mas file editing

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mick-S, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Mick-S

Mick-S Registered

I want to make all the cars in a series have new skins, not just the car I use, with the tuning / skin5_alt.dds approach.
    so I assumed the mas file needed editing.
    opened the mas tool and loaded the mas file
    selected all and extracted
    changed the dds for a car
    created a new mas and named it the same as the original
    put the new mas in the vehicles/dir
    doesn`t work
    obviously doing something wrong, any help much appreciated.

2. lagg

lagg Registered

You can't replace a mas for another one.
    You have to repackage the rfcmp or rfmod file. Or you can package an update of the component.
    And after create it, install the component.

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

What Lagg said.

The MD5 hash for all the MAS files is checked to make sure they haven't been altered from the original installed rfcmp. So simply editing them doesn't work.

4. Mick-S

Mick-S Registered

o.k thanks, do you happen to know of any good tutorials ?

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Not off hand. I sort of figured it out by playing around... But I am sure there are some around here somewhere.

6. rer8

rer8 Registered

Example of how to make a Car/Driver/Helmet Mas File & get them into the game.
    1. Go here (C:\Users\Xxxxx\Documents\rFactor2\Installed\Vehicles\ISI_Eve_Vehicle\1.48) to find the parts (helmet) that you need. (Double click mas file and select item, right click then extract the desired helmet and driver dds file.) Exit. Paint as desired.

Above is an example of naming convention of .mas file that allows the car, driver, and helmet to be dropped into the game and work. Name your .mas file like this: EVF23RRALT
    Notice that the name of the car.dds and the name of the .mas file are the same. You may want to consider having a naming convention to identify the Car model EV= EVE, and in the case of the F2/3 EVE the skin works for both so I used F23, RR = my initials, ALT (required, no spaces or underscore between your name and ALT). I dropped the .mas file into both an F2 & an F3 car folder.
    C:\Users\Randy\Documents\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\ISI_Eve_Vehicle\MS5_88
    C:\Users\Randy\Documents\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\ISI_Eve_Vehicle\MS7_22
    Start your game, click "tuning", select your car model/number (\ISI_Eve_Vehicle\MS5_88), cycle through the various skins until you find yours, click "back", and drive your new car skin, helmet, and driver.

September 8 2016. Update: Just noticed that the method shown above may not work, so you can (Open the mas2 tool and drop the car mas file in and right click the desired item "helmet" in my case and drop it in a known place so you can retrieve and paint.... Normal conventions of adding a skin/helmet apply.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2016
  7. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Can someone pls show me step by step how to update a component, e.g. the team.mas of a rfcmp?

8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Yes I can ;)
    I'm by far the best there is, but I get the job done.........
    What do you want to edit?

Lets do one thing first and I'll try to do a step-by-step for you.

9. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I like to edit the C6r_ZR1_teams.mas file. Replace the skins with own skins for a league race, where we don`t want to have the default team skins. I made a new mas file, but it`s not working. RF2 replace the team file with the original one after restart rF2.

10. lagg

lagg Registered

Here is a mini step by step tuto. (Navigator, i had it already done)

The first thing is that the component to update has to be installed.
    - Create the files that you want modify or add.
    - Create a mas file including the new files with Mas2.exe (located in \Support\Tools\).
    - Click in File...New in Mas2.exe (to clean the project)
    - Click on the box icon.
    - Click on the "Create single Cmp Package"
    - Select the package to update in the "Select component" Combo box. If the component isn't in the list, click on the sheet icon located at the right side of the combo and write the exact name of the component to update. It's important to write the name of the component correctly.
    - Choose a location and a name for the file to create. This is not important. This is only the name of the file. You can change later. But remember the location to find it :)
    - Write the version of the component that you are going to create. This is the version of your component. Then the number should be bigger than the component to update.
    - Choose the type of component.
    - Check the "Update from" checkbox
    - Write the version to update from (the component that you are going to update).
    - Add to the list the mas files to include in the package clicking in the file icon at the right side of the list. Theese are your mas files.
    - Click on Package.
    - Click on Done.

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Nice Lagg; saves me a lot of work ;)

12. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

@Juergen-BY
    Any reason why you not just using rFactor2's auto download of skins? I mean you jump on any server and you will see peoples skins download automatically to your computer and then they are viewable in game without you having to mess about editing team mas files or anything else like that. Once you have them downloaded, you don't need to download them again as they get stored on your computer.
    What happens if a league member needs to update their skin? Will people have to download another big update file again?
    Me just saying in case you not used them yet.

13. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Big thanks, i`ll give it a shot.

14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I thought, it`s just an update, then? Must i repack the whole MOD? How I understand the tut from lagg, I have to include into the update the new files only.

15. lagg

lagg Registered

Ok.
    I think we are mixing concepts.
    I've explained how to package a component (rfcmp).
    Now you are speaking about a mod (rfmod).
    Theese are different things.
    After create the component you will have to package the mod including the cars and the circuit/s.
    I don't have here rF2 to make a step by step, sorry.
    It's possible i can tomorrow.

Enviado desde mi TURBO DG2014 mediante Tapatalk

16. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

No, I doesn`t, I was talking about a MOD, not rfmod. I know, i have to make a new rfmod, including the update for the team.mas. What i understanding from your tutorial was, i can make an update (rfcmp) with the team.mas file, wich doesn`t should include all the file of the whole MOD?

Step 1: making rfcmp with the update of the team.mas
    Step 2: making rfmod with all files of the MOD including the update

But what`s going on with the including (old) team.mas? Would this file overwritten by the update?

//Edit: tried, but no luck. I believe, it`s not possible to update a MOD with e.g. team file. Mod Manager tells me " Update available", but after the update, all the other MOD files are removed and the team file is there, only.

I just want to replace the team.mas file with this update, but maybe I`m to dumb...or it`s not designated, to do this...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2014
  17. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Now i tried to solve my problem with using custom skins.

In Race07, when i`m adding a custom skin, i can have a new car, with his own car number, driver name, team name.

How can i do this with rF2?

My tries ended into the realisation, it`s not possible. I have to use an existing car, with the existing car number etc. and can only use a different skin. Is this really the whole custom skin support of rF2?

Please tell me, that I`m totally wrong...please.

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

If you want a driver to have his own car with team name and all that you will have to add a new VEH file and associated skin to the teams.mas.

The easiest way to do this is to extract the current teams.mas and then open an existing veh file to use as a template. Edit what you want and then save it with a new name. Then open the origional teams.mas and drag your new files and drop them on the mas2 tool. Then hit the X to close and then click yes to save when it prompts. Then double click on the MFT file and it will open in my Component Builder tool. In my tool you can change the name of the component to what ever you want to call it for your league. Then click the package button and it will spit out a new rfcmp file that contains your new teams.

I am on my phone right now so it's hard to dig up a link to my component builder tool. But search should find it for you. Also look or my MAS extractor tool. It will make extracting MAS files and opening MAS files easier. You just double click to open on and right click on a MAS and select extract to extract one.

19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Thanks Noel for your reply,

just to don`get it wrong: for each changes on our skins, i have to build up a rfcmp file for the complete MOD, no way to replace the team.mas file?

Wich would means, every league member must download tons of files, just to add a skin?

I`m wrong, please tell, I`m really wrong!

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

You could also build an "update" component that only includes the teams.mas but it's typically the largest MAS in the veh component so you will not be saving much. But your members will not have to download "tons of files" either way. It's just one rfcmp.

The days of loose veh files are gone. Time to accept that.