Lolz...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kristoff Rand, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I was on google looking for .pm information and found this... thought I might share the laugh.

fanboys fighting over why Shift/GTR/C.A.R.S. has the same physics files as rFactor. with different extensions. and the exact same content.

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/project-cars-controller-input-needs-attention.38506/

I don't know if it's appropriate to post this here, but as a long time rFactor Fanboy... I couldn't help myself.

admin feel free to delete this if you wish.

2. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Let them argue amongst themleves and feel good in yourself knowing that while they argue and marvel over pretty graphics. We get to actually race and feel decent FFB and the best physics out there even in beta form.

80% of the time with pCARS and SHIFT all i ever did was take screenshots and make videos, 90% of the time with rF2 i race it. Says it all

1 person likes this.
  3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

They all use some portion of our software. This does NOT mean they use the same physics, the same graphics, or infact anything which the regular user looks at. Sometimes it's easier and quicker to buy the infrastructure, and that's what some companies do. They then plough their own resources into the additional components.

If they didn't license our engines like this, then we'd be missing out on some of our income as a company...

IMHO every racing GAME or SIM which is released all helps every other developer. Anybody who ever buy any racing game or sim, may eventually try rFactor or rFactor2, and if they don't, the chances are they're still buying something made with our engine - so we still get paid.

IMHO the only place there is a rivalry is with sections of the community, the devs don't care (I've worked for two major devs, neither had a rivalry attitude).

4. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Very true. Over the last 12 months or so it really seems to have gone down hill within the community. VirtualR used to be pretty good but it now has that Forza vs GT5 feel that plagues all the Youtube videos of those games. We were stuck with the last generation of sims for so long that we should be embracing what we are getting right now. But instead you can go into a rF2 thread and you will get pCARS fans slating the graphics. You will go into a pCARS thread and be met with arcade physics and NFS posts.

It's goes on and on and it's just getting boring. Never used to be so aggressive a while back with the older sims and people choice of sim. Really don't know what has happened

5. 88mphTim

People don't buy games to last. They want a quick thrill and they want it now. You ever seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

Games used to be an experience. They'd come in a box, you'd have something physical. You'd have a manual and you'd sometimes have posters, diagrams, even fictional stories! When I used to buy a game, I bought it with the intention of playing it 'forever'. These days I finish a game quick or even sometimes buy something on Steam and never actually install it... That's sad.

Unfortunately there is no difference in perception between those games, and a dev making a game they intend to last a long time. It is basically the encroachment of (the mostly negative aspects of) gaming culture onto simracing.

6. bastins

bastins Registered

You're right. Sadly, the internet generation has turned everything into a competition. Battlefield vs. Call of Duty; DICE vs. Activision; PlayStation 3 vs. XBox 360; Console vs PC; Minecraft vs. Anything-with-blocks; etc., etc., etc.

I'm guessing internet anonymity is largely responsible - these kids today can, without any consequences, say whatever they want, and blast anyone for anything. So, if someone has a different opinion than them... bombs away.

7. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It is not about internet. Just check out Commodore vs Atari computer wars.).
    It is about people who usually love to convince about greatness of things they own.

8. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Yeah it's a shame it has become like that and we don't really seem these days to appreciate just how much effort goes into these projects. The Steam thing is also very familiar, i know for me around the xmas sale just gone i think i must of bought 7 or 8 games just for the sake of them being cheaper and in all honesty have possibly installed and played two of them.

But still until recently the sim community had always been different from the rest like the shooters or even the console sims. I suppose though with the growth of semi sim titles like the SHIFT series on PC it has broadened the community somewhat. It was never enough to satisfy someone who had been racing previous sims but possibly opened the floodgates and was a decent introduction for newcomers into car sims.

I just find it very annoying now the way things have gone, there just seems to be no respect there now and if it's not shiny it's basically crap.

Still rF2 will shine and last a long time as it's pretty obvious the time has been spent to give the user that experience that a sim should deliver.

Yeah i think your right, it is so easy now just to hide behind a username and spout crap wherever and whenever these days.

9. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

Well I'd just like to say that I am enjoying both rFactor 2 and pCARS in equal amounts, and considering niether one is finshed yet they are both damn good :)

so people should chill out and enjoy :)

Simon

1 person likes this.
  10. maatriks

maatriks Registered

Well, there are games I buy and just flick through and then there are games I buy to last. One of them was Mafia, second was rFactor and third is rFactor 2. I have played rFactor for 4 years now (wow, time sure passes fast) and I am about to start a new Formula season in our league on it. The same will apply to rFactor 2 surely.

