New guy - some questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SimRacingRob, Aug 4, 2018.

1. SimRacingRob

SimRacingRob Registered

Hi

Finally getting some decent performance from this sim and am enjoying it, but I have a few questions.

1. is there a way to force replays when selecting full screen (using triples) to only play the replay on one screen and not across all 3? as its killing the FPS and i want to enjoy the replay.

2. i have played around the with sound settings sliders yet i am not able to get any decent(real) volume from the AI cars. EG: they sound like they are 100m away when passing 2m away. is there a work around to improve this?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Number 2 can depend on the content, until very recently opponent sounds were played 'full volume' with only attenuation for distance - like instead of being in your car you were perched on the roof. Recently they added a new parameter for modders to determine how much external sounds should be attenuated by your own car, and they set the default at 70% attenuation. That means all old mods that had quieter opponent sounds, now have opponent sounds that are too quiet. And your only workaround for that is to raise the opponent volume in the sound options, AND turn the rest down if that's still not enough.

New content and updated content (with the new attenuation parameter, or adjusted sound samples) should be closer, but you still might need to adjust the sound volume sliders to get it to your liking. This sort of stuff can also vary a lot between different sound sources, headphones will tend to pick up the other sounds more than speakers for instance.

As for Number 1, I don't know if that's possible. For quite a while years back people with triples were complaining about replays only showing on one screen, so I'm guessing they fixed that but didn't give an option to revert.

SimRacingRob likes this.
  3. SimRacingRob

SimRacingRob Registered

thanks @Lazza for your reply.

Do you know if seating positions can be saved per car?

also

i have a dual boot system (one for just driving,the other for all modding and painting etc) and i was trying to get all the tracks and cars that I had downloaded on my driving install into my editing install by copy and pasting but it doesn't seem to work, a steam backup only seems to do about 1/10 of what i have grabbed already. Is there any tricks to getting all the content across with out DLing 20GB again.

4. enduser

enduser Registered

@Lazza Only 70% !... sound proofing emulator?
    /sarcasm

Tell the developer he s doing it wrong , also it cant be the same in open wheelers, u should also take account visor mods and the tv cockpit/hud cams which are outside anyway. Then u need minimal attenuation with some filtering if you re going to do something about it.
    The non-linearities coded for engine placement as sound source are really good, ISI did that? Maybe exaggerated (like most things sound related) but very useful design tool, thats the intention most probably. Similar quality would deliver in this case i think.

Make it proper or dont bother pls just leave as it is. And then why change the sound engine with no vehicle implementing anything, also gear change exhaust fx is not attenuated the same u can hear it from track cams in the other side off the track, ok its not that loud irl and without ambient reverberation it sounds like crap so just mix it in...

5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Have a look in my mirror guide for CCH (?) file.
    Link in my sig below.

SimRacingRob likes this.
  6. Louis

Louis Registered

You can close the game and select 1920x1080 res and run rf2 again and watch the replay but last time i tried it got distorted view
    Sometime ago i tried to raise graphics settings after ending a session to see if only replay got higher quality. I dont remember if it worked also :confused:

7. SimRacingRob

SimRacingRob Registered

Running my editing install in window mode and it seems no matter what I do to the AA levels it still looks like no AA is happening. Running level 3 with PP on ultra. GTX1080ti

Any ideas ?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@enduser I'm not sure why you're going on about all that, I'm not saying how things should be, I'm just describing how it is. Not that I think ~5.2dB would be great soundproofing anyway. These blanket default changes (to existing content) with new parameters never work well one way or the other, in the end we end up with it under modder control which is probably where it should be. If they leave all existing content as-is, a fair bit of that content still has opponent sounds too loud - which mean the player then lowers opponent volume - then when they play a mod that has taken it into account with the sounds, or has implemented the new parameter, that opponent volume needs to be raised. There's no neat way out, this is where we are. Sound engine/implementation deficiencies are for another thread.

9. enduser

enduser Registered

I m sorry nothing against you ofc , you seem to speak in an official capacity sort of, usually with details of the game engine, anyway that 70% is just weird and brakes the game no biggie - yes its for another thread.

They lower the volume so we must bring it up again, ok thats what the opponent volume slider was supposed to be for only now its ineffective , official cars dont work either, no opponents sound and no hotfix all this time. What am i supposed to say , its frustrating and it also makes no sense.

Is there any change log about this btw, steam one doesnt say anything about it.

10. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

@Lazza is as far as i know,not on the pay roll,he’s just very knowledgable about rf2,and helps out when ever he can.

He’s a great source of knowledge for folks having issues with rf2

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Things like that are not always easy to find :)

https://www.studio-397.com/2018/04/release-of-build-1110/

and https://forum.studio-397.com/index....ing-factor-for-the-cockpit.60145/#post-946161 for further clarification.

That also explains the rationale behind introducing it (volume of opponent cars on external cams vs cockpit cam). I was focusing on the cockpit cam where it has definitely led to a bit of inconsistency (because some content was designed for the way it was before). I don't think a 70% drop is that massive, of course in reality you'd want to filter it properly rather than a simple volume reduction but the sound engine overall needs an overhaul to start looking at those sorts of details. For higher frequencies I'd say 70%/5.2dB isn't enough, some lower frequencies it's probably too much, but that's what it is.

@patchedupdemon Definitely not on the payroll (I'd be generally happier if I was ;), but also probably posting a lot less as I'd have real work to do), I just read the forum a lot and it can be easier to restate what I've read somewhere instead of trying to find the original source to link to it (and summarising what's been discussed rather than linking to a thread of 30+ pages where the topic was sporadically mentioned, is easier for everyone). That varies. Sometimes I do try to explain things from a personal logical standpoint with mixed results, but where possible I try to accurately restate something official.

ceecee, elcoco, bwana and 2 others like this.
  12. enduser

enduser Registered

Yea Lazza is very knowledgeable about rf2 and very active in the forum :) , thanks for the links i get it now. I ve read 1110 notes but it mentions only track cams so i didnt pay much attention tbh.

I remember indeed having 70% opponent volume in previous patch (player car 100%), before i read the post in your 2nd link which suggests the same. Track cam used to playback these two levels player and opponent vol resulting in mismatch.

If u have 1.0 multiplier for 100% vol , dont you need a new 0.7 (default) multiplier for the car to match the old 70% vol in the menu as suggested, with new menu settings both 100% (opponent from 70% to 100%) to compensate?
    Maybe 30% (0.3) was meant to be the amount to reduce volume taking as reference that 70% which worked before, then lost in translation it became 0.3 multiplier and 70% less vol which proves to be way too much.

I mix music 20 years now, -6db is considered half the volume (100% attenuation) but digital playback systems use the full scale (dbfs) which is a bit different and actually doesnt measure loudness but yea its a lot. Then in a mix 5-6dbfs makes a huge difference no doubt about that, anyway here u have 0.3 of the previous volume level (forget about dbs) no wonder we barely hear anything!