Need help for a new GPU

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Thomas16, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Thomas16

Thomas16 Registered

Hi everyone,

I play rFactor 1 for 3 years now and I intend to play rFactor 2 in some weeks. I play in DX9 but I'm looking for more FPS, here is my PC specifications, I wanna change my graphic card, and so I need advices. Please don't tell me, change your CPU, or buy a new whole PC, I'm only 16 and I can't afford spending too much money.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400*MHz, 4 "hearts"
    3GB Ram
    ATI Radeon HD 3400 series

I don't know much about compatiblity, can someone tell me which graphic card could I buy, (I can spend between 50 and 100€), to play rFactor 1 very easily and make good HD videos. Btw, I need a graphic card which supports Full HD with HDMI if possible.

Thanks in advance !

2. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Hello Thomas :)

I think the best graphics card you can purchase with the Q6600 would simply be the fastest card you can afford.

Lets say a minimum spec - Radeon HD5850/HD6850. Nvidia GTX460/560. Those cards arn't too expensive.

You could also try and save abit of money on the graphics card and put it towards getting another 1Gb of ram. The higher the graphics settings, the more ram you will use. You may go over 3Gb. What operating system do you have?

Also what motherboard do you have?

Are you capable of overclocking your CPU?

I too have a Q6600 but running at 3.4Ghz. If you could squeeze 3.0Ghz out of yours, that will be a better start !!

:)

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-105-GI&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=

That will run on a 400watt Power Supply >> which is all I expect you have....

*** You will need to have 2 spare 4pin connectors on your power supply to power the video card.

Cant expect miracles for $100EU limit

No way I would be getting a cheap ATi for rFactor2.

BTW: Where do you get a GTX560 for 100EU ( max. budget)

Besides a decent GTX560 would be poor value imho as it will not run to its potential.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
  4. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Just trying to help the lad out. After 5 days he had no answer from 'anybody' on here......

Also I was thinking more 2nd hand units and not brand new. Ebay is quite good these days you know :p

So you found a 550 for under a £100? brill, there you go Thomas.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
  5. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

DurgeDriven? Are you an old GTR player? ;)

6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

To the OP: First off, information needs to be presented to be able to answer knowledgeably. Knowing the motherboard would be a good start as that will help us determine what it is capable of handling.

Is the graphics processor part of the motherboard or is it a separate dedicated GPU?

We also need to find out what type of connectors your PSU or power supply has to determine if it can even power the newer cards. The watt rating of the PSU would also be helpful.

Knowing the operating system and if it is 32bit or 64bit is also helpful so we can determine if you are capable of handling more ram, and we need to know how much you have installed.

I will keep watching this thread and let you know what I think would be your best option once you respond.