Sound - Damping factor for the cockpit

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Jeferson Richart, May 23, 2018.

1. Jeferson Richart

Jeferson Richart Registered

Sound
    • Changed the way opponent volume works. If you set them to 100% in the past, they were way too loud. If you turned them down, they would not be as loud as the player car in external cameras. We introduced a damping factor now for the cockpit that can be configured per car and defaults to 0.3 that solves this issue.
    • The number of engine samples was increased to 12 and the number of transmission samples to 6 to allow much richer sounds for both.

Can someone tell me where is the variable to change 0.3 in the mod? The sound of the mod we used in our league was fine until this update. After that, we can not hear the opponents when they are side by side, compromising the disputes a lot.

Probably I need to change this value 0.3 but I do not know where to find it.
    Can anyone help?

@Christopher Elliott ?

2. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

The variable you need to add to the .sfx file of your car is called: "OutsideVolumeMultiplier". Its range is from 0.0 to 1.0, so it dampens the volume of the cars when in the cockpit view. The default is 0.3. The global recommended volume ratio for opponents is now 100% (instead of 70%) to ensure all cars sound equally loud in TV cameras.

Jeferson Richart likes this.
  3. stonec

stonec Registered

You can also simply increase the external sounds in the mod by adjusting the coefficient that is before the sound sample, like in line below (0.25):

VS_OUTSIDE_POWER_ENGINE_1=0.25,GTM\Vette\V8vette_idle_ex.WAV

If the external sounds are well balanced, there is no need to tweak the damping factor at all.

Jeferson Richart likes this.
  4. Jeferson Richart

Jeferson Richart Registered

Thank you so much Marcel, I'll try that.

Stonec, if you have a simple parameter to correct this, it is much easier.
    In mod the sounds used are already in 1.0, if it increases, there can be distortion and noise. Anyway thank you.

5. Djhandz

Djhandz Registered

Hi. I also find the opponents volume very low. Where can I find this value. I have looked in the player json file but don't see it. Any help would be greatly appreciated thankyou

6. stonec

stonec Registered

The answer was given above in Marcel's post.

7. Djhandz

Djhandz Registered

Thankyou for that and forgive my newb questions but I am struggling to find the file Marcel references to. He states the..The variable you need to add to the .sfx file of your car is called: "OutsideVolumeMultiplier". Its range is from 0.0 to 1.0,
    Would I find this file in the vehicles folder because that is how I am reading it and I only see mas and mft files in the vehicles folder

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Djhandz It's a value/parameter to be added by modders, not the end user. If a mod you're playing has opponent sounds too low you'll need to wait for them to fix it, for online play at least (you could create an offline version for yourself, but if you haven't before it's a slightly confusing process)

9. Djhandz

Djhandz Registered

Or right i see. Thankyou lazza for pointing that out to me

10. Djhandz

Djhandz Registered

And just to add. I have this issue no matter what car I choose. When I adjust the player volume in the options it does nothing but the opponent volume seems to control both player and opponent volume. Maybe this is my issue no separate control for player and opponent volume. Should I have started a new post?

11. stonec

stonec Registered

Are you spectating or switching cars? The player volume slider only applies to the car you join the session with, all other cars should be louder or quieter by the percentage set in the "opponent volume" slider.

New content like GT3 pack should have a pretty good balance with player and opponent volume all set at 100%. Mods may need to be manually updated with the parameter mentioned above. Sometimes it's easier to request mod maker fix the sound than to manually update all mods making them incompatible online in the process.