Latest Roadmap Update - January 2017!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

agree 100%
    and i'm very happy that these things are discussed here now in the early stages of developement :)

and we would really need couple of these sliders. if the game is going to stay as a modding platform inconsistency in visual appearance is going to be atleast somewhat an issue.

now lets say that you build an championship or just a mod package with tracks from few different authors, that all prefer or used different colour and saturation setting in their machines that they used to create the tracks, they're all going to look atleast little bit different.

if the sliders are in the ui, you would allways have to go back to the ui to change the settings every time the tracks rotate.
    and racing online with a mod package like mentioned before, that would mean disconnect every time to adjust the settings every time the tracks rotate.

i can think of few ways to keep the visual appearance consistent without getting back to ui to change the settings.

1 put the sliders in to the game (this could mean major work for the devs)

2 make the settings saveable per track. that would still mean hopping back and fort between game and ui but once you got it done, it would be done and would keep the visuals consistent.

3 both (this would be ideal, but prob a lot of work for the devs)

would love to hear your thoughts on this? if the devs like to say something about this it would be very welcome ;)

Arne Senna likes this.
  2. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

I'll speak for "the devs". We like constructive feedback (positive or negative) on any of the things on the roadmap. Balancing the updates in the visuals is an important aspect of what we're doing and we definitely don't consider the preview shot "done" but we did want to show you a glimpse of what we are working on. Improved and more consistent visuals are important to us, and next month, when we start involving modding teams, we will make sure we provide them with hint and tips on how to update their content to look as good as possible. So keep the feedback coming!

3. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

For those who like a more saturated look, more contrast etc:

[​IMG]

It does not cost you fps.

@Marcel Offermans : Increasing contrast and saturation is more easy then going back from strong contrast and saturation.

Marc Collins, bwana and The Iron Wolf like this.
  4. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

Thank you for your lightning fast reply! :) i think we all know that those previews were just what you said they were.
    and to be honest still images are not that good anyhow to show how it looks while you are behind the wheel. i think we all know that too.
    so keep em coming ;)

and for the saturated look im with Gijs. monitor settings, videocard settings, sweetFx, and reshade can get you as much saturation as you like, you dont need dx11 for that.

im more after consistency my self. that has been my main upset since rF1. the fact that all content is so unsimilar in appearance that it forces you to fiddle with setting all the time. im old man and i dont have that much time for the endless tweaking anymore. i would just like to hop in a car every once in a while and enjoy the experience.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    Guimengo likes this.
  5. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

when and in what way will you be involving modding teams, and which ones?

Guimengo likes this.
  6. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

I was hinting to get those contrast, color gamma, vibrance, settings in the rF2 UI. :)

Easy to understand and to setup to your liking. :cool:

7. Marcel Offermans

We will announce that in next month's roadmap update, and the invitation will be open to all modding teams that are interested.

8. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

my bad. yeah that would be great. and if the content is going to get more consistent in looks, thats all we need really. everyone would get what he/she likes :)
    still i have my doubts about having consistency in released content between official and 3party..
    i mean i dont expect the official and 3pa tracks (conversions or scratch made) to be similar in quality, but the contrast, saturation etc levels should be pretty much the same to avoid constant tweaking of the settings.

i hope the collaboration between the devs and modders is going to be close and productive :)

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

the info updates are great thanks, I can use rfactor 2 again when VR compatibility is released, hoping current state of VR is communicated too on update

big big thanks

10. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Marcel, any Internals model changes coming soon, and need testing/updates in plugins? Thanks.

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Still haven't found the "Let Dave Win" UI setting. Is it a plugin?

12. Marcel Offermans

To me, plugin authors are also "modders" so we'll include those in that program as well.

13. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

You need to scan through .json, I think I saw it somewhere.

14. Flaux

Flaux Registered

tbh...a tonemapper/contrast and saturation is the least to worry about, because every monitor is different... so to me there is no need at all to do anything regarding those settings... it will NOT transform rf2 into next-gen graphics.

15. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Exactly because every monitor is different I would very much appreciate sliders for saturation, gamma and more.
    The best would be if it is in main menu AND on track. And then there also should be a button "save to current track"
    what saves the settings in the UserData/Track-folder. When the game recognizes there is a setting, it should load that
    otherwise use the global, actual setting.

Kelju_K and Daytona 675 like this.
  16. stonec

stonec Registered

Colors/tone is the number one thing people complain about. rF2 looks too cartoony, rF2 looks too washed out so I quit playing it, etc. People rarely care about details in the graphics engine, they just fire it up and if they don't see expected colors, they think it's a game from 2005. So that's precisely why it should be adjustable, at least on some level.

Kelju_K and Marc Collins like this.
  17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I dont think colours alone make something look cartoony but graphical quality can certainly make any pic look cartoony.
    example of nice bright grass and sky with no sign of looking like a cartoon ,
    As Long as S397 can improve on what we already have but keep the underlining feel i think they will be in for some increased sales and be some real competition to upcoming sequels PC2/GTS and even give FM a run in the sales department .
    I just hope they have a great marketing team to help get new players involved . That's where the money will come from .

Attached Files:

18. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

What about bringing back HDR profiles? Would that be good idea or bad? Is it even possible now?

19. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Yeah,...then give them hdr profiles like in AC.
    It is hilarious how much some of the users fiddle around with it, searching for the holy grail and fight each other about who has the best of the best of the best settings/profiles.

20. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I hope s397 manages to improve RF2 visuals without using those latency increasing postprocessing effects that AC uses.