Also there are people that play Battlefield and Call of Duty versions for years, or Elder Scrolls versions etc. So I would not say people do not appreciate and play games as much as they used to, they do indeed, it's just that some people prefer FPS, some people prefer sim-racing. And so some people play FPS game for years and flick through rFactor 2 for example and others flick through FPS game and play rFactor 2 for years.

People like to say, that grass was greener and sky more blue when they were younger, but it is not so, not always at least. People do still appreciate the work devs put into games, they just appreciate it more in the genre they prefer.

I am sorry, if my post is hard to understand at some points, English is not my native language and I am not terribly good at writing even in my native language.

11. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I think it read very easily and was well written.

12. Bart S

Bart S Member

+1, but I have to add when I first experienced rFactor after coming from an xBox playing forza 1 + 2 and then getting my first high end PC and found rFactor I found it by youtube videos of drifting etc the car motion looked more true to life than I ever seen before thats what has brought me here and kept me here, the realim of the simulator that rfactor is. I really loved TDU and forza on xbox but rFactor is serious passion nuff said. I'm hooked for life and dont change your ways ISI passion before money, will keep you making money for longer.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012
  13. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

Tim... I haven't laughed that hard in a while, I remember watching Willy Wonka when it came out. Great stuff.

14. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Because I rarely do online racing now, I found that I am now longing for championship/scripted events. The championship series in rFactor1 can't give me better sense of achievements or merits. I'm afraid this will happen to rFactor2 as well. I also realized that I am now playing DiRT3, F1 2011, and NFS Shift 2, just because of their championship mode and 'time attack' mode. And the good old Richard Burns Rally is still able to give me great feeling whenever I was able to beat my own stage time. :)

So, basically what I would love to see in rFactor2 is the ability to store my lap time in-game, in order to give me that feel and sense of achievement. Maybe some day, somebody will create a plugin to cater this, however I believe an in-game implementation (complete with victory animations or still images) will give much better overall atmosphere than a plugin.

15. 88mphTim

Check the posts of user: hoover :)

16. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Eh? Will do sir, thanks! :)

EDIT:
    Ah yes, this is one of the plugin that I was thinking about. I haven't try it though. Thanks Tim.

However, Tim, do you think rF2 will have better championship mode than rF1? At least similar to F1C if possible. :)

17. 88mphTim

I haven't been any part of the discussion. *I* would like one (prefer to race offline most of the time, unless I find a league).

18. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

A lot of it is being phased out bit by bit.

New tire model on the way!!! And oddly it was created by ISI ;)

19. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I know literally nothing about any of those sims/games whatever.

I started sim racing with Nascar Racing by Papyrus way back in the day, and I mean maybe 94? and moved through those, 2,3... then got EA Nascar Thunder 2004, then tried Nascar Racing 2005 by EA and didn't like it. then tried rFactor and been here ever since.

20. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

One thing that has happened in the last 3 or so years is the rise of the aggressively advertised "console simulator" I think this is what gets pc users and sim racers frustrated.

these console "sims" are marketed as realistic driving games very aggressively but ultimately are designed to be played with a joystick and lack the feel of a more realistic sim. The arguments tend to come from users that insist the pc ports of these console games match the feel of the core pc simulators allot of these people have not played all the games to really know one way or the other.

For example I see less argument over NKP, LFS, RF1 , GTR evo ,RF2 (more just people stating a general preference for certain features) Than I see over C.a.r.s v the later games or F1 2010 v the later games. Granted c.a.r.s is in beta still and I assume they are going to move the physics away from shift / car movements designed around joystick control.

The only real thing i dislike is that allot of the new console "sims" are really bland , at least in the past the console driving games that were semi realistic and not full arcade made up for the lack of realism/depth in the physics by having fun game play and nice features PGR's kudos for example. Or just really accessible interfaces and clear objectives , Load up Forza 4 or GT5 and it takes 3-10min of going though menus and loading to get into a race.

IF you play RF2,NKP,iracing then games like forza4 and f12010/2011 just feel really tedious to play , but I guess if you don't own a pc are someone that's not very good at driving / likely to play with assists on and have never played a decent sim they are probably ok.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012