Need a Graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by a30fyllos, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

.[​IMG]

Cards the same speed! :)

2. MJP

MJP Registered

Just don't rely on those charts alone, seen some dodgy scores on there, for instance it has my card (GTX470) above a HD6990, or a HD7770 scoring close on 50% more than a HD6850. If your primary reason for getting a card is to run games I'd take a look at tests more related to gaming.

3. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Its just relative to the software it uses, PerformanceTest v8.0, which is simplex to complex 3D graphics tests, well worthy for 2012 gaming performance tests. I can believe your 470 outperforms the 6990 in that test yes, maybe other benchmarks vary to this, like any :)

I ran PerformanceTest v7.0 not that long back and it was bang on for my HD5750, a score of 1,300 something, same as their test, so its sort of correct :)

Give it a try! ;)

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

For the best non biased testing of graphics cards, I always look at tomshardware.com. They have been doing hardware reviews and testing for quite some time and I have yet to see them perform tests with the idea to push one brand or another. Toms also does quarterly reviews for price versus performance and the articles are titled "Best Graphics Card for the Money" along with the month of the post, the last one I think was November. The last page of the article has a hierarchy chart from best on top to worst on bottom so it is easy to see where each card sits performance wise.

The nice thing is that you can see what the best bang for the buck is for what ever your budget.

5. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Yep, pretty good that Hierarchy page, not been there for yonks! I always remember them saying not worth upgrading for new stuff unless its 3 tiers above your old card. I havnt upgraded for years hehe :)

6. MJP

MJP Registered

I didn't say it wasn't correct, it is what it is, the OP wants a card for gaming (rF2 specifically) not 'PerformanceTest v7/8' or whatever. For gaming a 470 won't match a 6990 and a 7770 won't be 50% faster than a 6850 which is why I suggested he'd be better off looking at more relevant tests.

7. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Yep, your right bud, theres absolutely tons and tons of tests to choose from. That one is just particually easy and quick to run.. I would run 3dmarks like but they take so long to run when your fighting for more frames on a slow machine. Aquamark used to be good but outdated now. Just trying to help the bloke out. :)