New AMD driver to reduce frame latency issues.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nand Gate, Jan 18, 2013.

1. dsuspense

dsuspense Registered

I am looking to get a Lenovo IdeaPad Y500.
    These laptops come with a single nVidia GT650M 2GB (which has GDDR5 memory), and support two in SLI configuration.
    I am thinking this should be good to run rF2, and definitely rF1 (which I have no trouble running now).
    I may eventually add another GT650M and run SLI.
    Seems the IdeaPad Y500 and its GT650M is overclockable as well.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Hmmm hard to say, personally I wouldnt go lower than a 660 ti which probably equates to a 670 or 680 mobile (mobile versions are slower than their desktop equivalents), but if you can add a second one down the road than I'd say the 650 might not be bad, google it and check benchmarks for a few different games from a few different sites.

Remember to make sure you're looking at the 650M not the desktop 650/650 ti, as the desktop ones are faster and not comparable to their mobile equivalents.

3. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Is anybody other than Spinelli(thnx for your feedback), ho has just one of 6000 series card, try this driver? And if, is there any improvement in smoothnes of the game. Thnx.

4. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

I have two HD6870 and tried 13.2 beta yesterday, but the problem is I am pretty much playing every game locked at 60 frames, they already run smooth so it's kinda hard for me to tell.

5. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Thnx.

6. Miro

Miro Registered

i've got a single 6870 and there are some improvements but small. about 5 FPS and can't really say something on the smoothnes.
    i've always adjusted the game to get min 60 FPS and now i can turn the shadows from low to medium or sometimes high to get the about the same FPS in game. i am still testing the settings. :eek:

7. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

May i ask which drivers do you use previous?

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If anyone tries the 13.2 betas on 6950/6970 crossfire or trifire please leave us some feedback.

I will be doing crossfire and trifire tests on single screen and triples, comparing 12.10 to 13.1, I will get back to you guys with results over the next few days...

9. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Absolutely. But it is not that straight forward.

10. Miro

Miro Registered

11. lopsided

lopsided Registered

My experience with this driver...

I have a 6950 2GB card and use triple (identical) Samsung 24" monitors.

I've been playing rf2 since build 60 something, with that in mind, I had my first experience with choppy/stuttering screens and tearing with build 134. (I've used every new build since 6X and all have been fresh install, not upgrade).
    Build 134 was also the very first time that I absolutely had to use VSYNC (it helped with the tearing). :( I tried a lot of tweaks listed here but the improvements were minor, so I put rf2 in time out! lol

Then this new driver was released and I installed it late Friday. To my surprise I saw a radical difference. No tearing, smooth frames, NO VSYNC necessary and I could once again enjoy 90-120 fps (depending on track/mod)... mind you I do lower shadows and other details as I have always had to do.

@ Nand Gate, I had to reinstall the CAP's after driver install just like you recommended in your first post. Before I did that I actually acquired an issue with rf1 (which had been problem free). Why was a reinstallation of the CAP's necessary for it to work correctly?? Just trying to understand what's going on.

12. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Thank you and others for feedback. Maybe now i will try new driver.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Install the 12.11 caps with driver 13.1, usually every driver includes all caps up until then but for some reason (maybe cause of the holidays??) the 13.1s don't include the new caps, so make sure you get them too.

The known latency issues are supposed to be first introduced in 13.2, and continually worked on and improved from 13.2 and onwards.

Rumour is the 13.2 will be out in the next week or so. People who have been using the betas (I wouldn't download them, very incomplete) have been reporting a MASSIVE decrease in frame latency/frame rendering times, almost on par with nvidia cards.

13.2 is just the beginning, they are still completely re-writing the entire memory management part and other parts, but recent tests show the 13.2s to already be a huge step forward.

I did read a thread on wsgf (widescreen gaming forum) that the 13.2. Betas made no difference on multi gpu eyefinity users, but hopefully that'll change as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2013
  14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

wow, that's great news for AMD users. :cool:

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, alot of ppl on other forums are saying that the 13.2s (and the next few) could be some of AMDs best driver improvements in years. I have high expectations.

16. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

so now the 7970 users can handle rFactor 2 ? =P

17. lopsided

lopsided Registered

Well you know, I'm using a 6950 2gb and I am wondering if it's too early to upgrade my card to either a 7970 or gtx670. Since it's running my other games fine and I really only want further detail/fps out of rf2 I'm not sure if it's the right time OR if I'm taking a big enough step up in performance to justify laying out $400 or $500 for a new gpu. THoughts??

18. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

well last time I gave that money for a card was 5 years ago 3870x2 and that's what I'm using right now ( card has been 4 times in oven lol)
    I think you should not give that money for now. wait until some new cards to arrive maybe.

19. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

I agree, I have two HD6950 in Crossfire on the new 13.2 drivers (beta) and it runs RFactor2 very well, no point in upgrading just yet, I will skip the 8000's too and await the next proper gen cards ;)

20. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

@ spinelli Im running the 13.1 driver in tri fire HDR is completely whited out but in x fire it works. Does hdr work for you in tri fire??? if so could you shed any light on my situation. Im running 3 5870's 5040x1050 settings high to full with good frame rates but hdr doesn't work :( and i miss it because it looks so much better with it on please help thanks