mas file editing

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mick-S, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Thanks Noel,
    but it`s hard to accept backward steps...

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Depending on the need of the new component I would proceed differently. If you are holding an entire championship I would make a new complete component just using the required teams and their skins.
    It will be easy to update and the effort is worth it. You can redefine classes to match your SLS also.

For a single event, I would just update the component with the new teams and include it in the vmod to update the original component. When the vmod is uninstalled the update of the component is also uninstalled. Easy for everybody.

I forgot to mention that current mod manager is not working properly and cars cannot be updated .... ISI will fix this issue in next build hopefully...

enviado mediante tapatalk

3. Mick-S

Mick-S Registered

sorry I havn`t been here for a while, but thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, much appreciated.

4. Amanda Simoni

Amanda Simoni Registered

Sorry, but I'm new to this. I'm trying to use Rfactor for an academic research and I need to change some items from any vehicle to see how the steering behaves. I copied the .MAS files from any car, renamed them, changed the parameters I wanted, and created a new component. The problem is that when I test on Rfactor 2 the car does not seem to be connected to the steering wheel and other joystick items. Do you know why this happens? When this does not happen, a blue screen appears as sky and only the dashboard of the car. I really do not know what to do.

5. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@Amanda Simoni You can not easily edit every value.
    Especially the steering values are very sensitive.
    They correspont with the chassis.ini values.
    If you change steering values like SteeringShaftBase left and right or SteeringInnerTable, the game will crash in most cases, like you describe, because the edited values don't correspont with the values in the chassis.ini anymore.

6. Amanda Simoni

Amanda Simoni Registered

So for my case, would I have to design a car from the start to make sure it worked? Do you know of anyone who could kindly hand over a MOD truck? My research is in the area of heavy vehicles, so at least with a MOD so I would know how the steering behaves. For as long as I have for it, I can not develop from the beginning.

7. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Well that might solve my problem Bernd, thanks very much. ;)
    I am having HDV problems approximately like how you described.
    Anything else to keep in mind ?

8. Amanda Simoni

Amanda Simoni Registered

What are you trying to modify in the .HDV file? I am curious..

9. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@Amanda Simoni and @ceecee If i should answer to the question for what you have to take care, i would have to write a novel. :)
    In general, if you want to create a mod from scratch, i would recommend to take a look at the physics spreadsheet, offered by @Michael Borda , that generates the main physics files.
    By using that spreadsheet, you minimize the probability of getting crashes, when you try to drive the car.
    Editing files by hand is not as easy as it was with rfactor 1, anymore.

Here is the link to the spreadsheet (download libre office to use it)
    https://docs.studio-397.com/develop...Physics+Calculator+V0.33+FISI+2012+PUBLIC.ods

and here are some more helpful things for modders.
    https://www.studio-397.com/modding-resources/
    https://docs.studio-397.com/developers-guide/

10. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Thanks for the answer Bernd !
    Not smart enough to make a Mod from scratch sadly :(
    I was altering a mod, everything worked fine until I did the HDV file, then when loading the wheel would go hard left and game would crash.
    Not knowing where to begin, by chance I came across your post and now will try again.

11. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@ceecee Do you remember what you have edited in the HDV, before it crashed?
    It's always a good way to edit one thing at a time and test it before you edit the next thing, to be able to identify the cause of a problem, more easy.

12. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Thanks for the good advice !
    I will take more time now to go throught the HDV file (did not realise how powerful it was)

13. Amanda Simoni

Amanda Simoni Registered

I'm trying to model a truck. But it's hard to make it work, can anyone help me with this? Maybe someone who has done something similar can give me some tips.

14. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@Amanda Simoni Where exactly do you have the problem with it?

The hardest thing in modding is, to grab together the informations about how to do it.
    I think everybody who is modding, has done it.
    There is no guide like 'do this, then that and that and then it is done'.

If you have the 3d of the truck, it is, depending on the structure of the 3d, not so hard to get it into the game.
    But to have it in the game and to have it in the game as a simulation of the real vehicle, is something totally different.

To get it into the game, look at the Skip Barber in the DevMode Vehicle folder.
    Look into the Files with the extension 'gen' and adapt your 3d to that structure.
    You maybe have to split parts like tires and rims, if your 3d is a single mesh only.
    You can find more informations about it, when you download some of the files, that are available when you follow the links that i have posted already in my post #29.
    Go here:
    https://www.studio-397.com/modding-resources/
    and download the pdf files in the category Modding Resources (Cars).

15. Amanda Simoni

Amanda Simoni Registered

I'm using the spreadsheet to generate the files. But there is not all that data available to insert into the file. One doubt I have eg about .GEN and .DDS files. How are these files generated?

16. Bernd

Bernd Registered

GEN Files can not be generated. They simply list the parts of a car that are shown in the game.
    If you would download the pdf manuals, you would know what the gen files are for.
    Please download and read the pdf files, they will answer a lot of questions. ;)
    And dds files are the textures that are used to skin the meshes.
    You can create dds files with every painting sofware that supports that format.
    For example photoshop and paint.net can do it.

17. Amanda Simoni

Amanda Simoni Registered