating a fantasy track--just like a film-maker or painter has complete creative freedom when creating in their respective art forms--but that doesn't necessarily mean that one 'should' push the limits entirely. As it says in "101 Things I Learned in Architecture School", "constraints encourage creativity" (paraphrased).

(Posted a little in haste, didn't get to edit it--so sorry if things come across a little brash or heavy-handed, or arguments are a little cryptic)

13. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I hope you guys are aware that Mills is a fantasy track. :p

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

oops...

15. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

I agree with MaXyM! Real life race drivers have many advantages over us sim racers, therefor it pretty much pisses me off, when they sometimes look down on us in certain interviews I have seen claiming we're all little boys wanting to be racers. I admit I've never driven a race car in my life but how big can the difference be between one of those and a road car, other than the power and suspension? They are all cars in the end and to a certain degree should behave similar, right?
    If guys who only played GT5 on a ps3 can get on the podium in a real life 24hr race at Le Mans against drivers with a lifetime racing experience, I mean they do this for a living ffs, we all can't just be wannabes. I say they are scared of us! With all the feedback you get from real cars we should almost be unbeatable. We are a true competition at the very least!
    The only thing that keeps the real race drivers in their places is the exclusivity of the sport, you're not getting very far without big pockets.
    Sheesh, I feel better now! ;)

16. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

"Crazy" in real life, best examples are surely circuits like Monaco and Macau. Imagine being in Monte-Carlo in 1927 and someone said to you ''hey, we're gonna hold a race around these streets'' you'd think they were absolutely bonkers! If you were to visit Monte-Carlo and had never known that Formula 1 cars race around there you wouldn't believe it would be possible.

When I walked through the tunnel for the first time I could not believe that a Formula 1 car could go through there flat. It is an unbelievably sharp corner that scarily tightens and zero run-off. Crazy!!

17. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Yep. Imagine if they never ran a race at Monaco in the past and they went to F1 today to ask to hold a race at the current Monaco street circuit. I would bet F1 would say "NO". Not safe enough. :D

18. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Monaco: Mr. Briatore, would you like to take the Formula 1 to our lovely city?

Flavio Briatore: Sure! How much money you got?

That's what it'd really be like!

19. ROON

ROON Registered

I've always thought that Portimão is pretty crazy. Look at the undulations, it's a roller-coaster ride.

20. ROON

ROON Registered

Or Mr. Bernie, rather? :cool: Actually, Monaco is the only event on the F1 calender that doesn't pay a hosting fee.